News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

I recently took the short trip across the Tasman Sea to New Zealand and more importantly, Paraparaumu Beach – an Alex Russell design that has hosted 12 NZ Opens. Having played it four days straight, Paraparam’ (as the locals call it) is one of the most enjoyable golf courses one could hope for. It’s crumpled fairways, catapulting the golf ball in all sorts of directions, made for fun golf, and a form of the game that Australia is starved of, perhaps with the exception of but to a lesser extent at Barwon Heads and the recent openings of Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm.

During my stay, I had the pleasure of meeting and playing with the Club’s General Manager/Superintendent and GCA’er, Leo Barber. Leo is obviously a busy man but hopefully he can provide a few comments along the way, perhaps giving some inside knowledge for those planning on attending the Boomerang event in March 2012.

I will not attempt to review Paraparam’, as this was done brilliantly by Ran in the Courses By Country Section, not so long ago. Rather, I thought I’d share some photos of perhaps the key design element of the golf course - subtle greens with severe slopes and depressions surrounding them. During my time on this wonderful links, these slopes often caught me out. Although my short game was on, ‘up and downs’ were rare, placing a premium on approaches.

Firstly, here are a couple of photos of the long par-3 2nd hole, played into the prevailing wind. It’s a rather narrow green, and you will be doing well to make par should you miss the green on either side. 

Here is another par-3 at the 5th hole. Below shows two photos from the right side of the green, followed by the rear, illustrating severe slopes on all sides. And wonderful par-3 where making a three is always satisfying.

Below is the short par-4 10th hole, showing the only blowout bunker that remains on the golf course. This green is treacherous, requiring the approach shot to be played from the left side of the fairway, which hugs a small water hazard that catches any pulled tee-shot. While I like the look of this blowout bunker, I think it should be revetted, keeping in line with the remainder of the bunkers at Paraparam’, including one that is hidden behind this one.

The 13th hole is a wonderful and bunkerless par-4. It is on the most undulating part of the property, with it’s fairway rising and falling dramatically. The approach shot (a 5-iron for me) was one of those shots in golf that is truly a ‘make or break’ shot that is often at an important stage of a match. The first photo is taken back from where the approach is from, while the second photo shows what the golf is faced with should their approach shot come up short of the green, rolling all the way back down the slope, some 50 metres from the green.

The 15th hole was one of my favourites at Paraparam’. A blind drive that needs to be shaped right to left will leave a short approach with the wind whipping off the right shoulder. Brilliantly, this subtle green will push any slightly miscued ball off the left side, and down a dramatic slope. On the day following this one, the pin was cut in the middle of the green. I hit a perfect drive and had just 90 metres in. My approach was a low spinning wedge that I pulled ever so slightly. It pitched on the middle of the green, spun left and kept rolling until it fell off the left side…bogey 5. I’d love to see the pin on the left side!

The 16th is Paraparams’ version of the Postage Stamp. Less than 130 metres but playing into a stiff breeze, you simply cannot miss this target left of the greenside mound. That being the case, so many balls tend to miss the green right, leaving yet another difficult pitch up a steep slope. Depending on where the pin is, you can use that green side mound as a backstop should you miss the green right.

17 is one of the great holes on this enjoyable links, where off the tee, you have a short right option or a long left option. During my visit, the long left option to the upper part of the fairway was the best play, as it was playing downwind. This also presented an easier approach shot thankfully, to a treacherous green that simply cannot be missed left or long. The photo below has been taken from behind the green.

Lastly, I thought I’d show you a photo of the 18th hole – a short par-5 that is a rather weak hole when it comes to strokeplay, but a wonderful hole should matches reach the last hole. When played downwind like it was on this occasion, the green was reached in two with just a 6-iron. The pin position shown below is the most accessible, but the best one is back-right, as it was on the final day, meaning that a cut is required to get the ball close – not an easy task when the wind is coming off the right.

To those GCA’ers that are playing in the Boomerang event at Paraparaumu Beach in March, enjoy this wonderful links – I certainly did!

Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Michael Goldstein

Ben- love it. 

1. What kind of shots did you hit from off the greens?
2. You mentioned the bunker on 10, anything else that stood out as something that didn't necessarily fit the eye?
3. Favorite vino?
@Pure_Golf

Ben Jarvis

Ben- love it. 

