News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Golf Baan Stippelberg tops Old Macdonald in Golf Inc. Awards
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »
December 7, 2011
By Tierney Plumb

Golf Baan Stippelberg in the Netherlands beat out several storied golf course developments to be named Development of the Year for 2011, Golf Inc. magazine announced on December 7. The course was designed by Michiel van der Vaart of Jol Golf Design.

Old MacDonald, the latest course by Mike Keiser and Tom Doak in Bandon Dunes, Ore., placed second in the competition, followed by Mission Hills, Hainan, the 180-hole giant development in China, designed by Schmidt-Curley.

The article continues...http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/stippelberg-old-macdonald-mission-hills-capture-development-year-honors

Anyone here familiar with the golf course?

Sam Morrow

Re: Golf Baan Stippelberg tops Old Macdonald in Golf Inc. Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
Here you go Eric, I guessed you spoke freaky deaky dutch.

http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl/

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:08:26 AM »
There's also a piece on Stippelberg in our current issue. Very good course. Most compelling fact: 1,200 members signed up within three months of opening! Golf in the Netherlands is doing very nicely, thanks!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »
Adam,

1200 members!!! What's the joining fee...100E?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »
There's also a piece on Stippelberg in our current issue. Very good course. Most compelling fact: 1,200 members signed up within three months of opening! Golf in the Netherlands is doing very nicely, thanks!

Thanks, Adam. I found a mention of the project by you when searching this site last night. Also found a bunch of pics of the course on the architects' facebook page.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
Probably the voters didn't like Old MacDonald, because it didn't have ponds strewn haphazardly through the course. I figure making short into an island green would have sewn up the honors for Old MacDonald.

But then who wants to receive an award from a bunch of idiots.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »
With all the awards Bandon Resort has won...

...I don't think Mike K was waiting with baited breathe on this one.  The word is out on the resort, its a known entity, its all a gravy train from here on in!  ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
Garland,

Aside from which course may or may not possess the greatest gca, I would venture that Golf Inc.'s designation goes beyond architecture and they have awarded this particular project for it's immediate positive impact on the local golf scene in the Netherlands.  As Adam mentioned, they sold 1,200 memberships (!) within three months of the course's opening.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »
Garland,

Aside from which course may or may not possess the greatest gca, I would venture that Golf Inc.'s designation goes beyond architecture and they have awarded this particular project for it's immediate positive impact on the local golf scene in the Netherlands.  As Adam mentioned, they sold 1,200 memberships (!) within three months of the course's opening.

Yes, it's always good to join a place that has an island green. That way, more island greens will be built. Guess they're good for cart sales, because once you've lost the hole on the tee, you can just climb in the cart and drive to the next tee. No useless walking required if you play cart ball in the presence of ponds.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »
I've been to the Netherlands half a dozen times to look at lots of different golf courses and I've barely seen a group riding carts. Stippelberg is quite a long walk, because the property is a bit spread out. But the Dutch, generally speaking, don't take carts.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »

Garland,

It was built on a former sand quarry. So they left some water hazards...how does this equate to a less than quality golf course in your mind?

I must say, your negativity is a real drag my friend.

David Nelson

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
Well done to Michiel & Philip on their great achievement at Stippelberg!

I look forward to playing the course soon!

Philip Spogard

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »
David:
It would be my great pleasure to join you!

I am one of the two architects behind the course design - together with Michiel van der Vaart. I will see if I can post some photos during the coming days. Otherwise check out Spogard & VanderVaart on Facebook for some of the latest photos and aerials.

It has been a great project to work with - but with quite a challenging configuration of parcels like Adam mentions. This results in a few unavoidable walks - but on the other hand, the site offers some unique features you don't experience on most other courses.

As I have written a dissertation on historical heathland courses - and draw most of my professional inspiration from the early British heathland courses - we decided to take advantage of the sandy soil and the fact that it used to be old heathland to undertake quite a massive landscape restoration project. It seems to have come off very well as the heather is starting to really spring out of the ground.

A unique feature for the course will be the massive quarry lake which will be further excavated during the coming years to become a massive feature for the course. This is of course not fully in tune with the old heathland courses but it does create a more 'linksy' and open playing environment - perhaps more comparable to the way the original heathland courses played before they became overgrown with trees. It does also create quite spectacular views from around the course.

