News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

DVR Alert - Movie: "Love in the Rough" (1930) @ Lake Norconian
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:54 AM »
On Friday December 16 @ 11:30 AM (ET) Turner Classic Movies will be showing "Love in the Rough" (1930) starring Robert Montgomery.  For those that don't know it, the picture was made in 1930 at the Lake Norconian Hotel and Golf Club.  The golf course opened in December 1928 and was designed by John Duncan Dunn.  The resort lasted until December 8, 1941 when it was sold to the Navy and became a Naval Hospital.  The hotel and golf club never reopened.  The movie is a little creaky since it was made only a few years after the movies started to talk but there is a lot of golfing action on the course and you get a good look at the one-of-a-kind hotel. The course looked very new and was virtually treeless.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

mike_malone

Re: DVR Alert - Movie: "Love in the Rough" (1930) @ Lake Norconian
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
 I brought this to gca's attention awhile back when this aired before. It was the best I have seen a course look in a movie.
AKA Mayday

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »
I brought this to gca's attention awhile back when this aired before. It was the best I have seen a course look in a movie.

The golf scenes from "Going My Way," that were shot at Lakeside CC looked good as did the scenes shot at Riviera for "Pat & Mike."
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »
David, fyi - I haven't seen it in many years, but I think the golf scenes for the Martin-Lewis picture "The Caddy" were also shot at Riviera, in the spring of 1953 I think.  (A middling effort, even for fans -- like me -- of the Martin-Lewis pictures.  Not so much golf, if I remember, but fun watching Dean play the game and Jerry, in his role as a fine golfing son of a great golfer who is too nervous of crowds to be able play professonally).  I mention it only because it so rarely gets mentioned on these types of threads.   

Peter

David Harshbarger

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
Does this pre-code movie have pre-code qualities?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »
Does this pre-code movie have pre-code qualities?

No.

After the success of  "The Jazz Singer" and The Singing Fool" the movie studios deluged the audience with musicals, so much so that by 1931 movie theaters were advertising that their films had "no singing, no dancing".  Hollywood released over 100 musicals in 1930 but only about 10-15 in 1931.  It wasn't until "42nd Street" in 1933 that musicals became popular again.

Montgomery is always good but "Love in the Rough" was one of those films that killed musicals in 1930.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back