News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Macpherson

What is the Best 9 holes of Links Golf in UK and beyond...
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »
Here's some to mull over (over your mulled wine...)

I've been wondering what is the best 9 holes of links golf. I was thinking in the UK, but there seems no reason not to widen this question to the world.

Balance is important. So I happen to think that the 9 holes should, but need not have to have, 2 par fives, and 2 par three's. I like a links that tests ball control, is undulating, and fun! It could be an actual nine hole course (e.g. Musselburgh Old Links), but given they are rare, will more likely be the best 9 holes of links golf comes from the front or back nine of an 18 hole course. This 9 holes would be the holes you may prefer to play more than any other. And if you had to play 18 holes, you may prefer to play twice rather than the other nine holes (if it's an 18 hole course).

Having asked Tom D about this via email, he came up with the front nine at Royal County Down, font nine at Rye and back nine at TOC. Pretty hard to disagree with any of those. I also like the front nine at Birkdale and the back nine at Muirfield (great change of directions). Is James Braid's back nine of Carnoustie the best links golf? It's testing, heroic, dramatic.... and brutal?

Before I make my conclusion, I am interested in your thoughts.

scott

Mac Plumart

Re: What is the Best 9 holes of Links Golf in UK and beyond...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
Back nine at North Berwick gets my vote for most fun.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:38:13 AM »
Scott

The front nine at Royal Aberdeen gets a lot of plaudits but I haven't played it (yet !)

Either nine at Carnoustie is a test although to be honest by the time I get to the back nine I've usually been beaten up so much by the front nine that I can't honestly say I've given it my best shot.

I'd personally like to nominate the back nine at Old Moray although I'm fairly sure no one is going to call it balanced by looking purely at the score card. Only one par 3 and one par 5 but some wonderfully varying par 4's.

Niall

Cristian

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:40:19 AM »
It is hard to disagree with the f9 at RCD... also one has to agree with the assessment of Royal Aberdeen f9

Not mentioned yet:

f9 Machrihanish
f9 Cruden Bay
f9 RSG

(Coincidental or are f9's generally better than back nine's on links courses?)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:41:51 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:43:18 AM »
och what am I thinking of, too much red wine. Front nine at Silloth beats all  ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
Back nine TOC
Front nine Machrihanish
Back nine North Berwick
Front Nine St Enodoc

Let me think some more.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 10:14:37 AM »
Back nine TOC
Front nine Machrihanish
Back nine North Berwick
Front Nine St Enodoc

Let me think some more.

Ciao

ditto,
plus front nine Royal Aberdeen
front nine Royal County Down
front nine of Portstewart

personal favorites
back nine of Pennard
back nine of Brora
back nine of Portsalon
of course I like the front nine of all three also

links courses are tough because 1 and 18 usually occupy the least interesting ground, and the best holes are often in the middle
holes 5-14 at Narin and Portnoo come to mind, but having to pick one I'd go back nine which leaves out at least three all world holes (7,8,9)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:20:38 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
 ??? :D ;)

The front at Royal County Down.    Any questions ?

Tom Dunne

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
In the hidden gem division, the back nine at Porthmadog in Wales is wicked golf...and WILD as can be.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »
Two obvious ones mentioned so far (for me) are the front nine at RCD and the back nine at The Old Course...

Portstewart and Royal Aberdeen fronts aren't quite up to these I don't think...

Lahinch front nine with Ballybunion back nine would make up the best 18 in Ireland or perhaps anywhere in my book...

Others for consideration could be back nine at Carne and maybe Enniscrone...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
Scott,

Before I got to your list the back 9 at Muirfield has come to mind and it probably wins.  Niall's shout for the front 9 at Silloth is pretty good, though.  Back 9 at TOC is also good but starts and finishes with weaker holes.  Given the crowd who post here, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the back 9 at Deal yet!

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »
In Ireland, I'd think about:

The Back Nine at Ballybunion
The Front Nine at Lahinch
The Back Nine at Tralee

In Scotland:

Front nine at Dornoch
Back nine at St. Andrews
Back nine at N. Berwick

In England:

Front nine at St. Goerges
Back nine at Deal
Front nine at Rye

In S. Africa:

The back nine at Humewood

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »
Having unwrapped "True Links"among my presents this morning and spent much of the late morning and early afternoon enjoying it, I have been reminiscing on the 20-odd links I have played.

