News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

Re: Par 3 finishing holes
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »

For Brad's list, I would add the 18th at Mesa Verde, Costa Mesa, Ca., design by William Bell. Good course which of late has been in great condition.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
18 at The Lakes in Sydney - where they have played the Australian Open the past 2 years. It is a pity they play the tee up about 10 yards because of signs and galleries but it is a demanding 3,4 or 5 iron shot at the end.
In contrast the finishing hole at Victoria for this weeks Australian Masters is a 510 yard par five but so many can carry the hill and get the extra run that makes the second shot a short iron.
One thing about a 3 is that it guarantees everybody has to hit a quite long shot at the end of the round.

Lester George

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
The 18th at the Old White is one of my all-time favorite par 3 finishers.  The 18th at Cavalier Golf and Yacht is also very strong.  Charles Banks finished there with a Redan of 205 yards across water.  Legend has it that Snead lost the Virginia Beach Open there on the 18th.  I haven't confrimed that story yet.  Anybody know?

Lester

Anders Rytter

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:49 AM »
Lough Erne, rather new Faldo course in Northern Ireland finishes with a long par 3.

Not the best picture, but anyway.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2011, 07:10:44 AM »
The Valley course at Portrush ends on a par three. I seem to recall the Cavalier in Virginia Beach ends on a par three (It's been a long time and I mightt be mistaken),

Travis Dewire

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2011, 07:13:11 AM »
Brad,

Is the Myopia par 3 finish listing for a past routing? Or is a par 3 really their 18th ?

Thanks

Travis

Brad Klein

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
Anthony Gray,

The reason few modern courses end that way is the same reason unimaginative owners think they need par-72, 36/36 with balanced distributions of par-3s/4s/5s on each side. Modern owners are nervous about deviating from some formulaic norm, even though it is ONLY variance that makes course routings memorable.

Tim Martin, I drive by the par-3 18th at CC of Farmington almost weekly and always rue it. It's in a hollow, as I recall basically blind from the tee, and feels like an excuse to go from the 17th green to the bar. I am pretty sure that the 18th, like some of the opening holes at CCFarmington, were not part of Emmett's original routing but evolved later during a land acquisition deal that sifted marginal parts of the golf course and led to a rerouting of some of the holes east of Rte. 10 there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back