News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Tree trimming at Pasatiempo
« on: December 24, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
Kudos to the superintendent at Pasatiempo for their recent work.  Instead of taking out the trees, they trimmed the trees from the ground up 50 feet.  Makes a big difference.

Before.

After.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Tree trimming at Pasatiempo
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »
I feel dirty...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 12:01:29 AM »
Plays better, looks worse...

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 03:23:07 AM »
I wonder how Pasa would look if the trees between 6 and 7 were eliminated? Would it still be safe (assuming it is now)?

Tim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 09:14:37 AM »
And the main reason was???
Coasting is a downhill process

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I have seen an old aerial photo of pasatiempo, there are no trees except for some scattered oak trees.  It looks pretty awesome, there were also no houses.  Nice picture including Mackenzie's old house in the background.  I think the trees will look better if they thin the top, so they aren't so bushy.

RDecker

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
Members seem to be having a harder time pulling the trigger on major tree removals these days.  Even when they are in favor they seem hesitant to go ahead partly/mostly because of concerns over safety and the possibility of errant shots particularly around greens complexes.
In the absence of a complete removal the type of trimming here seen is becoming more common at clubs.  As an architecture fan I don't really love it but as a super I accept that it does prove beneficial and improve turf quality.  You gotta know which battles can be won and when to compromise when it comes to the tree issues at a club. In a world run by insurance companies and lawyers the club members don't want to be the ones blamed when someone gets injured.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »

After playing it yesterday, it's not bad and doesn't look bad.  The 7th is now completely playable and not a problem.

Pasa is in the best condition I have seen.  Not only did they trim some trees but they installed a new irrigation system and I'm told they are using 30% less water.  There are huge areas in which they are not watering and the contrast between the brown grass and green grass is quite attractive.  They have also cut back the rough on a number of holes, getting back to Macs preferred fairways.   

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

After playing it yesterday, it's not bad and doesn't look bad.  The 7th is now completely playable and not a problem.

Pasa is in the best condition I have seen.  Not only did they trim some trees but they installed a new irrigation system and I'm told they are using 30% less water.  There are huge areas in which they are not watering and the contrast between the brown grass and green grass is quite attractive.  They have also cut back the rough on a number of holes, getting back to Macs preferred fairways.   
Joel,
    Sounds great. How much do you think the safety between #6 and #7  has been changed by the trimming? Your photos appear to be looking back down #7 before and after the trimming. Was there any trimming up the tree between #7 and #8? I can't see any.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »

Joel, what would you estimate the stimp reading was?

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

Joel,
    Sounds great. How much do you think the safety between #6 and #7  has been changed by the trimming? Your photos appear to be looking back down #7 before and after the trimming. Was there any trimming up the tree between #7 and #8? I can't see any.

Ed,

Good to see you active and posting.

Actually, Joel posted a pic on another thread showing from the 8th tee and how things now open up to even show the 9th in the distance, but it's tough to tell from that pic how the left side to the 8th looks like.  Here's a photo taken in May 2011 when I played with Kyle H. and Mark P.

To put it mildly, the tree management work has made a HUGE difference in my mind throughout the course.  For instance, you can now see the 16th green from the tee and that plays into the strategy in my book.

Bottom line is you need to see it again to believe it.

Not that they weren't believers before (because I'm sure they were), but both Joel and Gib were shaking their heads a lot yesterday.  As in, how can Pasatiempo NOT get more attention.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

Is it just me, or does that still look over-treed (and unnatural)? Those that have seen the course, would it really be a safety issue if the entire tree(s) were removed?
H.P.S.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »

Is it just me, or does that still look over-treed (and unnatural)? Those that have seen the course, would it really be a safety issue if the entire tree(s) were removed?
[/quote]

I played Pasa in July last year.

The 6th plays quite narrow so I think the trees that separate it to the 7th, down the right side, need to remain. However, the trees down the left, perhaps three of four tree stumps up, could be removed, opening up the driving zone a little. Combine this with trimmed limbs on both sides, the width would be perfectly acceptable.

Others that have played it, thoughts on this?
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
If anything, it looks to me as if additional tree management was been performed on that area of the 6th - 8th between 5-11 and now.

As Matthew Mollica pointed out on Joel's other thread, errant shots can kill...

It's tough to say if any tree removal down that area could be done without creating any potential problems.  Also ... there could be some restrictions for tree removal.  As in if a tree is removed, another has to be planted somewhere else on the property.  That would not surprise me.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back