News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: The role of boasting in golf and on this site.
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »
JK,

Someone you know once counseled against bringing too much attention to oneself in his golf travels.  While I was unable to get him to clarify that thought, I think it might touch on your thread.

I enjoy seeing where people are playing and their thoughts on the courses.  I understand it can be a double-edged sword, with the potential impressions of boasting and unwanted criticisms weighing against the benefits.

Not that we have any here who can be accused of false humility, but I prefer the direct commentary sans provocative rhetoric (e.g. "architectural mal-practice", "putrid" design), than the "Aw shucks, I am just a lucky guy who just had the privilige of playing Top 20 course X and I found it to be among the most interesting of its kind.  And talk about being on a roll, I just got a call to play Top 5 Course Y tomorrow, but I am supposed to sit-in with Super Rock guitarist Z and help him with some chord progressions.  What to do?"

And talk about getting fat.  I've gained a cumulative 10 pounds in my last three golf trips and can't seem to turn it around.  I think you might be right about losing perspective.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
It just occured to me that, if/when I ever have something to boast about re golf and golf courses, no amount of good taste or well-meaning advice will be able to shut me up or turn aside for even a second the steady torrent of posts and self-serving asides pouring forth from my pen.  I will make myself a fool for boasting!!  Oh, that will be fun.

Thank you, JK -- you have helped me understand myself a little better.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:16:27 PM by PPallotta »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »
In my opinion, continually boasting where you play gets old.  When you talk about good shots you hit, thats a different story to me.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Not to boast, but I actually like to hear about folks' good shots and where they have played. I don't care if it is boasting or just sharing good news. IT is nice to hear.

That is it Tommy.  We all seem to have a passion for golf, good shots, good scores, good courses.  I can tell my wife I went and played NGLA, and some of my non-GCA golf buddies, but they don't care or get it.  But when I hear a story of a friend of mine, a GCA'er, hitting the green on NGLA #2 from the tee and shedding a tear when he discoverd that he pulled off the shot he'd been dreaming about his whole life...I'm excited for him...I'm not jealous...and I don't think he's bragging about it.  He's sharing a story that means something to him.  I want to hear it.  I want to re-live it with him, as much as I can.

Mac,

I did a search and was surprised to only find eight times that you had prayed for various people or courses on this site.  Does it bother you that when doing the same search for me that I have two pages of hits?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »
Not to boast, but I actually like to hear about folks' good shots and where they have played. I don't care if it is boasting or just sharing good news. IT is nice to hear.

Have you ever given a really great sermon about boasting?  I have always enjoyed reading about your golf exploits in the context of your vocation.  I found it interesting while doing research for this topic that boasting is referred to as a vice in many religions.  I always thought it more of a sin.  The very fact that you say above that you do not care if people boast as long as it is good information makes me believe that perhaps it is just a vice.  Kind of like overeating where the harm is more to oneself than society.

Personally I need to be convinced that constant boasting on this site is not like a cruise that never docks.  Eventually we all get so fat from the buffet that we lose our taste for anything special.  I click on the top ten thread just to read the names and skip over the courses.

John, my answer was in reference to this site and not as a general statement.  That said, let me offer a few thoughts on boasting in a more general sense.  St. Paul wrote, " Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." Romans 12:3  Growing up in a Norwegian pietist home, I was taught not to brag or boast. I took it so seriously that when someone would make a positive comment on a sermon, I would try to deflect it. St. Paul didn't say don't think highly of yourself but "don't think more highly of yourself than you ought."

One of my favorite books is  Life of the Beloved  by Henri Nouwen.  Nouwen maintains that the world constantly tells us, "You don't work hard enough," "You don't have enough," 'You aren't a good enough parent," "You aren't good enough," etc.  Nouwen says we need to be reminded that we are God's beloved precious people.  The Psalmist wrote, "For it was you who created my being, knit me together in my mother's womb, I thank you for the wonder of my being, for the wonders of all your creation." What I find more often than not, are folks who can't appreciate the wonder of their being.  Sometimes boasting is just a way for someone to celebrate their wonder. The goal I think is to be able to celebrate  your wonder and belovedness without having to boast. 

In the mean time I want to hear more about Dismal River from you.  I played it a year after it opened and am really curious to know more of what Nicklaus did to the course in the past couple of years.
Have a blessed Christmas.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
In my opinion, continually boasting where you play gets old.  When you talk about good shots you hit, thats a different story to me.

