News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: To whom did Pete Dye refer when he stated the following?
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
I'll go with a bone to Jack, who might have been questioned about his archie chops going into the Hilton Head project.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ben Sims

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 12:50:19 AM »
Bill Coore

JC Jones

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 06:22:32 AM »
Ran's M.O. Of posting threads and never posting on them again is generally not an issue.  This would be the exception.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »
Ran?  :)
H.P.S.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
The answer? Jay Morrish!

Didn't see that one coming did you? Nor did I! Obviously, this is a man with lots to offer and it would be great to find out more about him. I tried emailing him through his web site but it is too convoluted and won't let me.  :(

So ... who knows what about Jay Morrish? The general knowledge stuff of working for Nicklaus and then Weiskopf is a given but who can add color beyond that?

Cheers,

Ross Harmon

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »
Yeah, didn't see that one coming Ran....

When did Pete say that? Any more context you can share?

kurt bowman

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »
Jay was long gone well before my time with ND. If my memory serves me correct he worked for Desmond Muirhead with whom JN had worked on several golf courses with. I believe Jay came to work with JN when he started ND as his first design associate followed by Bob Cupp. Kurt

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »
Ran:

Many moons ago -- actually, I think it was 25 years ago -- I did an interview for GOLF Magazine with Jay Morrish and Tom Weiskopf, separately.

Jay actually started in the business at Spyglass Hill, on the construction site, in 1964 or 65.  Can't remember now for sure, but I believe he worked on a couple of other projects for Mr. Jones, before he started with Desmond Muirhead ... he told some great stories about Mr. Muirhead.  And then Jack Nicklaus asked him to come aboard after they worked together on Muirfield Village.

I learned a lot about the business from talking to Jay that one afternoon.  Somewhere along the way, it dawned on me that he was 49 years old, he had been working in the business for 25 years, and he was one of the sharpest people in the business, and golfers were just starting to know who he was!  It was a real wake-up call for me, but also a bit of a push to get out there and make sure I didn't have to wait until I was 50 to get a job of my own.

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
So with all that knowledge, why was he overlooked by everyone (except Pete)?

-----

I'm with PP, I loved watching Georgetown during the Ewing years. That press was unbelievable. Fred Brown's errant pass killed me, even though I was already a huge Jordan fan.

Also, the interview Bobby Knight did with Playboy - yep, I actually read it - is one of the most illuminating interviews I've ever read. It shows all sides of him - genius, gentleman and crazy a-hole. I strongly recommend anyone interested in him read it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ron Farris

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
I think Pete was referring to his sidekick dog!  You choose which dog.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »
I think Pete was referring to his sidekick dog!  You choose which dog.

Sunday!

To this day, when I visualize Pete Dye, I see him driving up on an old Cushman with Sunday sitting on the bench seat next to him.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
I played Broken Top in Bend, Oregon about ten years ago and really enjoyed the creative layout in an old quarry site.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
Ran:

Many moons ago -- actually, I think it was 25 years ago -- I did an interview for GOLF Magazine with Jay Morrish and Tom Weiskopf, separately.

Jay actually started in the business at Spyglass Hill, on the construction site, in 1964 or 65.  Can't remember now for sure, but I believe he worked on a couple of other projects for Mr. Jones, before he started with Desmond Muirhead ... he told some great stories about Mr. Muirhead.  And then Jack Nicklaus asked him to come aboard after they worked together on Muirfield Village.

I learned a lot about the business from talking to Jay that one afternoon.  Somewhere along the way, it dawned on me that he was 49 years old, he had been working in the business for 25 years, and he was one of the sharpest people in the business, and golfers were just starting to know who he was!  It was a real wake-up call for me, but also a bit of a push to get out there and make sure I didn't have to wait until I was 50 to get a job of my own.

Okay, so I at least get an honorable mention for guessing Desmond Muirhead. Think how much DM must have forgotten by the time he passed the rest on to Morrish.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jay Flemma

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
The answer? Jay Morrish!

Didn't see that one coming did you? Nor did I! Obviously, this is a man with lots to offer and it would be great to find out more about him. I tried emailing him through his web site but it is too convoluted and won't let me.  :(

So ... who knows what about Jay Morrish? The general knowledge stuff of working for Nicklaus and then Weiskopf is a given but who can add color beyond that?

Cheers,

Well it's hard not to enjoy your day at the Boulders South Course...:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ian Andrew

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
A few years ago I supplied a list of everything a new associate of the ASGCA needs to know. It explains all the things that you should know to help you out at your first meeting. The final item I wrote was, “Find Jay Morrish - he’ll be at the bar - buy him at least one drink on the condition he tells you a story about his work”

Every year I seek Jay out - with a scotch in hand - to ask about a particular project he worked on. He has talked about Spyglass Hill, Muirfield Village and Glen Abbey. One of the joys of Jay is he pulls no punches and tells it how it is. His comments on Tom can be hilarious.

I’ve also had a couple of lunches with him away from meetings too.

One memorable story involved a particular round at Jupiter Hills with Tom Fazio. Jay and Bob were working for Jack and Tom for his uncle. They spent the round talking about how to make the course better. Jay said at the end he realized they both selected the opposite side of the hole on almost every occasion.

My favourite involves Jack and a remote control helicopter. That’s worth a scotch at the bar ….

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back