News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stuart Goldstein

« on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
After lurking in the weeds for awhile Ran has graciously given me the opportunity to join the great folks here at GCA.  Thank you.

By way of further introduction I live in northern N.J. and have had the pleasure of playing most of the great course in the tri-state area-from Pine Valley down south to Friar's Head out east and most in between (as well as many courses around the country but sadly none in Scotland, Ireland etc.)  Some of my fondest golf memories are when I was living in NYC and putting my clubs on my back and taking the subway and train out to play Bethpage Black-25 some odd years ago-before it was "discovered."

I studied architecture at Syracuse University but am not a practicing architect.  I have a public relations firm with several clients in the golf industry.  I try to compete in local and regional golf tournaments when I can but work and 3 kids have cut that back.

Truly love the old mature courses of a Tillinghast or Ross yet appreciate the look, feel and spirit of C&C or Doak course as well.

Look forward to contributing, if one can consider that, to upcoming discussions.

Peter Pallotta

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »
Welcome, Stuart.

It sounds like you'll be a wonderful addition.

Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
Stuart,

Were you at Syracuse when the Lockerbie bombing occurred?  Are you surprised by the lack of compassion the golf industry has shown for this tragedy?

Michael George

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »

Welcome Stuart.  Glad to have you and I am sure you will enjoy the discussion.  Hope to see you at some gca outings next year.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »
Graduated before that.  Somehow golf and Syracuse never went together.  But Syracuse has it own issue to deal with now.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
Welcome Stuart!
H.P.S.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
Welcome!

What's the public transport ride from Manhattan to Bethpage like time- and hassle-wise? How far do you have to lug the clubs from the drop-off point to the course?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
John - what did the industry do "wrong" over Lockerbie?
Cave Nil Vino

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »
Welcome from another PR pro.

Welcome!
What's the public transport ride from Manhattan to Bethpage like time- and hassle-wise? How far do you have to lug the clubs from the drop-off point to the course?

For the 2009 US Open, I took the train from Penn Station to Bethpage.  An easy 50 minute ride.  Then 1.5 miles from the station to the clubhouse.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »

Stuart

Welcome to ' The Golf Nuts R Us' or GCA.com - we try and can be trying, but it all comes out in the burn (Swilken Burn) in the end.

Sent you a little e-mail welcome pack to help you see and perhaps try to understand Scottish golf - like the advert  'The Real Thing', yes Coke stole it but never mind.

Mad, no, well not when I joined, but could be going that way. - Again welcome and jump in the waters just right.

Melvyn 

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
While I have met/befriended several dozen people on this site after engaging with them (or at least hearing of them) in this forum, Stuart is the first person I actually know pre-GCA.com!

It's been years since we played, but he was a good stick back in the day.  His brother-in-law Andy, a very good pal of mine, summed it up nicely when my partner and I were taking an on-course beating one day from the two of them:  "Stuart's an easy 8," explained Andy, "and you're a hard 10!"

Stuart--speaking of Sandy Andy--call him, tell him to crowbar open his wallet, and join me in Utah this March!  Nobody's getting any younger, and there's no time like the present!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
Welcome, Stuart!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
John - what did the industry do "wrong" over Lockerbie?

The Lockerbie bomber was released by Scotland in August of 2009, the Open was held at St. Andrews in July of 2010.  The golf industry turned a deaf ear on those who called for any sort of protest connected to this vile atrocity of justice.  35 of the passengers were students from Syracuse University returning home for Christmas following a semester as exchange students in London.  A few people gave Scotland the benefit of the doubt and said not to worry because the terrorist would die of natural causes far before the Open.  He is still alive today.

I personally have boycotted all Scottish products and vowed to never set foot upon their soil in response to their lack of compassion for the families who lost loved ones.  I miss Scotch but find comfort in Kentucky Bourbon.  I had never visited Scotland before and will be fine otherwise.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »
John

What a way to welcome a new Members, but then that you all over.

Tell us all why did you leave GCa.com before??????  I thought that of all people you would have learnt from the old saying ‘Those without sin cast the first stone’. Also you seem to have forgotten the evil Germans your people whisked away from Germany after the war stopping them getting justice because they promised you aid to produce WMD. What about your CIA assisting Libya who were then supplying the terrorist in Ireland against the UK.

So you have given up all things Scottish, but not GOLF that’s Scottish - God John you are just full of it.

After this crap you have just posted about all things Scottish, what about the Scottish lads that have died in your wars, you know the ones, the Bush wars, won all the battles but lost the war. Our guys died as well, helping you, but of course that does not count.

The likes of you are not welcome in Scotland due to your little closed minds.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:18:18 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
Stuart, welcome!

Have you played outside the US yet?

@Pure_Golf

Michael Underwood

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »
Welcome to the fun!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 09:42:36 PM »
Call me callous and/or superficial, but I must admit a part of me enjoys the personality car crashes that add a certain "flavor" to this site!

But this is a first for me in my semi-casual monitoring of the DG over the last 3-4 years--a political pissing match breaks out within the first dozen posts in of all things...a new member introduction!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »
Joel...

Check out Mark Saltzman's introduction.  He was called a douche within the first few posts.  We are quite the welcome wagon around here, aren't we?

Stuart, welcome!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »
Giving up Scotch and golfing in Scotland is far more than a pissing match.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »
But you've never played golf in Scotland, so you didn't give it up.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:52:57 PM by Mac Plumart »

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Welcome aboard. Now please go run and hide, take up a new life adventure. These people are certifiable on a good day. You don't want to read what happens on bad days. Some guy named Mucci is a riot to follow. The Unagolfer on steroids!! :o

Great site however you can learn alot and see some great pics of courses worldwide. A great deal of the input for our area is well thought out.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
But you've never played golf in Scotland, so you didn't give it up.

Shame on you, Mac.

You should be aware that I gave up sleeping with multiple Supermodels at a time the day I met my now-wife. I've also given up my pursuit of quietly thinking about taking up sky diving. I've boycotted being a center for the Red Wings. And when I was 18, I decided to give up my 6 pack abs for good.

:)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »
Amateur!!  I gave up dominating the blue line like Bobby Orr years ago, before it was even fashionable.  And achievements like financial success and security, please -- I let those go in the mid 80s for goodness sakes.   Sure, super-models -- who hasn't said "no" to a hundred of them?! And re golf and golf course architecture -- when every poster and his brother was writing me IMs with the words "super genius" and "prodigy" in them, I had to say "enough is enough"!. Well, anyway, I don't expect any of you to understand, but it needed to be said.

Peter

David - funny stuff!!  Thinking about sky diving....good one!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »
John K:

If you'd ever BEEN to Scotland you would know that they often disagree with what the Parliament down south decides to do.  There's a lot of history behind that, and as Casey Stengel once said, you could look it up.

Stuart:

Welcome aboard!  In the interest of full disclosure, who are your clients in the golf business?  That would save us all a month of figuring out where your biases lie.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:04:07 PM by Tom_Doak »

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
Welcome Stuart!  It sounds like you have experinced some great golf courses.  If you do not mind my asking, what are a few of your favorites (and why)?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back