News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Best Holes by Architect: Tom Doak
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »
While I agree with most of the holes nominated at Pac Dunes, Lost Dunes, Old Mac and Ballyneal,  one that hasn't been mentioned is #8 at Bahia de los Suenos.  Great short 4 at 325 that plays into the prevailing wind off the bay with an arroyo angling across the fairway that one has to decide whether to try to carry and a very interesting green.  There's also a hole at Legends Heathland with a very good elevated green that I liked a lot (18 I think).
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »
I thought I would resurrect this thread to see if anyone's opinions have changed overtime ie: seven years ? Plus to see if any new one's should be added ?

Peter Flory

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2018, 01:22:10 AM »
Old Mac #3 is one of my favorite holes anywhere.  1-3 is such an amazing opening stretch.
Streamsong Blue #4 really stands out to me as well. 

I guess I'm a sucker for the heroic elements. 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:23:41 AM by Peter Flory »

Michael George

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Since most holes have already been mentioned, I will list the most underrated holes at each course that I have played:

Pacific Dunes - #7 Just a wonderful, natural hole with a great green complex
Old Macdonald - #13  Maybe the best green complex at Old Mac and one of the most unique in his portfolio
Ballyneal - #16 The pass through the dunes makes for an incredible interesting 2nd shot; every shot matters on this par 5
Streamsong Blue - #2 Width before the recent width craze, yet still interesting, which width sometimes negates
Lost Dunes -  #2 - was this the first modern Alps designed? 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:17:21 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bob Montle

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
My favorites TO PLAY were Dismal Red #9 and #18
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2018, 03:37:45 PM »
In terms of a 3 hole stretch, I don't think I have a more favorite TD set than 14-16 at Rock Creek. 

All par 4s and all excellent...but yet play so different with varying yardages, shot requirements, and ways to play em!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »
In terms of a 3 hole stretch, I don't think I have a more favorite TD set than 14-16 at Rock Creek. 

All par 4s and all excellent...but yet play so different with varying yardages, shot requirements, and ways to play em!

Cart ride on 14 is really good  ;D. But agree this is a wonderful stretch with 3 fantastic holes.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »

Cart ride on 14 is really good  ;D . But agree this is a wonderful stretch with 3 fantastic holes.

I had forgot about that...I may have to dig up that pic for old times sake.  :D

But yes, so many terrific stretches out there, 9-11, 3-5, I don't think I would ever tire of RCCC!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »
Lost Dunes -  #2 - was this the first modern Alps designed?
Didn't Pete Dye design a bunch in the 80s?
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Eric LeFante

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
I love 10 and 18 at Stonewall Old. I heard Tom speak about the Old, and those two holes were the only two that he really changed from the original Fazio routing I believe. He changed each to go in the opposite direction that Fazio laid out, and I think it was a brilliant move.

A lot of 18th holes climb uphill because club houses are placed in high points of the property. The 18th on the Old plays downhill, which makes it stand out amongst finishing holes.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 05:09:29 AM »

Streamsong Blue - #2 Width before the recent width craze, yet still interesting, which width sometimes negates

FINALLY.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Eric Smith

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
I think the most interesting hole on the Red course at Dismal River is the par 4 7th. It is anything but a conventional hole, in the spirit of say a Rye 13 or Silloth 13, particularly from the back tees and especially when the wind is crossing!

Ash Towe

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Tara Iti number 3.  Good par 4 with an amazing punchbowl green.

Tara Iti number 7.  Short part 4 with a number of different ways to play it. My favourite hole on this course.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »
I think Ash has the winner here....  7 at Tara Iti.  The most unique may be another #7, at Ballyneal.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
Not sure when this was written/updated but it comes direct from Renaissance Golf Design -
https://www.renaissancegolf.com/279/rgds-best-holes
Atb

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »
Thanks for revival of this one KP.

Last year I was lucky to have added Tara Iti to my group.

P3 - #17 -amazing hole around 150m as the shortest hole, bunkering, green contours, angle to the breeze. Love it.

Short P4 - #7 - agree with Ash, a great hole, challenging and offers loads of variety.

Med P4 - #1 - it is not quite drivable (for most), really great opening hole and again, the angles off the tee and into the raised benched green are memorable.

Long P4 - #3 (if I have to pick one) - for me, this hole is probably the one played in the largest variety of ways from the golfers....guessing.

P5 - toss up between #11 & #18 - at this stage, my preference is for the finishing hole, not long, but challenging to navigate your way to the really nice green site.
@theflatsticker

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 06:10:57 AM »
Really nice suggestions Brett.
Agree with all of them.
So many holes to love at Tara Iti.
A wonderful opener. I loved 8 too!

