News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

The Scottish List
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
On another thread there was a discussion on Friars Head which caused me to go into the "Courses by Country" section of this website, somewhere I don't normally go. Having had a look at Friars Head my eyes wondered to the list of Scottish courses. What struck me with the Scottish list was the obvious omissions such as Murifield, Carnoustie, Turnberry and Royal Troon. Indeed there generally seems to be a bit of a anti-west coast bias. The second thing that struck me was some of the "lesser" courses that were listed and again the ones that weren't. Royal Dornoch was missing even though Brora is in there, the anti-west coast bias might explain why no Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Prestwick St Nich's, as well as the omission of Open rota courses mentioned previously, but no Prestwick ? That just seems perverse.

Now appreciate that Ran has better things to do with himself than just travelling the world playing golf  ;D and that Scotland is lucky to have so many entries compared to N. Irelands meagre two, but surely there are a number of new designs of merit/reknown that deserve a feature and perhaps other "hidden gems" that should get an airing also.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Niall   

Bill McKinley

Re: The Scottish List
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
I used to go on the Courses by Country section a lot more due to the fact that I wasn't a member of the discussion group, and I would often wonder that same thing.  Where are all the Scotland courses??  I went on a trip to Scotland last year and I really wanted to see Ran's writeups on these places that I would be playing because they are done so well.

Not throwing stones at Ran because the US section is so diverse and I live in the US, but I think we would all want to see those write ups because we enjoy them so much.  So Ran, get on a plane to Scotland and go play a ton of golf and come back and tell us what you thought!  ;D
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
What struck me with the Scottish list was the obvious omissions such as Murifield, Carnoustie, Turnberry and Royal Troon. Indeed there generally seems to be a bit of a anti-west coast bias.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Niall   

I hadn't heard that they moved Muirfield and Carnoustie to the west coast. Did Trump do that? ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
If this site cost me $100pa then I'd expect Ran to travel the world at "my" expense. But I/we are not charged and Ran reviews the courses he wishes to and in areas he wants to visit. Bias is a little strong.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
It could be that Ran hasn't played a particular course, or perhaps didn't find particular courses all that stimulating or even something as basic as encountering a rainy day making photography conditions less than ideal.  Who knows why there aren't profiles on all the top courses Ran has seen?  Perhaps this would be an interesting topic if there are some which Ran didn't believe warranted a profile.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Gents

The thread was mean't to be a bit tongue and cheek that would stimualte a bit of chat. I was aware that the list wasn't meant to be comprehensive but did find it interesting what was on and what wasn't. No real criticism intended, just a mild bit of joshing.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back