News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: 2011 Pictures of the Year Contest
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
Meh...looks like he heeled it.

Nah, just an old school outside/in swing path to hit a low heel cut, shaping it for the line of charm off the tee.  Even though "the kid" is going modern with the untucked shirt and cargo pants, his knowledge of GCA is superior to any other kid in his neighborhood.

He's also violating the logo count rule - I see "Roo's," "Osh-Kosh" and "Carter's" and I'd bet that hat has a Shorty's logo.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
I'm not in the business of criticizing photos, but I'll make an exception and inquire:  exactly WHAT about that Shinny photo is anything above ordinary? The fescue is way too high for anyone to enjoy playing a course lined with that hemp, and it obstructs the view of the fairways...I could go on, but that's enough for now.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Ed and Mark...great shot of #18 (?) at Carolina...as long as there's a Bojangles, it's a neighborhood.

I enjoyed CGC tremendously...would love to get back.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
I'm not in the business of criticizing photos, but I'll make an exception and inquire:  exactly WHAT about that Shinny photo is anything above ordinary? The fescue is way too high for anyone to enjoy playing a course lined with that hemp, and it obstructs the view of the fairways...I could go on, but that's enough for now.

Mo,

Don't tell me you didn't cry the first time you saw THE LION KING.

Jim Briggs

« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »

Not a winner either...but my current screen saver.   The little guy warming up before his Junior Club Championship finals match at our local place in Ramsey, NJ.  His finish is a reminder as to why I am the third best golfer in my household.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:42:31 PM by Jim Briggs »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »

The harmony between the golf course and nature is extraordinary.  That, notwithstanding juxtapositions between the kept and unkept landscape and between the artificially green strips of fairway and nature's more artistic color palette. 

Having been there, the photograph literally makes my spirit soar.  By comparison, so many of the other photographs are just of a golf course/hole.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JC Jones

« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

Mo,

Don't tell me you didn't cry the first time you saw THE LION KING.

Eric,

Not everyone cries at every children's movie they see.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »

Not a winner either...but my current screen saver.   The little guy warming up before his Junior Club Championship finals match at our local place in Ramsey, NJ.  His finish is a reminder as to why I am the third best golfer in my household.

Jim,

That finish seems a bit Freddie-Couples-esque!   ...with a glove added in.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tim Martin

« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2011, 04:38:09 PM »

My son Jack was helping out with some Christmas decorations and swinging one of the many clubs that are handy around the yard. I thought the position at the top was pretty good and also a reason why I can no longer lay claim to the title of best golfer in my house either. :) 

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
Dear Michael,

"By comparison, so many of the other photographs are just of a golf course/hole."
Oh dear ! Christmas is a'coming...so is Scrooge!!!

I am disheartened, dismayed, discouraged and discombobulated to think that dear old Crail may not possess "harmony between the golf course and nature".

Yours in a vale of tears (no emoticon will do it justice!),

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Peter_Collins

« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
delete

jeffwarne

« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »
I'm not in the business of criticizing photos, but I'll make an exception and inquire:  exactly WHAT about that Shinny photo is anything above ordinary? The fescue is way too high for anyone to enjoy playing a course lined with that hemp, and it obstructs the view of the fairways...I could go on, but that's enough for now.

Ronald,
The "fescue" you're looking at in the foreground (actually bluestem is the brown rough you see waving) is dead left off 14 tee-out of play unless you top it 7 yards dead left.
The bluestem rough is very playable in most areas. I hit it pretty crooked and haven't had a lot of trouble with recovery.
Obstructing the view of the faiirways?
Really?
The 14th fairway is 90 degrees right of that photo(completely out of camera view)

This photo is along a road in Southampton I regularly take just for this view.

As you suggest, it's not a great idea to critique a course over photos.
Only recently I've seen photos of a course   ;) that looked simply...."ordinary", yet got quite afew favorable comments.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:13:05 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt Day

« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
Meh...looks like he heeled it.

Nah, just an old school outside/in swing path to hit a low heel cut, shaping it for the line of charm off the tee.  Even though "the kid" is going modern with the untucked shirt and cargo pants, his knowledge of GCA is superior to any other kid in his neighborhood.

He's also violating the logo count rule - I see "Roo's," "Osh-Kosh" and "Carter's" and I'd bet that hat has a Shorty's logo.
he's a little aussie, the t shirt is the wiggles :)

Anders Rytter

« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »
My picture for the contest. Had a few to choose from and picked this one (ineligible! new picture posted on page 6)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:34:15 PM by A Rytter »

Jim Tang

« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »
Here you go....

Brian Potash

« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:56:30 PM by Brian Potash »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »
Shazam!!!!  That is a pic.  Thanks for sharing Brian.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »
Here's my contribution...

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »

Ineligible, as I haven't taken any photos in 2011, but this thread has inspired me to work out how to add pictures here.
@Pure_Golf

George Freeman

« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »

Ineligible, as I haven't taken any photos in 2011, but this thread has inspired me to work out how to add pictures here.

Great pic Michael.  Where is it??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
Narin & Portnoo, Donegal.  Short par four, (maybe the 7th?) at about 7am.
@Pure_Golf

jeffwarne

« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:54 PM »
Narin & Portnoo, Donegal.  Short par four, (maybe the 7th?) at about 7am.

8th

nice picture
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  N&P is a special course - incredibly pure and there are great folk working there.  It's where my good mate grew up summer holidaying and so I'd heard plenty about the course and this particular morning was a soulful couple of hours of golf.
@Pure_Golf

Scott Warren

« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2011, 12:03:50 AM »
I'm partial to Ronald's (assuming he played them all and didn't just play Red and Black and grab the rest from the starter!).

Tim Martin

« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
I'm partial to Ronald's (assuming he played them all and didn't just play Red and Black and grab the rest from the starter!).

Scott-RoMo played em all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back