News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill McKinley

bumping the thread for coverage and discussion this week.  The course looks awesome this week from tv coverage.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jim Eder

Bill,

Thanks.  Great photos.  I'll actually watch the telecast now.  The course looks fantastic.  Thanks!!

Josh Tarble

Looks like a really, really fun course.

It's pretty amazing to me that Raynor can use his templated holes on each course he designs, yet every iteration seems to have it's own unique traits.

Alex Lagowitz

Looks like a good course.

I'd be interested to hear how people rank it among the other courses in Raynor portfolio.

Bill McKinley

Really fun is definitely a good way to describe FC.  All the par 3s are really well done, but a couple of my favorite holes were the short par 5 2nd hole and the long par 4 8th.

I've played 3 Raynor's and hope to add a couple more later this year, but I would put Fox Chapel as a strong 2nd, next to Camargo in my Raynor rankings.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

George_Bahto

It’s nice to see an excellent Seth Raynor course getting such justifiable acclaim.

With the greens running over 12', the golfers will have their hands full.

Interestingly, the Fox Chapel club recently uncovered Seth’s original blueprint/topo (dated 1923) - a great find!
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

John Mayhugh

Thanks for the reminder of the tv coverage. 

Geoff Shackelford put up a link to a story from a Pittsburgh newspaper.  Some nice quotes.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/golf/course-an-unsung-jewel-642265/

"I am so impressed with it here at Fox Chapel," said Watson, who took pictures of the greens complexes during his pro-am round Wednesday to use as possible templates for his course designs. "I feel remiss not ever having played here.

Corey Pavin said yesterday, 'When I finished the 18th hole, I wanted to go start playing again.' That's the true measure of a great golf course, whether you want to go continue.

"The reason we say that is because the course is truly unique," said Mark Calcavecchia, last week's winner at the Montreal Championship. "We don't play courses like this.  "We go to Naples and they change the course there every year. We have to ride half a mile to the next tee, play a hole that looks like the hole you just played, ride another quarter-mile to the next tee through a couple lots ... here, what everyone says about it is amazing. Everyone I talked to loves it."

Tiger_Bernhardt

I am shocked oh no i am not. The broadcasters are idiots. what a comment they have never seen a biarritz hole before. What a great weekend. We get Portrush and Fox Chapel
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:29:43 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tom Yost

Are they playing a different routing for the tournament?  I'm trying to follow along with the hole descriptions on the club's web site and it seems mixed up.?

Dean DiBerardino

Are they playing a different routing for the tournament?  I'm trying to follow along with the hole descriptions on the club's web site and it seems mixed up.?

I think ??? the routing they are using for the event is 1 - 8, 15, 13, 14, 9 - 12, 16 - 18

There is an official digital program online with a course map and hole descriptions at

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Golfweek-Custom-Media/2012constellationenergyseniorplayersopt/2012061901/#0

Ronald Montesano

That's interesting...tomato, tomahto. The only ripple is the walk from 8 green to new 9/usual 12 tee.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dean DiBerardino

Interestingly, the Fox Chapel club recently uncovered Seth’s original blueprint/topo (dated 1923) - a great find!

George:

It would be interesting to know how the original blueprint matches up with the 1938 aerial of FCGC below to see how much of it was built to the plan.

Also, in a previous thread on here, there was discussion of some of the features from 1938 that are no longer in existence (but might be re-established :)) such as….

- The 4th hole (Long) was originally a Road hole.
- The 9th hole (Dustpan) originally had a Lions Mouth bunker with the green extending around it to the front right.
- The Biarritz 17th hole originally had a top-shot bunker on it.
- Some of the fairway bunkering has been reconfigured over the years.

Tim Gavrich

Thing thing I can't get over is just how awesome those near-sheer bunker faces look. It looks like it's a bit tricky/labor-intensive to keep them in good order all the time; is that true?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

George Freeman

The course looks REALLY good on TV.  Wow, looks like tons of fun...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JMEvensky

Looking at the scores,are Golden Age classic courses now too short for the Senior Tour?

Niall Hay

How long are the Seniors playing the course this week?

Dean DiBerardino

6710 is the yardage in the spectator guide.

Dan Herrmann

FC blew me away on TV.  Guess we do have great courses in Pennsylvania outside of Philly :) 

mike_malone

I have not played here but did play Alleghany. They appeared similar from the tv and my experience at Alleghany. I enjoyed Alleghany.
AKA Mayday

Bill McKinley

Re: Fox Chapel Golf Club - Raynor 1923 - Photo Tour (All 18 holes posted!)
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
Bumping for Sean A.  :)

Enjoy...

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
This is an awesome thread. And an awesome golf course.

Thanks much for the tour. And I love the photo of you standing in the biarritz.

Nate Oxman

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
Let's give some love to Superintendent Jason Hurwitz, formerly the first assistant at Oakmont, for keeping Fox Chapel in impeccable condition. What a great place!

Sean_A

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
Bumping for Sean A.  :)

Enjoy...

Cheers!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Terry Lavin

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
Played the Chapel today after a couple rounds at Oakmont. Wow. Just great.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back