Mark

This is an excellent point.  One of my favorite techniques is when a course or hole is so iconic that you can describe a shot without having to name the course.  Something like..."You know, that reminds me of the time on 16 I nutted a driver and barely carried the ocean."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:22:54 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »

Have you ever given a really great sermon about boasting?  I have always enjoyed reading about your golf exploits in the context of your vocation.  I found it interesting while doing research for this topic that boasting is referred to as a vice in many religions.  I always thought it more of a sin.  The very fact that you say above that you do not care if people boast as long as it is good information makes me believe that perhaps it is just a vice.  Kind of like overeating where the harm is more to oneself than society.

Personally I need to be convinced that constant boasting on this site is not like a cruise that never docks.  Eventually we all get so fat from the buffet that we lose our taste for anything special.  I click on the top ten thread just to read the names and skip over the courses.

John, my answer was in reference to this site and not as a general statement.  That said, let me offer a few thoughts on boasting in a more general sense.  St. Paul wrote, " Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." Romans 12:3  Growing up in a Norwegian pietist home, I was taught not to brag or boast. I took it so seriously that when someone would make a positive comment on a sermon, I would try to deflect it. St. Paul didn't say don't think highly of yourself but "don't think more highly of yourself than you ought."

One of my favorite books is  Life of the Beloved  by Henri Nouwen.  Nouwen maintains that the world constantly tells us, "You don't work hard enough," "You don't have enough," 'You aren't a good enough parent," "You aren't good enough," etc.  Nouwen says we need to be reminded that we are God's beloved precious people.  The Psalmist wrote, "For it was you who created my being, knit me together in my mother's womb, I thank you for the wonder of my being, for the wonders of all your creation." What I find more often than not, are folks who can't appreciate the wonder of their being.  Sometimes boasting is just a way for someone to celebrate their wonder. The goal I think is to be able to celebrate  your wonder and belovedness without having to boast. 

In the mean time I want to hear more about Dismal River from you.  I played it a year after it opened and am really curious to know more of what Nicklaus did to the course in the past couple of years.

Wow, thanks.  I need to get in the car and drive safely home to my beloved family.  Hopefully I can respond tomorrow but if not, have a blessed Holiday yourself.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »
I've always felt the underlying issues at work have manifested themselves best by what I call the facebook effect.

Its not that facebook created anything new, they just created much easier access whereby one can follow a whole gaggle of people, aka friends, by a much more convient method.  And why do they do this? Almost always based out of boredom.  As the vast majority of people lead a drab, drama-less, going thru the motions existence, we get our fill for the most part by living vicariously thru others.....Its the only reason I can figure those gossip shows on TV are so wildly popular and draw such massive ratings.

So the role of boasting on GCA.com isn't about you...its about everyone else logging on and seeing what the latest lucky bastage got to do and see, while the rest of continue on with the day to day grind.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
JakaB,

Because part of the inherent lure of the game is to pull off improbable shots, shots generally considered to be beyond our mental and physical ability to conceptualize and execute them.

We all remember the extraordinary ones we pulled off, and rarely remember those we didn't

David Kelly

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
In my opinion, continually boasting where you play gets old.  When you talk about good shots you hit, thats a different story to me.

Mark

This is an excellent point.  One of my favorite techniques is when a course or hole is so iconic that you can describe a shot without having to name the course.  Something like..."You know, that reminds me of the time on 16 I nutted a driver and barely carried the ocean."

Ah yes, the Royal Course at Vale do Lobo.

As for me I want to hear where people have played and what they thought of the courses but I could care less how they played or what they shot just as I don't really care what I shoot. I can go to BombSquad Golf to hear about people's scores and shots.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Eric Smith

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
when I hear a story of a friend of mine, a GCA'er, hitting the green on NGLA #2 from the tee and shedding a tear when he discoverd that he pulled off the shot he'd been dreaming about his whole life...I'm excited for him...I'm not jealous...and I don't think he's bragging about it.  He's sharing a story that means something to him.  I want to hear it.  I want to re-live it with him, as much as I can.

