News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Wright

Big Island, Hawaii golf
« on: December 29, 2001, 08:11:37 AM »
Since we're into course recommendations on Maui, I'm taking the family on vacation to the Big Island of Hawaii in February.  Other than Mauna Kea which seems to be in all the Top 100 lists, I'd like a feel of how everything else stacks up.  Has anyone played Nicklaus' course, Hualalai, at the Four Seasons?  Any other suggestions?  I'm going to try to play 4-5 rounds over 10 days.  Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul Richards

Re: Big Island, Hawaii golf
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2001, 08:35:10 AM »
Bill:

Mauna Kea is awesome. ;D

My three favorite Hawaii courses are Mauna Kea, Princeville
Prince, and Kapalua Plantation. :)

Mauna Lani, both courses, have pretty scenery, but are
not great golf courses.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

David Wigler

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2001, 07:59:50 AM »
I am going to make my first trek to Hawaii this year as well and have 6 days on the big Island and three on Lanai.  Mauna Kea is a no brainer.  Where else?
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

BillV

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2001, 08:12:36 AM »
Dave

Let us know if you were able to get on Hulaluai without staying at the Four Seasons. (Nicklaus, you know....) , built since I've been there.

Waikoloa Kings is a very small-greened resort course by Weiskopf. 3-4 maybe.

Most of the Big Island golf I played was pure resort (3 or less)and Mauna Kea (5-6) didn't ring my bell, in fact it felt a lot like Billy Bell.

Hapuna Springs has the best scenery and is passable but carts are mandatory otherwise it would take about 7 hours to walk.

ed getka

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2001, 08:19:08 AM »
The resort courses are expensive so don't plan on seeing too many of them in one trip unless you are independently wealthy. I have played the courses at the Hilton Waikoloa. The Kings course by Weiskopf/Morrish is pretty good, generous landing areas off the tee, then more demanding of approach shots. The other course I forget the name of since I only played it once and the only memorable feature was the "kitty litter" or whatever it is they put in the bunkers there. We did go up to the rainy side of the island and played Waimea CC, which is open to the public, and had a good time. The architecture and routing are fair, but its uncrowded and the green fee was around $40 if memory serves. Have fun. :)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2001, 03:34:26 PM »
Waikoloa Kings looked pretty interesting I walked around but did not get a chance to play.

Enjoyed Mauna Lani for the dramatic scenerey, but as mentioned you cant afford to play many of these courses.  

The one I heard some things about but didnt get a chance to see was Volcanoes GC.  Supposed to be a affordable course built right near volcanoes national park.  Sounds like a unique setting.  Has anyone ever played it.  Is it a decent course.  I would love to hear comments.

Unfortunately I only got to play twice during my five days on the big island.  I figured since it was my honeymoon, I should try to keep it respectable.

Turboe
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2001, 06:10:54 PM »
Thanks for all these great tips, guys...keep 'em coming!!!

We are currently in the process of planning our latest return trip to Hawaii (next January...that's 01/2003 to be exact), and will be doing a 6-night stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island, then a 3-night stay at the Marriott Ihilani resort on Oahu's SE coast tacked on to that.

I plan on playing two rounds on the Big Island and one on Oahu.  Gotta make sure I "maximize" my playing opportunities while there.  Sounds like maybe Mauna Kea and one of the Mauna Lani courses might be my "best bet" for the Big Island???  Then I just need a decent course on Oahu (near where we are staying), and I'm golden, eh?!?!?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2001, 08:09:55 PM »
Mauna Kea is OK, but I felt it to be overrated like Bill.  I played Makalei Hawaii on the big island and it wasn't too special either except for gorgeous views 2-3K feet up the mountain.  The course has 900 feet of elevation change!  I also heard Volcanoes was supposed to be a hidden gem, though I didn't play there, I ate in the restaurant during our "volcano exploration" day.

