News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

A Teaser Photo...

About Victory Ranch - http://www.victoryranchclub.com/

A vast historic ranch that was untouched for decades, Victory Ranch Club is a community that understands the value of its pristine landscape and the river that graces it. Its 5,600 acres - almost 3,000 of which have been permanently protected from development - stretch from lush valleys to high desert plateaus that offer 20-mile views of the Wasatch and Uinta Mountains.

Victory Ranch also enjoys its close proximity to Park City, an eclectic mountain town that has gained world recognition as the host of the Sundance Film Festival and as a venue for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games. Whether you're seeking haute cuisine or just a night at the brew pub, Park City has what you need.

Course Information - http://www.victoryranchclub.com/golfinfo

Location: Victory Ranch Club is located 17 miles from the Park City resort area and Deer Valley. The Club is located just 45 minutes from Salt Lake City.

Phone: (435) 785-5030

Opened: 2009

Director of Golf: Steve Hupe, shupe@victoryranchclub.com
Superintendent: Justin Jeffery, justin@victoryranchclub.com
Architect: Rees Jones
Par: 72   

Black Tees: 7,599   74.9 / 133
Blue Tees: 7,153   73.0 / 129
White Tees: 6,726   71.2 / 125
Green Tees (M): 6181   68.9 / 123
Green Tees (W): 6181   74.3 / 131
Red Tees: 5422   70.2 / 123

Course Description: Located near award-winning ski resorts, local reservoirs and National Forests, Victory Ranch offers the best of Western living with wide open spaces, 360 degree mountain views, lush woodlands, coupled with outdoor adventure and luxurious amenities. In addition to the Provo River that runs through the property, the centerpiece to the Victory Ranch community is the spectacular 7,599-yard, 18-hole Rees Jones-designed Club at Victory Ranch..

Honored by Golfweek Magazine as one of the Top 10 Best New Courses in the Country, Victory Ranch features endless vistas from the high plateaus on the golf course where, at 7,000 feet, altitude golfers are treated with 20 mile views of the Wasatch and Uinta Mountains.

My Thoughts

1) No picture of the routing anywhere (if someone could find one please post it or send it to me to post).  Course routing is a modified figure 8 routing, with holes 2-4 playing away from the clubhouse and holes 5-8 playing back toward it.  Holes 10-12 make a triangle.  Holes 13-17 go back and forth up the side of the mountain, making for some really cool holes, that are also unwalkable.

2) I really enjoyed this golf course.  It may not be the kind of course that GCA.com likes, but I think it's the kind of course the general golfing public loves - lots of dramatic views and heroic shot opportunities.  It deserves a place on a top 100 you can play list without a doubt.

3) The greens have very bold internal contouring, generally in the form of tiering.  

4) I don't get the 'waves' in the fairway cuts.  I know runway fairway cuts are boring and ugly, but random waves (in my opinion) are worse.

Hole 1: Par 4, 440 Yards

A gentle, downhill opener (remember, Utah is at elevation so the ball travels farther).  If the wind is blowing, there is not a ton of width, but there's enough.  The fairway runs out at about 330 yards.  Oddly, the bunker guards the right side of the fairway, while the ideal approach is from the left.

Hole 2: Par 3, 184 Yards

When I saw the 2nd, I thought "oh no, this course is gonna suck."  A very typical par three with a green that plays diagonally over water.  There are some interesting waves at the edge of the green, something Rees used on several greens that adds interest and difficulty to the green.

Hole 3: Par 5, 530 Yards

Another OK hole.  Tee shot must be hit straight as bunkers flank both sides of the fairway.  The second shot will be blind if you hit it less than 240 yards.  The approach to the green calls for an aerial approach.

Hole 4: Par 4, 404 Yards

One last dull hole before the fun begins!  On the 4th tee you get a look at the amazingly dramatic 5th and can't help but wonder "hole sh*t, is that really a hole over there?!"

Though the hole is only 400 yards, it plays long as it is uphill and into the wind.  Anything missed to the right of the bunker will find a canyon (you ain't hitting out of there).  Most of the interest in this hole is found on the green.. unfortunately, the green's surface is blind from the fairway and only a player who has played the course before will know where he can miss on this green.