Well, maybe not his WHOLE life.;D But you're right. The stories shared are fun to follow. See you on the 27th.

archie_struthers

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
 ;D :D ;)

One of the most awesome things about golf is that we mortals sometimes hit shots, play holes or even occasionally have rounds that  would make a professional player proud.  This is why we keep coming back. You'll never ( most of you) take off from the foul line like MJ but some of you no doubt have more holes in one than A Palmer.....maybe  lol

Just last year a six -handicap friend of mine (63 yrs old but a solid player) shot 67 and it could have been lower. You should have seen the broad smile that resulted when he made a tough ten footer on 18 to finish the deal! He followed that up with an 82 the next day, and we all got some of our money back  LOL !   It does happen, good luck and go do it!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »

That is it Tommy.  We all seem to have a passion for golf, good shots, good scores, good courses.  I can tell my wife I went and played NGLA, and some of my non-GCA golf buddies, but they don't care or get it.  But when I hear a story of a friend of mine, a GCA'er, hitting the green on NGLA #2 from the tee and shedding a tear when he discoverd that he pulled off the shot he'd been dreaming about his whole life...I'm excited for him...I'm not jealous...and I don't think he's bragging about it.  He's sharing a story that means something to him.  I want to hear it.  I want to re-live it with him, as much as I can.

Mac,

I did a search and was surprised to only find eight times that you had prayed for various people or courses on this site.  Does it bother you that when doing the same search for me that I have two pages of hits?

It doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, I am happy for you and your caring for others well-being.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
when I hear a story of a friend of mine, a GCA'er, hitting the green on NGLA #2 from the tee and shedding a tear when he discoverd that he pulled off the shot he'd been dreaming about his whole life...I'm excited for him...I'm not jealous...and I don't think he's bragging about it.  He's sharing a story that means something to him.  I want to hear it.  I want to re-live it with him, as much as I can.

Well, maybe not his WHOLE life.;D But you're right. The stories shared are fun to follow. See you on the 27th.

As Mac would say:

BOOM
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »

As Mac would say:

BOOM

Nope. That's Becker.

Mac would say, BLAMMO! or KAPOW!

JC Jones

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »

As Mac would say:

BOOM

Nope. That's Becker.

That's right.  Reading Mac's posts is like watching an old Batman movie.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
It is easy to tell the difference between boasting and genuine enthusiasm. When I hear a story from someone who is genuinely excited about an opportunity or experience I do not consider it boasting. However, when someone finds a way to maneuver a conversation into the opportunity to "share" their good fortune or success it is most often pure boasting and boorish.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael George

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »
It is easy to tell the difference between boasting and genuine enthusiasm. When I hear a story from someone who is genuinely excited about an opportunity or experience I do not consider it boasting. However, when someone finds a way to maneuver a conversation into the opportunity to "share" their good fortune or success it is most often pure boasting and boorish.

Agree fully. 

I learned early in life that it is better to be a good listener than a good talker.  If it is genuine excitement, it is great to be around.  I love being around a modest guy that hits a shot that he cannot believe.  If it is something else, it is often unbearable.  I hate discussions like "if I wouldn't have had that bad bounce, I would have shot XX" - but you did so be quiet.  As Golf in the Kingdom said, the walk is a lot more important than the score.   

As Paul Brown said, "when you score a touchdown, pretend like you have been there before."  That is why I just walk to the green, pick up my gimmee putt and go to the the next tee.  ::)
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

PThomas

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:30 PM »

As Mac would say:

BOOM

Nope. That's Becker.

i just got my first BOOM from Becker yesterday!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JC Jones

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »

As Mac would say:

BOOM

Nope. That's Becker.

Did it make you feel dirty?  That's how I felt.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
I once played with a former U. S. Open champion who stated "that's a touch of class there" when I executed a nifty bump and run.  I wish I had responded with "tell me something I don't know."

Bogey

You obviously mistook me for Billy Casper, or maybe Orville Moody, but you do have a nifty short game.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »
You've always gotta suspect the the guy who starts his thread out with  "Fellas, I'm going to be playing Friar's Head, The National, Shinnecock, then move onto the mainland and play WFW and WFE. What can you tell me about theses courses?. Thanks. " 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Terry Lavin

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
I suppose I've been guilty of boasting from time to time, like chiming in on hole-in-one reports, but a lot of the boasting hereabouts is viewed by me as either lame or a thinly-veiled expansion of access whoring, where people brag about where they have played, want to play or figure that they'll never be able to play.  That stuff is pretty tiresome, but just wait for the 2012 wish list thread.  It'll be here before you know it!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

Beautiful post.

Mr. Nouwen obviously isn't aware of the self-esteem movement of the last couple decades. His book must be a refreshing read, I will have to look it up. Thanks.

-----

Boasting is in the eye of the beholder.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jonathan_becker

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »

As Mac would say:

BOOM

Nope. That's Becker.

Did it make you feel dirty?  That's how I felt.

BOOM!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back