News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: TV ideas for 2012
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »
Look at what happens when a golfing celebrity posts! We go nuts!

I don't think that's it at all!

I think it's because so many of us believe that the quality of golf coverage on TV has ... considerable room to grow....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 05:03:24 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
Oh...it's that Charlie Rymer ::)

David Kelly

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »

Shells Wonderful World of Golf with modern venues.

Anthony

BOOM!!!

I said that in the very first post!! Look at what happens when a golfing celebrity posts! We go nuts!

I don't think that's it at all!

I think it's because so many of us that the quality of golf coverage on TV has ... considerable room to grow....

Exactly and this is with any ideas about golf architecture shows being dismissed out of hand to begin with.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
Charlie,        

An idea came up on Geoff Shackleford’s site.  He did a short preview of the Victoria Golf Club prior to the JBWere OZ Masters highlighting the strategy of the course and notable holes.  Pretty much nailed it, as it turned out.  Someone suggested he do a half hour show before each tournament about the course, its history, design, strategy, and art.  Shack would be perfect as an accomplished writer, part time architect, and historian.  A combination of beauty shots and computer graphics to explain the design and strategic options.  The preview show could be edited into vignettes and used to enhance the broadcast.   He’d offer a different perspective from the pro player.  Probably, get the strategy right, as he did at the Vic, but the bonus for the viewer would be the history and art.

You could start with the historic venues like Augusta, US Open and Open courses that could be recycled in the future years.  If it proved popular, expand it to all interesting or significant courses.

Apologies if something like this has been mentioned.  I didn’t have time to read the posts beforehand.  

Shack would be affordable, but if he didn’t want to do it and GC could afford a star, Ben Crenshaw would be great too.
And if you need a producer, I’m available and will work for scale.

Charlie Rymer

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
A game show called...Who wants to be a member?  People compete for a free one year trial membership into a private club. The backstory of the existing members who vote by dropping black golf balls would be the real entertainment.

I already know lots of "members.".

Mike_Young

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
Has anyone ever had their first post go for three pages?  Dork heaven....

My first post went for three years. I think it lasted longer than I did.

As they said:  You're not the normal Dork either.... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Charlie Rymer

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »
Or another suggestion:
    I was going to suggest Charlie sort of copy Todd Blackledge's "Taste of the Town" segment of going to a local restaurant, or do a take off of Man v. Food, but since he's on a losing weight kick, that's out.
    Or, continue from the Man Show, the "Wheel of Destiny" with a foursome at a local course, sort of what I suggested earlier.  If you win, you get the use of one of those female caddies like they have in Vegas.  You lose, Charlie pees on your wallet.  Stuff like that.

Blackledge copied me. I did something similar on ESPN 10 years ago. He's  not fat enough to do a segment  like that.  It was in my wheelhouse.

Ben Sims

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
Charlie Rymer on GCA?  This has more potential than Jim Donnan's investment portfolio!!

My idea centers around your celebrity Mr.Rymer. Maybe a show about some great conversations or experiences with famous folks?  I heard you met Jim Thorpe once and he had nice things to say.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »
Come on Bob. The tie wasn't that bad. It's a Loudmouth Golf tie.  I'm friendly with those guys and they sent me some ties. It wasn't a clip-on or anything. You should try one, I read a recent study that said men who wear loud ties have more sex with females. or in my case, the same female.

Then you must know Anthony Gray, DMD, ADHD
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
Exactly, that is why a show where Judge Smails meets the Houswives of New Jersey would work. Even the call backs to see how the membership is working out would be hilarious. Hell, I'd even help write the thing for scale.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:29:47 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Charlie, there is currently a thread running about the Great golf courses of the British Isles and a TV series that has arisen from Darwin's book.

It made me think that a variation on Shell's Wonderful World of Golf needs to be started up again. I think it would be great to have a series that stuck to the really great courses, architecturally, maybe have a few Doak courses, a Coore and Crenshaw or two mixed in with some of the American classics (assuming you would be sticking to the States). Have a bit more detailed architectural commentary from the architects and insight from players and ex players such as yourself that have a genuine interest in architecture? I'm thinking the likes of Geoff Ogilvy, Phil Mickelson, Faldo etc. etc. Maybe also have interviews with influential developers like Mike Keiser. Not sure if it would have mass appeal without some big name players involved (so sponsorship would be needed) and if it focused more on the architectural side than the previous series...

BOOM!!!

:)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
A five minute piece with Geoff Ogilvy - or someone equally articulate when it comes to architecture -  each week he plays on one architectural feature he loves about the course and one he can't abide.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
Two words: Jans National.

BTW, Shivas -- which thick-skulled guys are you talking to?

"They'd rather hear that Hogan used to eat at Old Lady McCutty's (or whereever) when he was in X or Y or Z town in the 40's. And they'd much rather hear how they could find a decent hotel, a decent game, eat and have a fun night on a business trip in XYZ town for $___ in 2012, and play voyeur with Charlie for 5-6 minute segments at a time in doing so" is pretty much exactly what I, for one, suggested in my first post on this thread!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:13:09 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Buck Wolter

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »
How about a segment called 'Hurry the F&*k Up'

Call out a slower than slow PGA player and then give an example of what a club player should do to play 18 holes in less than 4 hours. I think most golfers really don't understand how slow they are --- we need to ratchet up the peer pressure and you're just the guy to do it.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JMEvensky

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »
Jesus Crimeny, how thick skulled are you guys?

