News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: TV ideas for 2012
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »
Thinking of pre and postgame shows more

A feature on a great hole in the wall food spot at each tour stop.

An interview with a "get in the hole" person each week.  My goal with such an interview would be to demonstrate how intoxicated the person is and reduce the practice.  Given reality shows, however, I fear it would have the opposite effect.

A feature on how pro-ams work, who pays the large amounts to play in those things and why they do so.  A discussion of what pros like and do not like about pro-ams and highlight some pros that are very good at playing their role in them.

Do a post game show from the party spot at the Phoenix Open similar to those done in college football.

A feature on a volunteer, what they do and why they do it.

A discussion of what a sponsor's invite is asked to do at a tournament.  I know that at the senior spot in Minnesota, the tournament director asks the invite to do a ton of pro ams and I am not sure what else in exchange for the sponsor's invitation.

A discussion between Feinstein and Tiger Woods about Feinstein's new book.  :)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
"Will a show about gca attract enough viewers to interest advertisers?"  

Having had that conversation with Charlie and others over the years, the answer seems to be "no".

The key, it seems to me, is to not have the show be "about gca."

A successful show could have plenty of gca in it, if it made sure not to be "about gca."

IMO.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Garland Bayley

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
Anna Rawson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Catherine Bell play Riviera and Rustic Canyon. My understanding is that would give you a plus handicap, a low to mid handicap, and a high handicap. Discuss options, what the course gives them, what it demands of them.

With those three, it should also give you eyeballs. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Kelly

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »
This is an architecture site.  Charlie has established that no one will watch an architecture show except for this group.  so the logic of asking this group what will sell on TV escapes me.  Having established my scepticism, and tryin to maintain an architectural focus, I have always thought that the best way to engage the regular golfer in architecture is to do a feature on how architecture impacts  strategy.  How does a pro "read" a hole and plan his attack?  More importantly, how should players at various handicap levels alter their approaches based on the architecture.  

I used to have a VHS tape of a show hosted by Gary Player called something like, "The Toughest 18 Holes in American Golf" and on the show he went to each of these courses and played the hole along with the club pro and they discussed how the hole was supposed to be played.  I remember the 10 at August and 4th at Riveira along with a hole at Medinah.  I also used to have another VHS tape called "Jack Nicklaus Shows You the Greatest 18 holes in Major Championship Golf" with Jack and Jack Whitaker where Nicklaus went around and played each hole on his list.  The show also ran as a special on ABC if I recall.

So its been done before and at least at that time people thought that there was a market for it.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:53:45 PM by David Kelly »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »
I would love to see you interview a different caddy each week. We golf fans only know a couple of the caddies and I know some of them have some interesting backgrounds and stories to tell.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
More than 50 responses to this query by the esteemed former US Junior Champ, and not ONE mention of the ONLY guy in the game that moves the needle...do i really have to say his name?

Now that he's back in the winner's circle, the world's eyes will be upon him once again.  Let me suggest a few Eldrick-centric show ideas that will be sure to substantially increase the viewership of what remains a niche station:

The Prince of Thais. Pat Conroy and Kultida Woods are co-hosts in this travelogue, where viewers are taken on an extended tour of Thailand.  Highlights include never-seen footage of Tiger dining on pot stickers and green curry, visiting a Buddhist temple, and touring the red light district in Bangkok.  
   Better ‘n Eldrick.  Dr. Joyce Brothers hosts this panel discussion, featuring in-depth interviews with those who have changed their names and gone on to stardom.  Scheduled guests include Tony Curtis, Marilyn Manson, Prince and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
   Tiger Beat.  A variety program geared towards teenage and pre-teen girls, all professing their love and adoration of the striped one.  Wacky contest winners are rewarded with autographed photos, golf balls, and other paraphernalia.
   Tele-tubbies.  Craig Stadler, Tim Herron and John Daly discuss the PGA Tour, and what it will take to challenge Tiger’s supremacy in the coming years.
   Stanford and Sons.  Co-hosts Tom Watson and John Elway profile both the famous and infamous products of the storied University in Palo Alto, where they prove continuously that graduation is no prerequisite for success.  
   Tiger Kwon Do.  Tips and techniques on the ancient martial art that helps give the Big Cat his edge, along with the fanatical conditioning, practice habits, focus, weight training, diet and mental strength that are his other hallmarks.
   Who Wants to be a Millionaire?  Join former Tiger caddie Steve Williams as he shares the secrets that keep him in the top 50 on the PGA money list without ever having to swing a club.
   Father Knows Best.  The late Earl Woods discourses on the tough love tactics that helped mold his son into a champion.  Early scheduled lectures include: “Why Tiger will be bigger than Gandhi,” and “Scotland is no place for a black man.”  Richard Williams acts as moderator.
   Tiger’s Tips.   Join the phenom himself for this lively and informative instruction hour.  Learn how to hit a sawed-off 230 yard 2 iron, nuke a 315-yard driver, and make any length putt through sheer force of will.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
Hi Charlie and welcome to GCA... Since you're on a golf architecture site, I will restrict my thoughts to that subject and leave the budding William Paleys and Sumner Redstones to come up with new programming concepts for Golf Channel...

The one thing that makes golf different than every other professional sport is the week-to-week challenge is not your opponent, but the playing field itself. If you watch the NFL or MLB, the color analyst relentlessly comments on how each team responds to what the other team is putting out there on the field. So what about a little more on how the players respond to course design and course conditions... from the tee, the fairway and around the green. Who does it favor? Who is handicapped? Who has the advantage when the rough is up? Whose short game handles short grass better?

