News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Re: Eaglesticks GC Zanesville, Ohio PHOTO TOUR =- All 18 holes posted
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
I am hoping to play Zanesville CC, Athens CC and Belmont CC before cold weather sets in! I have never heard all that much about ZCC or even anything about the other two...
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tom Allen

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Hi Richard.  Great tour.  I also don't want to derail the thread, but I see in your "recently played" list you list Brown's Run, my former home course.  I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

P.S.  I intend to play Eagle Sticks soon, so I really enjoyed this preview.

Brian Finn

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
Hi Richard.  Great tour.  I also don't want to derail the thread, but I see in your "recently played" list you list Brown's Run, my former home course.  I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I like EagleSticks.  It's a fun golf course with a nice variety of holes. 

Tom - any time you want to head out there, let me know.  We can play my place in Columbus and Eaglesticks.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tom Allen

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »
Sounds great Brian--thanks for the offer. I will likely take you up on it as soon as my schedule permits!

Billsteele

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
Zanesville Country Club is a very sporty golf course. The design is attributed to Chick Evans, the great amateur, but I don't know if that was some sort of marketing ploy or not. The best part of the course comes early in the round. After a relatively mundane dogleg right par five, the course transitions into a river valley with some very good holes (#2-somewhat of a cape hole with a creek running down the right side, #4- a nice right to left par four with a downhill tee shot to  and a pretty interesting green, #5- a longish par three that plays decidedly uphill). The course is situated on a plateau with the river valley. The majority of the routing is over the plateau and the holes there are solid but not spectacular. The river valley comes into play on holes 2 through 4. The back nine is good but the best hole may be the last...an uphill par three of about 150 yards with a green canted from back to front. In fact the four par threes are very good here. It is well worth a play and flies a bit below the radar. Not quite in the same league as the best small town club in Ohio...Springfield, but few clubs are.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »

I liked it, I took pics so I can post those later this week or as soon as time allows.
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Zanesville Country Club is a very sporty golf course. The design is attributed to Chick Evans, the great amateur, but I don't know if that was some sort of marketing ploy or not. The best part of the course comes early in the round. After a relatively mundane dogleg right par five, the course transitions into a river valley with some very good holes (#2-somewhat of a cape hole with a creek running down the right side, #4- a nice right to left par four with a downhill tee shot to  and a pretty interesting green, #5- a longish par three that plays decidedly uphill). The course is situated on a plateau with the river valley. The majority of the routing is over the plateau and the holes there are solid but not spectacular. The river valley comes into play on holes 2 through 4. The back nine is good but the best hole may be the last...an uphill par three of about 150 yards with a green canted from back to front. In fact the four par threes are very good here. It is well worth a play and flies a bit below the radar. Not quite in the same league as the best small town club in Ohio...Springfield, but few clubs are.

Hi Bill! Hope you are well! So Zanesville CC is not a "Ross"?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:05:23 PM by Richard Hetzel »

Billsteele

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
Rich-Zanesville's website lists Evans as the designer and says that Ross collaborated. The Donald Ross Society lists Zanesville as a Ross course. So, it seems like Ross was involved there although the exact extent of his involvement is not clear.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
My apologies for being concise with the Ross declaration. The info I had was from the course's web site and the Ross Society's Course Listing PDF.

I played Brown's Run a few years ago at the end of March. My pictures wouldn't do that course justice. I remember thinking it would be a fun club to join if it were a bit closer to me. Lots of dogleg holes, but with variety.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
My apologies for being concise with the Ross declaration. The info I had was from the course's web site and the Ross Society's Course Listing PDF.

I played Brown's Run a few years ago at the end of March. My pictures wouldn't do that course justice. I remember thinking it would be a fun club to join if it were a bit closer to me. Lots of dogleg holes, but with variety.

We are thinking of joining there, along with a few other places. Decisions. It was a nice course, but there are a ton of dead trees from the ash borer I think. I wonder what their plan is to remove the dead trees. I am sure it is going to cost the club an arm and 2 legs. I'll post all 18 later this evening...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back