The man has stated point blank that architecture doesn't sell.

We KNOW THIS!

That's why architecture books sell BUPKIS. That's why Sleeping Bear Press went BK. That's why that Ben Wright book sold something like 40 copies (I forget the actual number, but Dave Wigler might remember...)

The man wants MARKETABLE ideas, and all we feed him is "hey, guess who lengthened this hole?" and "Willie Park vs. Billy Bell....discuss!" and "who wants to guess what year Ross moved and that bunker, and double bonus-who shaped it?" and "betcha' didn't know that this fairway has more reverse-camber than #4 at Olympic".

GMAFB.

Nobody cares about this shit. They'd rather hear that Hogan used to eat at Old Lady McCutty's (or whereever) when he was in X or Y or Z town in the 40's. And they'd much rather hear how they could find a decent hotel, a decent game, eat and have a fun night on a business trip in XYZ town for $___ in 2012, and play voyeur with Charlie for 5-6 minute segments at a time in doing so.   

You're probably right,but the ones who don't give a shit about this stuff probably couldn't pick Hogan out of a lineup either.

JMEvensky

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
BTW, where the F is Tom Paul?  It pisses me off that he's not here anymore.

If we're going to sit here and brainstorm bout something actually GCA-related, why don't we put it to good use and figure out how to get him back on this site, instead of jerk-around lobbying for a pet cause that has ZERO chance of ever seeing airtime? 

Unfortunately,there's a better chance of the Golf Channel running a 10 part series on the life and times of Seth Raynor than TEP coming back.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »
Has anyone ever had their first post go for three pages?  Dork heaven....

Who is rthe new guy?

Anthony

Edward Buchanan

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
Club fitting show?  Take a handful of players from a wide range of handicaps and have them go through an extensive modern fitting session.  Have 9 holes before and after and see if they improve.  I imagine this would be a pretty easy sell for the big name clubmaking companies to sponsor.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
Charlie, there is currently a thread running about the Great golf courses of the British Isles and a TV series that has arisen from Darwin's book.

It made me think that a variation on Shell's Wonderful World of Golf needs to be started up again. I think it would be great to have a series that stuck to the really great courses, architecturally, maybe have a few Doak courses, a Coore and Crenshaw or two mixed in with some of the American classics (assuming you would be sticking to the States). Have a bit more detailed architectural commentary from the architects and insight from players and ex players such as yourself that have a genuine interest in architecture? I'm thinking the likes of Geoff Ogilvy, Phil Mickelson, Faldo etc. etc. Maybe also have interviews with influential developers like Mike Keiser. Not sure if it would have mass appeal without some big name players involved (so sponsorship would be needed) and if it focused more on the architectural side than the previous series...

+1  Great idea Brian

Anthony Gray

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

How about a documentary "Who designed Merion?"

Andy Stamm

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
Charlie,        

An idea came up on Geoff Shackleford’s site.  He did a short preview of the Victoria Golf Club prior to the JBWere OZ Masters highlighting the strategy of the course and notable holes.  Pretty much nailed it, as it turned out.  Someone suggested he do a half hour show before each tournament about the course, its history, design, strategy, and art.  Shack would be perfect as an accomplished writer, part time architect, and historian.  A combination of beauty shots and computer graphics to explain the design and strategic options.  The preview show could be edited into vignettes and used to enhance the broadcast.   He’d offer a different perspective from the pro player.  Probably, get the strategy right, as he did at the Vic, but the bonus for the viewer would be the history and art.

You could start with the historic venues like Augusta, US Open and Open courses that could be recycled in the future years.  If it proved popular, expand it to all interesting or significant courses.

Apologies if something like this has been mentioned.  I didn’t have time to read the posts beforehand.  

Shack would be affordable, but if he didn’t want to do it and GC could afford a star, Ben Crenshaw would be great too.
And if you need a producer, I’m available and will work for scale.

Great idea. Crenshaw's commentary about St Andrews during the Seve v Azinger shell match was very inspiring.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
Another great thread with great ideas at cga.com. Thanks.

Being very interested in Junior Golf, my idea would be to spotlight Junior Golf in some fashion. Perhaps a local pro that works with Juniors, or an outstanding local Junior that loves the game and has fun with it. Since the powers that be in golf all seem to agree that developing Juniors is important to the game,  could there be some sponsorship opportunies to make it commercially viable?

Might also bring in young people to watch?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »

How about a documentary "Who designed Merion?"

That's funny! Unfortunately Charlie won't get it. Even with his loudmouth tie.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
I've always felt that what needs to be recorded, and passed onto younger generations are the vignettes/snippets/recounts of some of the elderly, more mature characters, in golf. Each town, and likely each course, has them. Heck, they don't have to be elderly, just characters. Juxtapose them against the automaton of the tour pro, and you have balance.

They could be edited down to as long a vignette as you need, for pre and post game (rain delays) real history lessons. Back when we were kids, they were called "waste programs."
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back