We get passing comments from Miller, Faldo et al during the broadcast, but in the longer form of Golf Channel coverage it's not as present as it should be... Maybe it's reviving the old Ken Venturi bits in different format or perhaps it's giving someone like Michael Bread a little more rope.

How about some additional star power by filming spots with Butch Harmon, Sean Foley or any of the other teaching pros who are onsite at the tournament? That way you can tie the architectural features back into how it affects tournament play and perhaps the outcome of each event.
Next!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »

Shells Wonderful World of Golf with modern venues.

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
I really think we need to get those leotards we discussed and the two fo us do a Richard Simmons type of workout show for the average golfer.

I like the idea the guy had of interviewing a caddy each week

But you got to go in these clubs and start showing people these locker rooms, and the buffet the pros have  and then at each stop you need ot have the grill manager or chef make you their special and highlight that kind of stuff....hot dogs, hamburgers, milkshakes....

And I told you this would bring out the dorks.....see what you've done....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
I really think we need to get those leotards we discussed and the two fo us do a Richard Simmons type of workout show for the average golfer.

I like the idea the guy had of interviewing a caddy each week

But you got to go in these clubs and start showing people these locker rooms, and the buffet the pros have  and then at each stop you need ot have the grill manager or chef make you their special and highlight that kind of stuff....hot dogs, hamburgers, milkshakes....

And I told you this would bring out the dorks.....see what you've done....

THe world does need to see how much the PGA guys suffer. I agree.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

A Mike Young hunting and fishing show with celebrity guests.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

Kinda a take off on the national spellig bee but use posters from golf club atlas. I also like that show where that Vanna lady spins those letters around but use golf terms.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
"Groupies of the pro golf tour"  (for the Playboy Channel)

More seriously, Titanic Thompson led a colorful life.  Could make an interesting TV blurb.  

Also, I've read about some famous non-tournament matches that took place in the past.  The Hogan/Nelson/Venturi/Ward match at CPC is one example.  Lee Trevino played Raymond Floyd in Texas, back in the 1960s before Lee hit the national scene.  Could make for some exciting TV.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
Joann Dost would be perfect for the new show Photo Shots.  I had no ideas she was such a good golfer.

BigEdSC

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
Or another suggestion:
    I was going to suggest Charlie sort of copy Todd Blackledge's "Taste of the Town" segment of going to a local restaurant, or do a take off of Man v. Food, but since he's on a losing weight kick, that's out.
    Or, continue from the Man Show, the "Wheel of Destiny" with a foursome at a local course, sort of what I suggested earlier.  If you win, you get the use of one of those female caddies like they have in Vegas.  You lose, Charlie pees on your wallet.  Stuff like that.

Richard Choi

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
"Taste of the Town" is a great idea. Take that week's Tour stop and show case the places to go/eat/play around the tour venue. I would think that would be an easy sell to local sponsors.

I would also add something like what made Rachel Ray so popular "$25/day" type of a show where you have $100/day and see what are the best deals (golf and meals, and perhaps lodging) you can get around the town.

John_Conley

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »
Another thought for a weekly segment: Take an unknown guy that was in contention a few years back and bring him back to discuss his day in the sun. For example, after reading Carl Paulson's book (Rookie on Tour), I followed him closely the year he was in contention at the TPC. I've always wondered what he's up to now.

Great idea!

Parker McLachlin, Adrian Stills, and many more.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »

Shells Wonderful World of Golf with modern venues.

Anthony

BOOM!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »
A game show called...Who wants to be a member?  People compete for a free one year trial membership into a private club. The backstory of the existing members who vote by dropping black golf balls would be the real entertainment.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
Charlie,

First off, a hole-by-hole tour of Brookfield Country Club in Clarence...don't know why, but it seems you might have some sort of history there~

Next, a little more realistic, what exactly are you looking for (OK, a lot more realistic) that isn't 100% grounded in the almighty dollar? Doesn't that restrict us to equipment, travel, apparel and other stuff that sells?

Subsequently, a lot of life is filled with the almighty FAIL, yet it seems that television seeks to avoid that element, for obvious reasons~no company wants its product to fail, be it a club, course, shirt, hot dog, whatever. So, we have this disconnect between reality (lots of fail) and television sales (only successes, please.)

Furthermore, I do have a few ideas that might sell. Here is the best one:

HOW TO HOOK A FRIEND ON GOLF~You need a playing partner or two from outside your family/current foursome. You have this great friend who doesn't play, but does demonstrate an interest in playing. The introduction to the game is there, but  how do you keep the person coming back?

Age doesn't matter; in fact you can tailor different programs/3-part series to young/middle/old age, as well as male and female. The product placement opportunities are there.

I'll be back with more, later. In the meantime, good to have you on board.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
Has anyone ever had their first post go for three pages?  Dork heaven....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
"anyone" is relative, Mike. This ain't your average dork, so the measuring stick must be different.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Young

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
"anyone" is relative, Mike. This ain't your average dork, so the measuring stick must be different.
Trust me...it's a dork alright...might not be average but he's a huge dork....I trained him.. ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »
So he comes when you call him...It's like when I ask my Spanish students, "do you consider yourselves fluent?" and they answer "are you yoking?"

Imagine how fluent they would be if Shakira/Enrique Iglesias walked into the room...that's kind of the response that a Charlie post gets from this bunch of horny teenagers.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »
Has anyone ever had their first post go for three pages?  Dork heaven....

My first post went for three years. I think it lasted longer than I did.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back