News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Northern Scotland courses
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
Jim,

My course (Brahan Golf Club) is just outside Dingwall north of Inverness. We are a 9 hole pay & play course with two sets of tees and two flags on each hole and the course will be reversible by this summer. You would be more than welcome to play and if you are looking for accommodation we have a guest house on the course.

As for recommendations I will stick with courses close by.

Royal Dornoch, Brora and Castle Stuart are obvious choices. Golspie, Moray (old & new), Nairn and Tain are all worth consideration. For not so well known ones then Spey Bay and Cullen are both fun courses.

Inland ones to consider would be Strathpeffer, Boat of Garten, Granton on Spey and the new course at Aviemore. For nine holers think about Portmahomack, Covesea, Ullapool, Bonar Bridge, Fort Augustus, Carrbridge and Abernethy.

There are lots more but any of the above will not disappoint.

PM me if you want help with finding accommodation or tee times,

Jon

Michael George

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

Another question:

Prestwick, Troon, Western Gailes and Turnberry 

OR

Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay and Aberdeen

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
Michael

Jeepers, you are trying to cover every angle.

I would take north & east over west.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Michael George

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Michael

Jeepers, you are trying to cover every angle.

I would take north & east over west.

Ciao

I am nothing if not thorough.  I live from golf trip to golf trip.  if you saw one of my itineraries, you would laugh.  I research the pubs that I am going to drink at before I go - it is as important as the golf sometimes.  Speaking of which, would love some feedback of great restaurants and pubs along the path.  Thanks again Sean for your help.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

David_Tepper

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Michael G. -

If you do decide to spend some time in the Dornoch area, just let me know. I would be happy to fill you in on places to eat & drink.

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
Anyone planning to visit the Highlands for golf this summer should be aware of the tournaments that several courses are hosting. It is likely these courses will not be available for visitor play while the tournaments are running.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/Sport/Golf/North-golfers-in-for-a-treat-this-year-7503859.htm

Michael George

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »
Michael G. -

If you do decide to spend some time in the Dornoch area, just let me know. I would be happy to fill you in on places to eat & drink.

DT

David - thank you.  I will let you know.  I am in the early planning stage right now.  If you had a time of year that you would travel to the Highlands, what would it be.  I would want the best weather possible with the courses being in the best condition possible over saving a few bucks on course rates.

David_Tepper

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »
Michael -

My suggestion would be to go either late May/early June or mid-September.

In late May/early June, the gorse is in bloom (the countrysdie is beautiful!) and there is plenty of daylight. Schools every where are still in session, which cuts down on families vacationing.

By mid-September, most people have finished their summer vacations and things have quieted down. There is still good weather and more than enough daylight.

My experience is that weather in northern Scotland is pretty much random from mid-April to mid-October. You can get very good or very bad weather in any time period. Satistically, the Inverness/Dornoch area gets the least rainfall (and most sunshine) of just about any place in Scotland.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back