News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Trenham

Re: combining two private courses: keep one private, make other public
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 10:58:20 PM »
Story goes at my club that in 1943 it was about to go under as was Tredyffrin Country Club down the road.  The clubs did not work together instead St Davids lured over a bunch of their members with a sweetheart deal for a big group to move together, obviously this was critical because before that the membership had fallen to 120 at SDGC.

Clubs have too few tee times a few hours of the week and too many most of the rest of the week.  Having a bigger membership and one mostly public facility would let you accomadate the members on Saturday and Sunday AM or when a member guest is going on.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 08:03:39 AM »
When Billy Casper Golf acquired Royce Brook we examined the existing Private/Public model in place. Royce Brook is unique in that it's membership is comprised of a group of dedicated golfers who enjoy the opportunity to bond with fellow members of similar ilk. Many had become frustrated by having to subsidize swimming pools, tennis courts and over sized clubhouses at other private clubs. Royce Brook has been a very successful operation partially due to the fact that it is managed by a professional managment company as opposed to a Board of Directors.

BTW: BOth Plainfield and Oakmont own 9-hole daily fee courses in additional to their nationaly recognized championship courses.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »
Pasatiempo has 2 hours for member tee times then 2 hours for visitors throughout each day.
I'm told that once the members pay their registration fee there are no dues due to this plan.
Perhaps someone more familiar with the club can fill in more details.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 09:23:08 AM »
The 2002 merger of Losantiville and Crest Hills in Cincinnati turned out to be a disaster. The two clubs were merged into the newly formed Ridge Club but problems developed and now the Ridge Club concept NLE and   Losantiville is back in business alone and Crest Hills NLE. Needless to say, litigation erupted.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Nugent

Re: combining two private courses: keep one private, make other public New
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 01:03:13 PM »
http://lincolnshirecountryclub.com/about_us.php The story of the developement of Lincolnshire Country Club and their Lincoln Oaks Public golf course is a good (MUST) read with many parallels to today.  BTW it's a Tom Bendalow/ National Parks Builders pair of 18-hole courses courses just south of Chicago.

A quick observation as to the "just sell one" misses a couple points.  Once you sell one, unless you contract with the new owners, it loses the economy of scale of operations expenses.  2 clubhouses and staff, 2 golf pros, 2 maintenance operations (super, asst., crews, equipt. buildings) and what about the common elements like the practice green and range.

I think an operation like that discribed as on higher standard private course and a lower standard public course is best as the income from the public offsets the expense of the private.  Isn't this what many Private Clubs do everyweek when they sell the course on Monday for outside events and outtings?

Speaking of which, how much of the financial woes of courses can be traced to the downturn in this cash stream?  Did too many courses/clubs get hooked on the Free Money of the  "Outting Business"?  I know many courses that embarked on expensive clubhouse overhauls just to attract this business and paid for it with long term mortgages.  Now the business to not only to subsidize the operational expenses and to pay off the notes gone but so too is the money .  And the members are getting hit to make-up the double-barrel shortfall.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:01:16 PM by Tim Nugent »
Coasting is a downhill process

Terry Lavin

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »
Tim,

I'm glad you posted about Lincolnshire, because that is the example that came to me when perusing this thread.  I haven't played Lincolnshire in ten years or so, but I always enjoyed the course because it struck me as an old-timey kind of Bendelow course that was not altered all that much over the years.  Fun course in the middle of the "country", about 40 miles straight south of downtown.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
I believe 13th Beach outside of Melbourne operates along these lines. One course being open to the public, the other private, alternating every day.

TK

Tyler,

You're spot on. As a general rule of thumb, members at 13th Beach have one of the two courses each day, with both the Beach and Creek Course alternating day-to-day. With a little over 1,000 members, many of which play regularly, the benefits are clearly evident.

We are the only club between Melbourne and Adelaide that has two courses (that I know of), and outstanding ones at that. This by far the greatest asset we have - the ability to hold charity and corporate days, while not impacting member play is invaluable.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
I think some of the multi course developments have that set up. some like PGA National rotate the Members course during the week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back