News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Snowboarding Golf
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
I'm sitting at The Beach at Telluride observing why golf is dead. I've made few poor choices in life but never taking my children on a ski trip was one. I've never seen so many happy faces out sporting or been where the douche factor nears zero. The only thing even close in golf is Dismal River pre Doak. Where else can you snowboard golf and why is it so rare?

Kalen Braley

Re: Snowboarding Golf
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
I'm thinking this guy sure looks like a douche!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C99Uigo9UTw

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
One interesting factor of this particular day is watching the constuction of a competitive snowboarding field just above where I am sitting. Absolute non-minimalistic adrenaline rush. I wish Jay Flemma was here so he could put it in words.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
Now I've ever been to the first tee at Pebble but I see little harm in underqualified overdressed people having a great time.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
I'm sitting at The Beach at Telluride observing why golf is dead. I've made few poor choices in life but never taking my children on a ski trip was one. I've never seen so many happy faces out sporting or been where the douche factor nears zero. The only thing even close in golf is Dismal River pre Doak. Where else can you snowboard golf and why is it so rare?

Ireland and the UK, particularly in the rural areas.

skiiers tend to be a quite undouchey crowd.(snowboarders not as much but still good)
telluride may change a bit though in a couple weeks when the New Yorkers hit ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
Outside of Vail and Aspen/Snowmass, you picked one of the resorts with the most luddites and tools in Colorado.  Odd.  

When I want to do something cool and go somewhere fun and it's not golf, I go skiing or mountain biking.  Everyone's obsessed with their gear, will travel to epic grounds for the sport, and doesn't mind a beer afterwards.  But I've never heard anyone talk about how they need to guard their money closely for a few more years on the mountain.  

That said, I can't think of anywhere I've played this year that feels the same as being on a ski lift with a bum.  That same feeling doesn't exist in golf.  Nor should it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:49:56 PM by Ben Sims »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Now I've ever been to the first tee at Pebble but I see little harm in underqualified overdressed people having a great time.

That's the spirit!  There's a replica course near Toronto called Wooden Sticks that takes the CCFAD model to the limit: you get a pin/tag and its your 'membership card' for the day, and with it you get the range and golf and breakfast before and lunch afterwards (or lunch and dinner) and the starter takes a picture of your foursome, and someone brings your bag to the cart and drives it up to you, and all you do is show up and show your pin and everyone is very nice to you all day long, and it's like I'm at Augusta....and Pine Valley...and Oakmont...and The Old Course. Ah, talk about under-qualified overdressed people having a good time!!  For one day I felt like Pat Mucci does maybe everyday -- and it was very nice.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:07:48 PM by PPallotta »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »

Skiing has its own politics. Go take your snowboarding kids to Mad River, Alta, or Taos and see what happens!

What a shocker, I love Alta!!

Mike McGuire

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
Golf is dead - it just doesn't know it.

Like the latest teenager ghost on American Horror Story.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
The best trips are when you both play golf and ski.  I have skied at Taos and played golf in Albuquerque and in April at A'basin and Denver.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Two different cultures and both are lovely.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Travis Dewire

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
John,

You are in Telluride?

Jealous ! ! ! !

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
John,

You are in Telluride?

Jealous ! ! ! !

Yea, pretty much another boasting thread. My wife nor I ski, we like coming here for the weather, scenery and people. I wish I could go to a golf resort as a non golfer and see golfers through innocent eyes. Perhaps I would see things differently.

I do have to say that I have not heard one skier bitch that the lifts built only for the experts are a waste of money, though I have heard experts bitch about novices being on the wrong slopes.  

Based on my experiences at Bandon in the winter there is strong evidence that traditionally poor weather brings out the best in people.   At least with golf that is discount season.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:21:19 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »
John, the least you could do is thank us taxpayers for footing the bill, with special kudos to those of us stupid enough to vote for President Obama (though he looks better every day compared to Newt & The Seven Drawfs!)

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

Skiing has its own politics. Go take your snowboarding kids to Mad River, Alta, or Taos and see what happens!

What a shocker, I love Alta!!

Mike,
taos is in their third year of snowboards.
Alta and mad river Glen are great throwbacks and the vibe is good,
deer valley also skiiers only but why i don't know why  ::) I guess the valet guys prefer to carry skis to boards
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »
What about Heavenly in Lake Tahoe?  my best friend got married there several years ago.  We boarded/ski'd in the day and COULD have played golf that afternoon as it was April timeframe and the fairways down below were a beautiful shade of green.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ross Harmon

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
Skiing and Golf - best two sports out there! We need more snow in Colorado though! Too much to golf right now, too little to (really) ski!

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
What do those Supers in the mountain resorts do in the winter?  Do they keep on a bare bones staff and catch up on some stuff they can't get to during the golf season?  Do most resorts hold onto their Supers through the winter? 

I'm talking mostly about places in the high altitude, mountain environment and not places like Sand Hills or Wildhorse. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »
Skiing and Golf - best two sports out there! We need more snow in Colorado though! Too much to golf right now, too little to (really) ski!