1. What kind of shots did you hit from off the greens?
2. You mentioned the bunker on 10, anything else that stood out as something that didn't necessarily fit the eye?
3. Favorite vino?

Goldy,

1. While I normally like to bump shots into slopes, I found myself using a 60 degree, albeit back in the stance to get the lower spinning shot - that was the intention anyway! On a lot of occasions, the green surrounds were too steep and soft for the bump shot.
2. Not a fan of those cabbage trees, particularly the one on 18. Leo and Jamie tell me they are native, so that being the case, I can forgive them for being there. Not a fan though.
3. Very tame trip. Did enjoy a local beer (name escapes me at the moment).

Matthew Mollica

2011 has been a stellar year for you Ben!

Well done on the review of PB. Great photos too. I love the rumpled fairways.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ben Jarvis

2011 has been a stellar year for you Ben!

Well done on the review of PB. Great photos too. I love the rumpled fairways.

MM

Thanks Matt - appreciate the kind words.

Yes, it's been an amazing year and will be forever grateful for the opportunities.

Michael Goldstein

Tame? I'll have to have a word with JP.

How would you rate Pram Beach in the big scheme of things?  Personally, the more I think about the game of golf the more endearing the course becomes...
@Pure_Golf

Ben Jarvis

Tame? I'll have to have a word with JP.

How would you rate Pram Beach in the big scheme of things?  Personally, the more I think about the game of golf the more endearing the course becomes...

I loved it's simplicity and subtleness. Endearing is a wonderful way of describing it.

There aren't many courses I've enjoyed more after playing it on four consecutive days. PB is one of them. The more you play it, the better it is. That's the true meaning of a great golf course, in my opinion.

For the record, JP had a busy couple of weeks. We managed to play 54 holes though.

jeffwarne

very refreshing not to see a bunch of fake bunkers creating/ dictating strategy and marring the landscape
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott Macpherson

Well done Ben, nice photos and descriptions. Glad you made it there.

PBGC is where I learnt to play golf. My parents live 15 minutes away and I spent many years learning to play running shots, flop shots, pitch & Runs shots etc on that course. There is little doubt in my mind that my love for links golf grew from my experiences at PBGC. I think the forms have 'perfect scale' for golf. They are not to big or too small. I try to return there once a year and have noticed that Leo Barber and his team have done an incredible job to get the course back to its best. It is a great course and needs people with passion, like Leo, to ensure it remains one of the great courses in Australasia.

Hope you get to go back one day.

scott

Ben Sims

Ben,

I must say, though I've never seen a picture of Pram Beach that I haven't liked, yours capture something that has been missing in many of the landscape photos I've seen of it.  By taking the pictures you took, you highlighted the maintenance meld at Pram.  Some of the mowing they do there is nothing short of epic.  Leo should be proud that he has a Sup and crew that can present it the way it appears here.

It is without a doubt in the Top 5 of courses I must see in OZ and NZ.  Well placed hazards, judicious use of slopes, the land is the star.  Much like many of the closet greats of Eastward Ho and Meadow Club here in the US.  

Ben Jarvis

Re: Paraparaumu Beach - try and get up and down from these greenside slopes!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Jeff - that's one of the things I loved about the course - It's simplicity with the rolls of the land dictating the strategy.

Scott - thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't know how the course appeared or played prior to my visit. It was certainly in great shape and i'm sure it will be even better once summer kicks in and the turf plays faster and firmer. I'd imagine the course is at its best come February/March.

On a side note, I had lunch at Royal Wellington and visited their Pro Shop. I was excited to find they had a signed copy of your book, St Andrews - Evolution of the Old Course. I purchased it without hesitation and look forward to reading it further. Congratulations on what looks to be a wonderful addition to my golf library.

Ben - I'm glad I've been able to show something a little different. The land at Paraparaumu is most definitely the star. Get yourself over here soon and enjoy the golf courses on offer!

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »
Ben S: Leo has a really effective way of communicating to the Super exactly what he wants from the course.

He is -- unless this has changed very recently -- both the GM and the Super. I suppose he subscribes to the adage, "if you want something done right, do it yourself"!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:51:48 AM »
PBGC is a wonderful course only let down in my very humble opinion by the encroaching houses to the left of 10 & 11. Sadly something over which the club had no control. 2, 5 and 16 are great par threes using the land rather than water, ditches or a sea of sand. Leo and his team are doing a great job.