This picture shows the 4th green with increased contrast.  The hump on the left of the green is (obviously) gigantic! And running along the back edge of the green are two more waves.  They may appear small, but if your ball is where mine was, navigating them is a daunting task.

A look from behind shows how dead anything missed right is!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:35:02 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Andy Troeger

Great contrasting colors in the photos! Its a really beautiful area--I've played some of the other area courses but not this one. Not too inspired by the first four holes, but it sounds like it gets better from your comments!

Bill McKinley

Hmm... This course looks quite nice!  Especially from a photo perspective.  I'm looking forward to seeing the better holes
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

jeffwarne

Hmm... This course looks quite nice!  Especially from a photo perspective.  I'm looking forward to seeing the better holes

I'm looking forward to those as well....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:40:59 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim_Kennedy

Mark,
Looks likeable so far, although the holes themselves look somewhat detached from their surroundings.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Saltzman

Hole 5: Par 5, 630 Yards

Standing on the 4th tee and the whole time playing the 4th hole, it is hard not to look to the right and stare at the hole on top of the canyon.  The view of the 5th from the 4th looks like this:

...And from the 4th green one is treated with this view of the 5th green.  Rees did a very good job of 'previewing' a thrilling upcoming hole to assist in building the anticipation.

The tee shot is thrilling, with the back three sets of tees requiring a forced carry over the gorge to reach the fairway.  How much do you cut-off? It is very difficult to judge with no yardage guide and a significant wind (downwind, luckily).  I was fortunate I pulled my tee shot well left of my intended target over the bunker to find the middle of the fairway.  I am not sure the bunker is necessary.  Like I said, GCA.com may not like this type of hole, but most golfers will love it.

The second shot will be a layup for most.  Plenty of width, but anything well left or right will be reload territory.

The approach is bunkered predictably with bunkers short left and right.  Great view beyond, though.

Not the boldest contouring on the 5th green, just a ridge separating the small front portion of the green from the back.

Another really photogenic hole from behind.

Hole 6: Par 3, 235 Yards

I could not imagine playing this hole from 235 - fortunately, the tees were all moved up.  The blue tees I was playing were at about 180, which is were this picture is taken from.  Another thrilling shot over a gorge to a significantly contoured green.

Lynn_Shackelford

My my, that sand is white.  Why do that?  They deserved to go broke.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Joel Zuckerman

This is the best GC, and the most fun GC to be found in greater Park City.  Two comments, other than the obvious, which is I am enjoying this photo tour very much.

1--The GC is severely over-watered.  Its is actually damp in the fairway on many holes, your cart will occasionally send up rooster tails of spray.  As the scorecard shows it's massively long (7,500+ from the tips) so why be so damn wet?  Let it dry out and run a little..after all, it's a desert!

2--Speaking of carts:  I'd be more impressed with somebody who can shoulder the bag and complete 18 holes here in less than a hundred blows than I would be with someone shooting even par at The Ocean Course or Pine Valley in 20 mph winds.  There's a reason they use gasoline carts, not electric carts here, and the terrain here makes Ballyhack look as tame and mild a walking GC as Secession or Harbour Town.  So--Evan Fleisher, Craig Disher, and you other Billy Goat-types:---head to Utah sometime and show me what you got!

Mark Saltzman

Hole 7: Par 4, 465 Yards

After the excitement of 5 and 6, we're back to some less than inspired (and difficult) par-4s.  7 is the first of two dogleg lefts in a row.  This one plays uphill with bunkers on the inside of the dogleg and aiming bunkers on the outside of the dogleg.

The green is predictably bunkered and significantly contoured.

Hole 8: Par 4, 480 Yards

Like 7, this hole doglegs left, but plays downhill rather than uphill.  Again, bunkers guard both sides of the landing area.  Some players can probably fly the bunkers on the left, but most have no chance.

This may be the only green on the course with a runoff/chipping area.  While the bunkers left may be intimidating, missing right is much worse.

Hole 9: Par 4, 405 Yards

A very uphill hole with fairway bunkering that adds to the difficulty of the hole, but in way adds to its interest.

The most interesting part of the hole is the Engh-like ridge running through the middle of the green.  It is huge and being on the wrong side of it is really bad news.

jeffwarne

This is the best GC, and the most fun GC to be found in greater Park City.  Two comments, other than the obvious, which is I am enjoying this photo tour very much.