Try none :( :( in the northeast
despite the Halloween blizzard

paul cowley

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

That's the spirit!  There's a replica course near Toronto called Wooden Sticks that takes the CCFAD model to the limit: you get a pin/tag and its your 'membership card' for the day, and with it you get the range and golf and breakfast before and lunch afterwards (or lunch and dinner) and the starter takes a picture of your foursome, and someone brings your bag to the cart and drives it up to you, and all you do is show up and show your pin and everyone is very nice to you all day long, and it's like I'm at Augusta....and Pine Valley...and Oakmont...and The Old Course. Ah, talk about under-qualified overdressed people having a good time!!  For one day I felt like Pat Mucci does maybe everyday -- and it was very nice.

Oh Peter...effing classic! so true and real and fun and kick in the gut...was the golf good?  love P

Peter
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
 :)

Paul - in truth, the golf that day was really a lot of fun for me.  But also in truth, it was fun precisely because of the 'architecture'.  I put that in quotes because I mean it in the simplest way, i.e. not the nuance/detail of whether or not or to what degree the replica holes matched the originals, or how well those holes suited the land, or whether the strategic elements/choices were ever-present in the most interesting ways; but simply in terms of what the architect provided the golfer with: the shots he asked for/suggested, the trouble he put in the way, the variety of hole lengths etc.  And, for me, because I am not a well travelled golfer, I had never seen (and have yet to see) a fairway as wide as the double fairway ala the 18th at The Old Course (nor have I ever hit and then putted on a green that big); and I have never had more trouble getting out of a fairway bunker than I did from the Church Pews ala Oakmont; and I've never played a shorter Par 3 to a smaller green than the Postage Stamp; or seen as scrubby/wild/sandy areas as on the "Pine Valley' holes; and as reachable Par 5s go, the 13th at Augusta is a darn good one, and this was as close as I'm ever going to get to that.  It was fun to play those golf holes.  And the course, if I remember, was in good condition and it was dry (it drains well, I assume), and somehow the architect -- Ron Garl -- made everything seem to fit together very nicely; if he had to move a lot of earth, I couldn't see it. (Walking it would've been tough, if a cart wasn't included in my 'membership -- the walks between holes were long).  The price is prohibitively high for me, and I only played it once. But I would play it again, because it was fun in all the kinds of architecture it presented....and for a day I could pretend to stroll down a fairway in Georgia.  Luckily for me, I have no real image/sense of what that would actually be like to compare it with, as so I had no complaints.  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, I guess.

Best
Peter  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:16:17 PM by PPallotta »

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
As far as golf is dead and skiing being fun...the golf industry could learn a few tricks from ski resorts...which as a rule accept everybody from the wealthy to the bums and also looks for ways to attract families and teach newcomers.  

But alternatively golf is golf and not skiing....golf's pleasures are just more subtle...so comparing the thrills of skiing with golf is not really fair.  If I ask my 11 year old who is reasonably competent at both would he rather ski or golf...he wouldnt hesitate.  But someday maybe golf will win out.

Also I'm pretty certain there is a whole crowd of skiers and snowboarders who scoff at "lift" skiing.  I'm sure Melvin hangs with this crowd and not the Tellurites.

Some photo's I found from backcountry skiing in Yankee Boy Basin which is 2-3 miles north of Telluride but over a massive ridge so effectively another world.   I hiked through there and summited Mt Sneffels in late-July 1995 and saw plenty of backcountry skiers even that late in the summer.  These are the March Bandonistas of the ski world.

http://www.summitpost.org/yankee-boy-basin-skiing/721679

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:33:21 AM by Mike Hamilton »

Joe Grasty

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 11:42:26 PM »
Skiing has never interested me.  I'm too fragile and too much of a klutz. ;D

Dave McCollum

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »
What do those Supers in the mountain resorts do in the winter?  Do they keep on a bare bones staff and catch up on some stuff they can't get to during the golf season?  Do most resorts hold onto their Supers through the winter? 

I'm talking mostly about places in the high altitude, mountain environment and not places like Sand Hills or Wildhorse. 

They shovel snow off the greens, if needed, groom the Nordic trails running through the course, work at the resort, and go to association meetings in warm places.  In Sun Valley quite a few of the guys and gals on the golf maintenance crew are on the ski patrol.  A high percentage of folks do both sports.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
I know it's not nearly the quality of Western skiing/snowboarding, but one interesting aspect of Wintergreen Resort in middle-western Virginia is that you can ski and play golf in the same day during the winter.  The bulk of the resort is on top of the mountain and the 27-hole Stoney Creek course is down at the base.  Kinda cool if you're into the whole snowsports thing.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ross Harmon

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »

Try none :( :( in the northeast
despite the Halloween blizzard

I was unlucky enough to be in NYC that weekend... yuck! Slush blizzard isn't good for anything!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back