Evan,
    On Oahu, play Koolau, the former "hardest course in the world" with  162 slope from the tips.  I say "former" because it supposedly has been softened somewhat.  It's still spectacularly gorgeous to play under the beautiful cliffs above.  Keep it in play.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2001, 08:11:12 PM »
Curses, my bad punctuation.  I meant the course was overrated, not Bill  ;)

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2001, 04:15:01 AM »
Scott:

Why do you feel Mauna Kea is overrated? :'(

You mentioned Ko'olau on Oahu.  Talk about scenery!  It
felt like we were playing in Jurassic Park, or, better yet,
like in the action/jungle scenes from the original King Kong
movie where King Kong rips apart the jaws of the Tyrannosaurus Rex! :o

The golf course was obviously very, very tough, but it was
enjoyable to play a course you know you'd be lucky to come
within 10 strokes of your handicap! ::)

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2001, 04:18:41 AM »
One other note on Ko'olau:  during the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese flew through the valley above where this course
is located. :'(  

This scene is in Pearl Harbor and it brings back memories of
the views from the course. ;D

Also, there is an ancient Hawaiian birthing stone
near one of the tees.  Hawaiian women were apparently forced
to leave the village to come to this birthing stone to have their children. Kind of strange to make the pregnant lady trudge up a hill before the birth... ???

We were lucky enough to be joined during the round by a really nice Hawaiian State Trooper who gave us a grand tour
of the place and really added to the enjoyment of our round! :)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2001, 06:33:17 AM »
Scott & Paul,

Thanks for the tip Re: Ko'olau.  But...I have actually played there already!  ;D  We were just on Oahu this past January, and I had the great fortune to play at Ko'olau as well as Mid-Pacific Country Club (in Kailua, near Ko'olau...great course) and the Links at Kuilima (not really worth the time, but we were staying at the Hilton Turtle Bay).

Ko'olau was indeed a treat, even though the golf that day was far less than stellar.  Fantastic views, and a crazy golf course with TONS of forced carries and jungle to negotiate.  Too bad the greens were in such poor shape, but I've heard that is a constant problem there.

On Oahu, I am hoping to get in a "new" round somewhere on the South or Sothwest side near the Marriott hotel we are staying at.  Supposedly, the Ko'olina (sp?) course there is not all that bad...anyone have any expereinces there, or maybe at another course nearby?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

mps

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2001, 10:23:27 AM »
David - on Lanai you'll love the Challenge at Manele Bay & you can skip the Experience at Koele.  Since you are there for 3 days you might look into a quick trip next door to Maui to play Kapalua Plantation (Plantation & Challenge are both better than Mauna Kea & MK is the best of the Big Island).

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2002, 09:26:44 PM »
Paul,
    Other than #3 (back left pin position would be nasty!), #11, the blind tee shot on #9, and maybe the sun setting over the ocean while finishing on #18, nothing else really sticks out in my mind.  Granted, when I played it a few years ago, my architecture fire wasn't nearly as warm as it is now,  but I think that speaks even more, since it didn't stick out that much to me then, when it didn't mean as much, the great views didn't even do it for me.

A lot of the courses I've played in the past would probably have different impressions with me now that I'm "pickier".

David Wigler

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2002, 05:31:30 AM »
MPS,

Thanks for the tip.  I forget that they are only a quick trip apart.  I think Gib would slap me if I finally got to Hawaii and skipped Kapalua.

It sounds like the choices are Mauna Kea, Hulaluai (Bill - I am staying at the Hilton Waikoloa, so I'll tell you if I can pull it off) and the Kings Course while on the Big Island and to skip Experience at Koele for a day trip to Maui.  Now if I can pull of five rounds of golf in nine days, I am nominating my wife for sainthood.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

BillV

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2002, 05:05:23 PM »
David

Hell, it is Hawaii fer chrissake!  Even if the golf is so-so, it's still Hawaii in January!  I'll be curious to hear your take on Mauna Kea and Kings.  But at least the Big Island scenery is great at Hapuna if you don't get blown off your cart!
Have a great trip, I'm jealous as hell.  

If you go to the Mauna Lani Hotel and the outrigger restaurant, get the Ono Fingers off the kids menu!  It's the best food deal on the island.  The pieces of sashimi at the Japanese restaurant at the Waikoloa Hilton are obscenely large!  (Take it from the sushi whore!-me.  I must have eaten $40 worth of sushi at Kimono's at WDW in November the day before we left.  Yum!  Sushi doesn't get any better than Hawaii.)

David Wigler

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2002, 05:48:13 AM »
Bill,

I had no idea you were a Sushi Whore.  We will have to make an excursion while we are in Charleston this fall.  Nothing ends a great round of golf better than a Spider Roll and a Sapporo.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

BillV

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2002, 06:08:36 AM »
Domo arigata gozai mashata!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back