We are proud of the result and with the success the club enjoys. With more than 1200 members it is an amazing story - for a part of the Netherlands which struggles to attract more than 300-400 members per club.

I will be happy to answer any questions but am very busy these days dealing with the (sudden) attention the course is attracting.

Philip

Philip Spogard

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
The 'island' green by the way was a must from the client.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »
I've been to the Netherlands half a dozen times to look at lots of different golf courses and I've barely seen a group riding carts. Stippelberg is quite a long walk, because the property is a bit spread out. But the Dutch, generally speaking, don't take carts.

My point is that with designs incorporating island greens, they will be encouraged to start riding carts. Now, you tell me it is quite a long walk! Oh my goodness, more encouragement.  >:(

If I am playing a match, and my opponent hits his shot onto the green while I hit mine into the water, I concede the hole and any walking there is useless. Might as well hop on a cart and head to the next tee, because I am no longer playing golf on that hole. I don't mind walking over mountains if I'm still competing on a golf hole. It's the walking while not playing that is a drag. That is why my walkability ratings on the walking golfer website only rate the walks between green and next tee with respect to walkability of a course.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »

My point is that with designs incorporating island greens, they will be encouraged to start riding carts. Now, you tell me it is quite a long walk! Oh my goodness, more encouragement.  >:(

If I am playing a match, and my opponent hits his shot onto the green while I hit mine into the water, I concede the hole and any walking there is useless. Might as well hop on a cart and head to the next tee, because I am no longer playing golf on that hole. I don't mind walking over mountains if I'm still competing on a golf hole. It's the walking while not playing that is a drag. That is why my walkability ratings on the walking golfer website only rate the walks between green and next tee with respect to walkability of a course.

Just don't hit it in the water.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »

And the long distances between green and tee? Are you suggesting perhaps a jet pack carry bag?  :P

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

And the long distances between green and tee? Are you suggesting perhaps a jet pack carry bag?  :P

No just walk it. I really don't get things on this site sometimes (often times). If you walk a course you're walking several miles, right? Well if you're doing all that walking who cares if you have to walk an extra couple of hundred yards here and there.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
The 'island' green by the way was a must from the client.

You mean you didn't put the client in contact with Melvyn to help him understand the evils of such? ;)

Michael Latham

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
Phillip,
Many congratulations on the success of this project. I look forward to visiting in the spring.

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »

Garland,

It was built on a former sand quarry. So they left some water hazards...how does this equate to a less than quality golf course in your mind?

Eric,

3:1 that nobody bitches about the water and carts at Streamsong.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »

Garland,

My latest design was on land with some hills. Philip criticized it for me having left some blind shots.

At least there is no penalty for hitting a ball over a hill.  ;)

How many ponds at Dismal River? How many blind shots? ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
  8) How cool is it to have Philip jump in on this thread! I had no idea he was here.

Philip,

Thank you for your comments and congratulations to both you and Michiel for receiving this award.

My latest design was on land with some hills. Philip criticized it for me having left some blind shots.

At least there is no penalty for hitting a ball over a hill.  ;)

How many ponds at Dismal River? How many blind shots? ;)

Garland,

I'm afraid you've lost me with your design comments?

And I guess I'm a bit confused with the Dismal query. But to answer, yes a couple of itty bitty koi ponds there. One in front of 4 green and another back and to the right behind 16 green. Both with windmills attached. :-* As far as blind shots - yes, several blind shots at DR.

Now, what does this have to do with your beef with Stippelberg winning this award??

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I gotta tell you, I'm no fan of water on a golf course.  But that course looks incredible.  From those photos and aeriel view of the course, it doesn't look like water is over-used.  And the diagonal/angles hazards and approach angles to the greens look great.  The hole backdrops look great.  The bunkering looks great. 

Road trip to The Netherlands coming up!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
I gotta tell you, I'm no fan of water on a golf course.  But that course looks incredible.  From those photos and aeriel view of the course, it doesn't look like water is over-used.  And the diagonal/angles hazards and approach angles to the greens look great.  The hole backdrops look great.  The bunkering looks great. 

Road trip to The Netherlands coming up!!

Sounds like a great idea Mac!

Ever since seeing Royal Hague on Shells WWG I have wanted to try it...now another reason to head there!

Congrats Philip!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back