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »
Streamsong Blue's seventeenth is one of my favourite par fives anywhere.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Matthew Prince

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
TD:

I know this is a seven year old post from you, but I just saw it. I am very interested in what you like so much about #8 at PD.

I love PD - one of my favorite courses I've played - but I have always considered #8 to be the weakest hole on the course. Dead flat and super wide, you can really drive it anywhere you want without significantly improving or reducing your advantage on the approach. I guess the green site is kind of cool with the banking around it, but it also allows for mishits into the green to often funnel down to the putting surface. I find PD to be an extremely strategically interesting course - on pretty much every tee box you need to think hard about where you want to end up - but I find #8 to be the exception to this rule. 

I don't mean this at all to be offensive, but rather to understand a little better what you like so much about this hole and what I am missing in my view of it.

Best,
Matt

What say you Tom Doak?
Which are your best (favorite) holes?

Pete:

Yes, I'm on record on our web site, but it's nice to see so many different holes nominated by others, and to hear the reasoning for the selections.

I've always told golf writers that I have two kinds of favorite holes.

The first kind are the holes like the 13th at Pacific Dunes, or the 8th at Ballyneal, or the soon-to-be 3rd at Dismal River.  These were just laying there waiting for me to find them; but, once you've found them, there really isn't too much to do or to be proud of.

The other kind are holes like the 18th at Stonewall (Old course), or the 8th at Pacific Dunes, or the 7th at Ballyneal, where I didn't know exactly what we were going to do when we started building those courses.  I'm really the proudest of holes like those, where after a long period of staring at them, something clicked in my brain and we wound up with something really good that I never expected.

I'm surprised that no one has picked a hole from Lost Dunes yet, either.  I've got several favorites there.

Sean_A

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
I have only seen one TD course, but I reckon the RC's 8th is an excellent hole despite the narrowed fairway.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:46:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Nicolas Joakimides

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
Hello,

My favorite is Streamsong 16th.

I played two rounds on the blue and I had to hit a 3 wood for both rounds and I especially like to play left and see the ball coming back on the green !
 ;)
(I really like to hit a driver, 3wood or 5 woods towards a flag , and of course to design such holes...)

NJ

Kyle Harris

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Hello,

My favorite is Streamsong 16th.

I played two rounds on the blue and I had to hit a 3 wood for both rounds and I especially like to play left and see the ball coming back on the green !
 ;)
(I really like to hit a driver, 3wood or 5 woods towards a flag , and of course to design such holes...)

NJ

Love that this thread has illuminated two of the most unappreciated holes at Streamsong.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

John Foley

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »
The Loop Red # 2 - love how the green site sits and how if you are at all right of the line to the green your approach is soo much tougher.

Streamsong Blue # 5 - sucker for a well designed short par 3 and it's about as good as it gets w/ the knob front, short bunker / drop off left and that back right bowl. Could play that hole forever. Also really liked #6.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Michael Pelliccione

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
The 7th at Ballyneal (aka E green).   Can't think of a hole that offers you more variety off the tee box that ends with one of the most diabolical green complexes out there...   Back right pin location surely will lead to a double if you try and go for it!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
TD:

I know this is a seven year old post from you, but I just saw it. I am very interested in what you like so much about #8 at PD.

I love PD - one of my favorite courses I've played - but I have always considered #8 to be the weakest hole on the course. Dead flat and super wide, you can really drive it anywhere you want without significantly improving or reducing your advantage on the approach. I guess the green site is kind of cool with the banking around it, but it also allows for mishits into the green to often funnel down to the putting surface. I find PD to be an extremely strategically interesting course - on pretty much every tee box you need to think hard about where you want to end up - but I find #8 to be the exception to this rule. 

I don't mean this at all to be offensive, but rather to understand a little better what you like so much about this hole and what I am missing in my view of it.

Best,
Matt

Some of the more memorable holes I've built which fall into the "flash of inspiration" category (where I wasn't sure at first how they would turn out, but then made a key decision later) include a lot of my best holes

High Pointe 13
Stonewall Old 18
Ballyneal 7
Barnbougle 4
Pacific Dunes 8
Old Mac 7 & 8

These are not all "original" ideas - for example the 7th at Ballyneal is loosely based on the 7th at Crystal Downs.  But it wasn't planned that way; I had to stare at the green site for several days before I realized that would be the perfect solution for it.
Garland:  I chose the 8th because I had no idea what to create there at the start of construction and then the idea for it came in a flash later on.  I know most people wouldn't single out that as one of the best holes, though I am personally quite fond of it.

By contrast, #7 was pretty obvious once we found the mounded features in front of the green, and #9 was more of a necessity, the only reasonable way I saw to get to #10 tee.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back