The star nine-hole stretches of those 20 courses for me, are (only ordered as they appear in my head):

Back nine at St Andrews (Old)
Back nine at North Berwick West Links
Back nine at Brora
Back nine at Royal Cinque Ports (though two of my three favourite holes are on the front!)
Front nine at Silloth-on-Solway
Front nine at Rye
2-10 at Royal St George's
Back nine at Le Touquet (La Mer) (Peper and Co cam jam their definition ;D, the back nine is as links as links gets!)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:25 AM »
Interesting the back nine at Deal rings the bell when for me the front nine is more sporty and 3 of the 4 best holes in 3, 4 & 6 appear early doors.

Rye has some of the best holes in links land but sadly each nine starts with weaker holes.

The front nine at RStG is a roller coaster of excitement.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 03:58:31 AM »
Lads,

The conclusion is, of course, that both nines at Deal are world class.

2-7 is a spectacular run of holes and so is 12-17. Hard to split those two six-hole stretches. So the question is 1, 8, 9 vs 10, 11, 18. For me, Those three on the back nine lift it a tad above the front.

Suffice to say much of my time reading "True Links" was spent looking at the pages on RCP and trying to formulate a plan to return ASAP.

Michael Latham

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 05:08:59 AM »
holes 6 through 14, Ballybunion Old Course

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 05:22:43 AM »
Scott you need to hook up with Goldstein and formulate a joint plan, you'd be able to organise the first RCP Jagerbomb Open!!
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 05:45:21 AM »
Both 9's at Barnbougle are pretty good and if pushed I'd probably go the B9 even though I'm not a fan of 16.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 07:34:01 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for chiming in with some southern hemisphere courses. Have you played Barwon Heads recently? I've ben there but 15 hears ago and can't remember it very well.

As for NZ, the B9 at Oreti Sand (Southland GC) is very good. We did some work on the front nine, but little on the B9 it so strong. Through, the B9 at Paraparaumu Beach is better. The front 9 at RCD is better again though.... so it's a case of finding the 'best' nine holes.

I hope to visit Barnbougle in February.

F9 at Dornoch is good, but the plataeu hole lets the nine down. So it can't compete with RCD (F9), Carnoustie (B9) or  Muirfield(B9) for my money.

Any other submissions?

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
Scott

I have read the many of the candidates and I don't think they are quite up to scratch with the four I listed earlier with the possible exception of Co Down - though I am not a lover of this course as many are on this site.  

One possible inclusion may be the front nine at Brancaster.   There are some truly iconic holes here, much in the same manner of North Berwick's back nine.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:25:42 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
Front at RCD and back at TOC are both amazing, but the 12 hole stretch from 3-14 at Lahinch is awesome as well.  I think that 3,4,5,6,9, 11 (original) and 13 are all world class (and that the others are excellent).

Tony Dear

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 02:32:50 AM »
I caddied at Hillside (next door to Royal Birkdale) many moons ago and thought the back nine was unbelievable.
Tony

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
The front nines at RCD, Machrihanish & Barnbougle. 

My two cents are that this notion of balance is absolutely overrated and an entirely unnecessary parameter for both design and analysis. 

Case in point? Elie.  Or more traditionally, TOC (etc etc).
@Pure_Golf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
Tony - I couldn't help but find the back 9 at Hillside the most overhyped 9 I've played. To me it's motorways through dunes with no attempt to work with the land just move it. 10 is a good par 3 but that's about it.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
Hi Michael,

Balance is important to a golf course playing experience. And I don't mean just in the formulaic sense- ie. that of the card having even numbers of par 3's and par 5's– though this is a component. As an example, imagine a golf course on which every hole is a dog-leg par 5 uphill with lakes on the right and trees on the left. I am sure it could be built, but it wouldn't be popular.

One of the great strengths of Muirfield is the balance of the routing.

TOC is also reasonably balanced. i.e. one par 3 and one par 5 on each nine. And over the course of 18 holes you play most directions on the compass.

I hope you might agree that balance is important, but if not, maybe it could be a good topic for another thread? I'll let you be the contrarian.

Happy New Year,

Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back