1--The GC is severely over-watered.  Its is actually damp in the fairway on many holes, your cart will occasionally send up rooster tails of spray.  As the scorecard shows it's massively long (7,500+ from the tips) so why be so damn wet?  Let it dry out and run a little..after all, it's a desert!

2--Speaking of carts:  I'd be more impressed with somebody who can shoulder the bag and complete 18 holes here in less than a hundred blows than I would be with someone shooting even par at The Ocean Course or Pine Valley in 20 mph winds.  There's a reason they use gasoline carts, not electric carts here, and the terrain here makes Ballyhack look as tame and mild a walking GC as Secession or Harbour Town.  So--Evan Fleisher, Craig Disher, and you other Billy Goat-types:---head to Utah sometime and show me what you got!

"The best GC and the most fun in geater Park City"

Do you mean the golf course is fun? or the people(or both)

I'd love to see some of that beautiful native flora (no not the formulaic "fescue-in-a-can") incorporated INTO a golf hole.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Greg Chambers

It's a shame that there was obviously no effort, whatsoever, to try to get the natives to tie into the course.  Other than the typical "native grass" seeding.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Peter Ferlicca

Mark,

I don't know if you have played Santaluz in San Diego, but this golf course looks exactly like Santaluz in a different location.  I would say that Park City is a prettier location from the photos, but the golf holes look almost identical. 

PThomas

Mark said 8 is the only hole with a chipping area:  I hate when that is the case/its so out of place then
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark Saltzman

Mark said 8 is the only hole with a chipping area:  I hate when that is the case/its so out of place then

Paul,

I'll have to look through my pictures to be sure, but at most there is one more hole with a chipping area (there might be one on 12, I can't remember).

I agree though, it was very out of place.  But, more than anything, it made me realize how boring the bunkering is on the other holes.

Andy Troeger

The aesthetics of the golf holes and the bunkering looks very similar also to Rees' 3 Creek Ranch in Jackson, WY. Its a different course because of the elevation changes and potentially fewer water features (so far at least), but the style looks very similar.

Mark,
Did you play anything else in the area? If so how would you rank the Park City courses?

Mark Saltzman

The aesthetics of the golf holes and the bunkering looks very similar also to Rees' 3 Creek Ranch in Jackson, WY. Its a different course because of the elevation changes and potentially fewer water features (so far at least), but the style looks very similar.

Mark,
Did you play anything else in the area? If so how would you rank the Park City courses?

Andy,

I much preferred Victory Ranch to 3 Creek.  I actually got bored playing 3 creek.  Victory Ranch has a few holes that are thrilling to play, even if they are not great architecture (5-6, and the entire stretch from 13-18).

Here's what I played during my stay in Utah (couple of Salt Lake courses):

1) Glenwild
2) Promontory - Canyons (Dye)
3) Victory Ranch
4) Salt Lake CC (a big surprise)

---- drop off here ----

5) Soldier Hollow - Gold
6) Promontory - Painted Valley (Nicklaus)

----- drop off here ---

T7) Thanksgiving Point
T7) Tuhaye
9) Willow Creek

Andy Troeger

Thanks Mark. I could see Victory Ranch being better--the terrain is enough for that. The views are great at both places, but it would appear that the views "change" more at Victory Ranch based on the ups and downs moving around the property. 3 Creek the only change is which mountain you happen to be facing in the distance. I don't really see the design at Victory Ranch being any more sophisticated so far, with the exception of #5. Hopefully the finishing stretch changes that.

Of the courses we've both played, the order is almost the same. I have Promontory Dye ahead of Glenwild by a nose, but its close either way. Promontory Nicklaus is a notch below with Willow Creek behind it.

Kalen Braley

Mark,

I've played 5 of those 9 courses you've listed and of the ones I've played I would probably order them exactly the same as well. Willow Creek is not more than a 3 on the Doak scale in my mind and I really wish the nationwide tour would play one of the much better offerings in the area.

