News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael George

Re: New Member
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »
Tom:

I don't need any instruction on history and world government and I will not be as arrogant as you to assume that I know more than others on this string with regard to these general topics.  However, with regard to the 2 single points that I made:

1.  The bonds held by banks are just one reason for the bailout.  I would argue that maintaining a stable Europe for political and economic reasons is a much higher priority.  Also, with the American taxpayer paying much of this bill, I don't need to hear how the US does not do anything for other countries and deserves to be hated around the world.

2.  Please point to one historian that believes that the European countries would have won WWII without American support.  When the US got involved is insignificant.  Germany would have invaded and likely taken over the UK without US involvement.  

Listen, I think that you incorrectly interpreted my response that I am some kind of general American apologist.  I know that the US has its own problems and that some of our foreign policy is misguided.  However, I do believe that it still does much, much more good in this world than bad.

If you feel differently, that is a shame.  I am done with this thread. 

Stuart - please refer to my first post where I simply welcomed you to the site.  Wish we would get back to doing simple "welcomes".  I apologize for my small involvement in this.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:53:18 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mac Plumart

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
I'm a fan of Melvyn's (and of JK for that matter), and so I just have accept this, i.e.:

Anyone remember the Monty Python skit "The Four Yorkshire Men"? After one of the guys, in one-upping the others about their poor upbringings, says: "There were 150 of us living in a shoe box at the bottom of the lake. Every morning, before breakfast, we had to wake up and lick the lake clean with our tongues, and then go off to work in the mines -- for no pay, mind you, we had to pay the mine owner for the right to work"...well, Melvyn would be the guy who responds: "Luxury!"  And then JK would be the guy who says: "If it was so bad, why didn't you just leave? There's nothing worse than an architect who thinks Scottish golf won't survive without him".

That's just the way it is....

Peter
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:16:40 PM by PPallotta »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »

Michael

Sorry you clearly do not know your history. The UK survived alone and stopped the Germans invading. The invasion was called off in 41. Germany invades Russia on the 22 June 1942, thus killing off any invasion of the UK. Seems the UK & the Colonies survived the worst and weathered the storm. No longer any chance of an invasion due to the massive commitment to their German/Russian war

USA declares war on Japan 8 Dec 41, 11th Dec  war declared on America by Germany and Italy. 

Could we win alone, well we had Russia fighting before you thought of joining, anyway who knows but yes your entry did speed up the ending of the war.

As for Europe, let’s hope we get out of the EU and kill the Euro, it’s been nearly as toxic as the main banking debts.

Let’s get back to Golf, you know that Scottish game that has invaded many countries around the world.

Melvyn     

Sam Morrow

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
Guys, stop measuring pencil pricks and welcome Stuart.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
Stuart,
a hearty welcome from this, ehm, Scot.
With a name like yours I just bet you've studied the history of James I/VI and Mary, Queen of Scots... ;)
Sláinte!
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Young

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »
Stuart,
Welcome...
And don't take this stuff seriously...some of us like to agitate and some of the Scots don't understand ....nothing a few golf carts would not fix...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ken Fry

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
Stuart,

Welcome to gca.  I'm a little late but had to temper my response on the previous tone of this thread.

I'm also a Syracuse grad.  It's nice to see another Orangeman in the crowd.  Unfortunately, I was at SU when the Lockerbie bombing happened.  I had friends on the plane.  It was horrible to have terrorism hit so close to home only to be outdone years later by the World Trade Centers.  Many forget 11 residents of Lockerbie were also killed when the plane reached ground.  We all lost that day.  When friends have returned to Lockerbie, they have been warmly welcomed by the community who hold an unfortunate bond by the tragedy.

What the Scottish Parliament did was despicable, but like many of the decisions made in Washington, doesn't reflect the opinion of many of the residents of Scotland.  One of my life goals is to someday travel to Scotland to tour the country and play golf.  One stop that's already planned is to Lockerbie.

Ken

Bart Bradley

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
Stuart:

Welcome to the your new home.  I see you already visited the insane assylum and the met the town drunk.

Enjoy the website.

Bart

Mac Plumart

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
Stuart,

Welcome to gca.  I'm a little late but had to temper my response on the previous tone of this thread.

I'm also a Syracuse grad.  It's nice to see another Orangeman in the crowd.  Unfortunately, I was at SU when the Lockerbie bombing happened.  I had friends on the plane.  It was horrible to have terrorism hit so close to home only to be outdone years later by the World Trade Centers.  Many forget 11 residents of Lockerbie were also killed when the plane reached ground.  We all lost that day.  When friends have returned to Lockerbie, they have been warmly welcomed by the community who hold an unfortunate bond by the tragedy.

What the Scottish Parliament did was despicable, but like many of the decisions made in Washington, doesn't reflect the opinion of many of the residents of Scotland.  One of my life goals is to someday travel to Scotland to tour the country and play golf.  One stop that's already planned is to Lockerbie.

Ken

Ken, I am sorry for your loss and that was a great/touching post.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »
Welcome threads are the new Merion threads.

These things are more explosive than a Michael Bay movie.  

Stuart:

Have you played golf in Nebraska?

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mac Plumart

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »

Stuart:

Sven

Nebraska?  Did someone say Nebraska?  Let me tell you about this club I go to out there, it is called...   ;)

Sven, Sven, Sven...you rascal!   ;)

Chris Johnston

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

Stuart:

Sven

Nebraska?  Did someone say Nebraska?  Let me tell you about this club I go to out there, it is called...   ;)

Sven, Sven, Sven...you rascal!   ;)

No Comment (laughing)

It's a darned fine place, Mac! 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:48:47 PM by Chris Johnston »

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
Thank you all for the warm and gracious welcome.

Actually just came back from taking my daughter to a Syracuse/Florida basketball game and tour of the school and this past week  was Rememberance Week in honor or those who were killed in Lockerbie,  ribbons wrapped around trees etc.  Was shocked, totally shocked, that there was no mention of golf in any of the proceedings.  

Joel-saw Andy last week.  Sounds like Crestview is being sold.  Back to GCA-Crestview CC is nice Geoffrey Cornish design that was the past home of the LPGA Friendly's Classic.  Joel knows the club much more intimately than I do but seems like it is being sold on the cheap.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »
Stuart,

The Scots are renowned for their welcoming approach to strangers and newcomers but somehow their history has rather landed you in an almighty bog this time around. However from a perfervid, expatriate Scot now resident in Australia here is a hearty welcome.

Dinna fash yersel!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »
Welcome Stuart!  It sounds like you have experinced some great golf courses.  If you do not mind my asking, what are a few of your favorites (and why)?

New Jersey gets a bad rap for many things but for GCA the state should be right near the top of anyone's list.  So to start out, my favorite NJ courses that I have played are (rest of the MGA courses later):

1. Pine Valley
2. Plainfied
3. Essex County
4 .Ridgewood
5. Hollywood

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
Stuart,

I was hoping that you might tell me what you like so much about Plainfield.  I have not played it but am intrigued, as another GCAer told me that he thinks it is a world class course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back