Anyone who can should take advantage of the 2012 Boomerang you are guaranteed a great trip.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
It's a cool idea having the GM and the Super being the same person.  Leo (I know you're lurking), perhaps you could share with Ben how many exactly are on your crew?

Chappas, your criticism has been heard before.  Fortunately the house in the landing area on 11 is owned by good friends, father & son are both in the interclub team and one is a multiple club champion so I don't think they will be complaining about golf balls coming across...

Scott, interested in your thoughts about what, if anything, lets down PBGC.

@Pure_Golf

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
What is the overall length of the course? How does it stand up to modern professional play? Didn't Tiger play there? Having seen him play on the Old Course I'm sure he had all the shots needed around these greens.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
Michael,

Very little 'let's the course down', but certainly the course plays shorter now with the modern equipment. I've caddied on 3 or 4 NZ Opens during the years, and it's noticeable how differently the course played in the latest Open (even though the course was soft, and the greens full of Poa, and the bumpiest I had ever seen them). When Leo first joined PBGC he did something simple and clever... basically stopped irrigating the course. This, almost immediately, brought the fairway undulations back into full force. Yes, of course,  this also allowed the ball to run further, but long offline shots also ran further into trouble.

The Club are creeping out of a difficult financial period. Poor modifications to the course for Tigers visit proved costly and the Club may still be wary of making any changes. I don't think any radical changes to the course are required anyway. It's a very good routing with a great set of par 3's and some other really good holes like 13 and 17.

However, where there is an opportunity to now improve the strategy of the course is with fairway bunkering. The course has virtually none. There have traditionally been two on the 18th hole, and Greg Turner added two more. He also added one on the 12th hole. But the course needs more. With the fairways now running faster, strategically placed bunkers will put a premium on accuracy from the tee, and add length the playing of the course as players favour clubs other than their driver off the tee.

As regards the 10th and 11th holes; the visuals may be compromised by the houses on the left, but the strategy is not really. The 10th is a curious little hole. Long hitters are drawn to drive it, but the green is very deceptive and accuracy is more important than length. On the 11th, the best place from which to attack the green is the left side of the FW – close to the O.B. (and houses). It's a treacherous tee shot to hit on a windy day, and most bail out right, leaving a difficult approach shot. The 4 foot high ridge crossing the fairway in the landing area makes the task even more challenging. I would venture to say that it's one of the few holes that has not had it's stroke average slashed by modern equipment. Thinking about it, it reminds me a bit of the 13th hole on TOC. While the ridge at PBGC is mown fairway, (unlike the one on TOC) the ridge acts to force most people to lay-up, thus putting the premium on accuracy and not length.

When is the GCA Bomerrang? I may have to try and come.

scott

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
Scott,
The last time I was there was that Tiger Open and the course was in poor shape.The bumpy poa greens were too soft and it seemed the club was - and had for some time - narrowed the fairways from the ideal in an attempt to compensate. When it was windy,firm and bouncy it was difficult to hit any of the fairways.
If the greens had been firm they could have had way more fairway right of 4 for example because the angle is so poor.
I always wondered if 8 would have been more fun is they cut fairway all the way to the right to create a split fairway - but it would only work if the green was hard and the pitch from the right really difficult to stop on the green. Any thoughts on that??
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:14:32 AM by Mike_Clayton »

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
Hi Clayts.

That's a good question about 8. It's really a lovely little hole. The question it poses to the golfers is, do you want to take the high road (a little longer, off the direct line, but on the fairway) or the low road straight at the pin, and have to deal with the pot bunker and its shoulder running into the green. Traditionally the low road has always been a sandy rough area where the chances are you will have a poor lie. It can be worth taking if you are playing down wind, a longish hitter, and if the pin is at the back of the green (beyond the shoulder), but seldom at any other time. (NB- Long hitters can reach the greenside bunker)

So would the hole be improved if;

A) There was a fairway along the 'low road',
B) There was a fairway along the 'low road', and a bunker or two?

Certainly more golfers would take that line if they thought they would get a better lie. But without a bunker or two, I wonder if golfers may hit as hard as they can, but aimlessly? If so, maybe two bunkers are required. One on a direct line with the flag, but nestled into the rough hump on the right (perhaps 270y out- NB, I am guessing distances here), but the second, to be in the correct place (maybe 300y-320y off the tee), and may be hidden......? What do you think about that?