I need to get back to Utah this summer and play Red Ledges, Glenwild, and Salt Lake CC if possible.  It would have been interesting to see how you would have rated South Mountain in Draper.  I put it in the same category as Thanksgiving Point and Soldier Hollow Gold.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 10: Par 4, 493 Yards

Very solid par-4.  Hole plays way downhill and fairway has tons of width.  Challenge the bunkers on the right side of the fairway for the preferred angle into the green.

Another tough green with a teeny back portion of the green with two swales protecting it -- awesome Sunday pin.

Hole 11: Par 4, 457 Yards

Even though there are bunkers on both sides of the fairway, there is some choice on the tee shot.  Tee shots long enough to reach the bunkers will crest the hill and have a view of the green.  Laying backs means added width but a blind approach.

Downhill approach is boring.  It appears as though long falls off the world, but it doesn't -- plenty of room to miss.

Green is WILD.  Not only does it tilt severely from back-to-front, but there is a huge hump on the right side of the green and a significant tier on the left (another good Sunday pin).

Hole 12: Par 5, 590 Yards

Sharp dogleg right.  Playing uphill and into the wind this hole can play very long.  Challenge the bunkers on the inside of the dogleg for the shortest second.

The second is difficult.  Bunkers all the way down the left and a single bunker on the right pinches the fairway around 100 yards out.

One of the tamest greens on the course and the second hole with a run-off, though I doubt this one ever comes into play.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 13: Par 4, 392 Yards

The tee shot is somewhat dull, but the second shot begins the thrill-ride that doesn't end until you putt-out on 18.  Tee shots up the left are ideal.

The approach is to an eternity green that looks like it drops off the edge of the world.  Unlike the green on the 11 where there was actually room long, here there is none.  Since the hole plays downwind, this is a daunting shot.  You can run it up the left side of the green if you placed your tee shot well, but if you have to carry the bunker on the approach, well, hopefully you can hit it high and soft.

From the next hole looking back at 13 green it is clear than anything over the green is dead!

Hole 14: Par 3, 170 Yards

GULP! This is a scary hole.  Though some may not like the hole because it is somewhat all-or-nothing, it is another heart-rate rising tee shot.  The green is quite large and slope significantly from left-to-right.  Miss it way right and it's lost.  A bit right and it's gobbled up by the Colt-esque U bunker, or the crazy-deep pot-looking bunker.  Or miss it left and hope you can keep your chip on the green.

Hole 15: Par 4, 407 Yards

OK, I lied, there is a bit of downtime before the thrilling finish.  The tee shot requires a carry back over the canyon (it's a short carry).  Oddly, the ideal line is away from the bunker as the ideal approach is from the right.

Another WILD green.  Those humps are absolutely huge.  You have a short-iron in your hand so shame on you if you miss on the wrong part of the green on the wrong side of those humps.

Another hole that looks better from behind.

Mark Saltzman

Hole 16: Par 5, 555 Yards

These last three holes are tons of fun.  16 plays straight downwind.  One is tempted to take it up the right to minimize distance into the green and have a shot to reach it in two. 

Hitting a second shot from the right edge of the fairway is SCARY.

Approach from the left is far more comfortable.

The approach to the skyline green

Tiny front portion of the green with a wide back portion.  Back-right pin is difficult to get to as you have to flirt with falling off the edge of the world.

Looking back.

View from over the green.

Some local wildlife  :)

Hole 17: Par 3, 242 Yards

There are tees everywhere on this hole, 13 by my count, from all different angles.

From the 260 yard back-back tee.

From the 220 yard tee.

View to the right of the green.

Some significant ridges define green portions.

Hole 18: Par 4, 520 Yards

From the 520 yard tee.

From the 475 yard tee.

Approach.

Jud_T

Mark,

I assume you played the Blacks... ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

Mark,

I assume you played the Blacks... ;)

Obviously.  I wanted to see the whole course.

Kalen Braley

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to post that up.  Brings back memories of living in Utah and the majesty of the mountains.

The course looks like an absolute cart ball course.  Is it walkable at all, or would it pretty much be non-feasible?

Mark Saltzman

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to post that up.  Brings back memories of living in Utah and the majesty of the mountains.

The course looks like an absolute cart ball course.  Is it walkable at all, or would it pretty much be non-feasible?

I think a real die-hard could do it, but I think walking would detract from the experience.  As of the day I played it, no one had walked the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back