News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

the toughest public opening hole in my area
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
The "Best opening hole in golf" thread has the usual attention including openers from many famous courses, probably more private than public.  I decided to start this thread with the hope it might catalyze others to do the same, namely, detail what you think is the toughest opening hole at a public course in your neck of the woods.

Time to give some background on my choice (and I'll leave the name of the course and architect out for now as I would like to feedback on this distinctive hole in an unusual setting).

Imagine locating a course on a long abandoned iron ore mine.  And part of the site is where all the tailings were scattered.  A 1992 Google Earth image shows a rather eerie plot of land resembling a moon crater before the course was built.  There is a large deep lake to the right, and a very large earth dam along the left, which falls down steeply to a valley (I'm guessing maybe a 100' drop or more):

A 1999 aerial shows this part of the course under construction:

In 2000 the course opened.  Here is a 2004 GE image of that same area, where the first eight holes of the course are located:

The very challenging opening hole, a par 4, starts in the lower left corner and runs along the edge of death.  Here is an expanded version of the hole:

It plays 435 yards from the tips.  I love how the back tee is offset; a desirable tee shot being a gentle draw off the right fw bunker, which is in play (~280 yards):

From the white tees (380 yards) the drive is much straighter:

A good drive leaves a second shot where you better be hitting 'em pure and straight!  The feature of this hole that you might not know is how windy it is near the green, almost w/o exception.  Even on this day when there was a light breeze, it was blowing probably 15 MPH+ at the green, as the flag shows below:

That pic above tends to not adequately show the very uphill nature of the shot.

Turn your drive over too much and you can end up in this weedy area, where you can see the steep drop-off left, and also notice the large false front on the green:

If you bail right on your second shot, you'll end up here:

So you get to play a 3rd, but here is what awaits you, knowing if you go over the green it is c'ya later golf ball and reload:

Although there are some grass bunkers between the green and ledge, probably to minimize losing any golfers!

This is the only pic I have of the green, where the front 1/3 really isn't pinnable:

While up there you get a wonderful view of the valley below:

This is really a difficult hole!  But I like it.  Do you?  Why or why not?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:52:43 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

cary lichtenstein

Re: the toughest public opening hole in my area
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
I only played it once, but the opening hole at Greywalls in the upper Peninsula was confusing as hell to me. Maybe it wasn't fully grown in, but I didn't even know where to hit my drive. I loved it however once it opened up for me.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Joe,
I do like the idea of a more stern start, but I'm imagining this hole with a green set on more of an angle to the fairway. The swale/hollow to the right of the green was familiar, although I don't know if it's a family trait or his alone.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
Joe,

Wow, it is rare when I actually know the course right away!!   ;D  I don't mind a course having a difficult start.  That being said, I wish there was more of a bailout area / wider landing area to the right in case one did not want to challenge the bunkers and did not mind being left with an uphill 3rd shot - especially if you did not get enought time to adequately warm up and were rushed out to this tee.  I thought the elevated green was terrific and did not mind the approach.
Chris

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »
 Didn't they flip the nines there? That second shot reminds of #2 at Ballybunion.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
Didn't they flip the nines there?

Yes, this used to be the 10th, but with the bigger clubhouse finished, they flipped the nines a few years back.

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
 Other than two awkward par fives I really like the course.
AKA Mayday

Rick Sides

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
Joe,
It looks like it could be out in Chester County.  Is it in the Tri- State area?

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
my cartmate and drive drove right along the left side   thought he was trying to kill me.  Nice pics Joe
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
Other than two awkward par fives I really like the course.

Very concise and accurate Mayday.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
Joe,
It looks like it could be out in Chester County.  Is it in the Tri- State area?

Sort of.  Lebanon County PA Rick.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Found it on Google Maps.  The course looks like a riot.  Toughest Philly public opener I've played is Inniscrone, but it doesn't look like it holds a candle to this one.  Which one of the Dyes built it?

Toughest in my area is the one at a course called The Brookwoods (formerly known as Ontario Golf Club).  580 yards, dogleg right around a cluster of bunkers off the tee, followed by a second shot that has to negotiate more bunkers and a creek that crosses diagonally in the middle of the landing area.  A tee shot that hugs the right fairway bunkers gives the best chance for a carry of the creek, but a layup second will leave 200+ approach to the green.  The green itself is two-tiered and brutal (like most of the greens at this course).  Tough, and kinda screwy.  It really sets the tone for the rest of the course.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »
Found it on Google Maps.  The course looks like a riot.  Toughest Philly public opener I've played is Inniscrone, but it doesn't look like it holds a candle to this one.  Which one of the Dyes built it?

P.B. Dye.

The opener at Inniscrone and Jeffersonville are both close seconds to this one, but the wind is the deciding factor for me.

Michael Blake

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
The opener at Inniscrone and Jeffersonville are both close seconds to this one, but the wind is the deciding factor for me.

I've only played I.V. once and it is a difficult opener.  Wind certainly a factor.  Need to play it more to form a better opinion though.

So...my vote goes to my home course, Jeffersonville and its opener.  My swing thoughts change with every round.  'Don't go left,' 'I hope I don't make a 7,' 'I can cut that left corner today,' 'I hope the green is receptive today,' 'I have no idea where this ball is going.'

Took a while to determine that for me, the best approach shot is a low runner.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back