To answer your question, yes it would probably make the hole more fun to widen the fairway, but it may require a fairway bunker.

Talk soon,

Scott

PS- Here are some photos of the holes for those who don't know it.

Tee shot on the 8th

View from behind the green.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:44:46 PM by Scott Macpherson »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »
I've played the hole both ways although down the right was my poor play rather than choice! With the green firm there was no merit in going the direct line. The green is small and tight so the conservative play down the left is the sensible (& correct) line to play down the length of the green. Going right will yield few birdies and many bogies. All in all a very good shortish par 4.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Coan

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
I'm somewhat a local "authority" on this hole as I live in the flat roofed house right in the center of Scott's photo in post# 17!!

It would be fantastic if the entire expanse was fairway, then the player would have to answer the question of which direction to take instead of looking to the current fairway for direction.  It's not particulary flat over on the right but nothing more "wavy" than the 3rd fairway.

There is a perfect ridge cutting across the right side of this hole that would be great placement for 2 pot bunkers and I would add a 3rd pot just toward the current fairway edge to frame the dogleg. 

The turf down the right side has greatly improved the last few years with a bit of attention from the crew so the lies aren't always that bad going that route, still it is nearly impossible to hold the green from that angle.  If you do find yourself over there the locals know the best play is to try and carry the greenside bunker just to the right (taking on the hill).  The fringe turf is not as firm and your ball will always funnel back towards the green after coming off the closely mown hillside.  Of course you risk the footlong fescue on the hill if you miss right!

One of my major pet peeves is with the 2 trees that are pictured behind the 10th green.  Let's all have a chorus to encourage Leo to cut the bloody things down!!!  Playing from the proper angle down the left side of the hole the big nasty pine provides a perfect ugly backdrop to aim at, also providing distance perspective as the green is deceptively deep (about 30 meters).  Take them down and you instantly have a wonderful skyline green with the added benefit of introducing some much needed sunshine to the green in the winter. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
I think what that hole needs is a large pond over there on the right hand side to punish all the evil-doers who want to cut off the dogleg to get to the hole.  It would be fantastic!!  ;D

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
8 was one of my favorite holes- I'm a sucker for short par-4s.

The first time I played it, I blazed away in line with the flag and had that devlish pitch that finished on the back apron. The second time, I tried playing to the left side of the green but pushed my drive and finished on a side slope some 60 meters from the pin. My playing partner proclaimed that I'm a genius if I can stop my approach on the green. I did, but only because it hit the flagstick!

On the third attempt, I again was hitting my approach from the right. Having previously studied the green, I realized the only chance I had of stopping my ball on the green was to pitch it on the front right apron, as Scott Cohn alluded to. I did, the most perfect approach shot I could come up with. Still, it run through to the backnapron, forcing me to get up and down for a four.

I think it's a wonderful hole as it is and no real need to make changes.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »
Scott,
My feeling is that anything that encouraged players to drive right and leave themselves with that near impossible pitch would be a good thing. Probably a bunker down there somewhere would help - but I would have thought it could me a long way off the tee so to encourage the less than really long drivers.
I think it would give the hole a really unique and cool look - and if it did not work it would be simple to grow it back.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Clayts,

Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained....let's ask Leo?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
Mike, interesting comment.  From what I understand once upon a time (pre Russell) the fairway used to run through the low ground on 8 to a slightly different green position. I understand your point with the wider fairway but plenty of people already go down there, from the low markers trying to drive to the green to the average player who pushes it trying to make the carry from the tee (c180 yards?).  I guess the question is, would the split fairway present the thinking golfer a viable alternative strategy and here the answer is very rarely.

Scott, I used to think the same re fairway bunkers but now I struggle to see the point. Theoretically you could (and then should) put dozens of fairway bunkers in but why? To protect par against the pro's every few years? It's such a windy place in the two opposite directions that it would seem impossible to dictate strategy of laying back off the tee. In the wind, I'm not sure modern equipment has had such a dramatic effect (except for the pro's). When Russell re-desidnged the course 60 years ago he did so with a view to it playing very firm and fast so have the strategies tee to green changed that much by a little extra length?

I guess the one place where a good discussion can be had about change are holes that have boundary issues (although obviously it would take a fool to consider change to 13).  

@Pure_Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back