News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dieter Jones

Apologies if this has has been posted here before.Tasmanian born Pro Matt Goggin has long harboured desires to build a golf course on a peninsula of land just west of Hobart Airport in Tasmania. The spectacular golfing land is only 20 minutes drive from the city. The site has water on 3 sides although the best gofing land is closer to say a british heather style than dunes style (perhaps a hybrid of the 2).

Today marked the official launch of his foundations attempts to make that dream a reality.   The Tasmanian Government are keen to build on the success of Barnbougle  / lost farm and the tourism dollars it brings to the state. Their hope is that building 1 or possibly more great golf courses in the south of the state will see visitors spend more time in the state as they have reason to travel to both the North and South.

At this stage The Goggin Foundation has been given permission and a two year time limit to develop a Master Plan for the area. It will be their responsibility to obtain all planning permissions and appease all stakeholders such as local residents, conservationists etc. At the end of the 2 years (or earlier) if they have everything approved then negotiations for purchase of the land from the government will occur.

Mike Clayton  and Geoff Ogilvy were on site today for the launch and seem genuinely excited about just how good the site is. The site has previously been used and abused including some sand mining and Radiata Pine plantations (which still dominate large parts of the area but must be due for harvest soon). Other than that the area is currently used for recreation activities such as horse riding and dog walking.
Mike Clayton believes that it is eminantly possible that Tasmania could have 4 of the top 6 or 7 courses in Australia should the project proceed making the tiny State a true worldwide golfing Mecca.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Dieter Jones

Re: A Southern Sister for Barnbougle -Goggin, Clayton and Ogilvy involved
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:45:08 AM »
I will try to post a link to the bastion of fine journalism that is the Hobart Mercury Newspaper:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/11/27/279941_sport-news.html
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:05 AM »

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
Dieter,

This is the site touted on the website http://australiasnextgreatgolfcourse.com/?

There used to be a few pics on that site, but they aren't appearing on my phone now.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »
Great minds, KP!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Scott

Indeed  ;D

There's a number of photos here on King Island golf course - Tassie might become the golfing Mecca in Australia ?

http://www.golfphotos.com.au/FindaCourse/CourseView/tabid/92/Default.aspx?id=1146&qx=King+Island+Golf+Club

Dieter Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »
HI Kev, yep that sure looks like it. I've only been about 2 or 3 Km's up the peninsula so far so I haven't actually seen the part they seem to be looking at which is getting out towards the Eastern end. Many, Many golf tragics have been eyeing off this land for a long time.

Brian, look at the link Kevin posted. There are lots of images in that lot which are of the furthest tip of the land. That is where the  dunes are but it is unlikely that they will go into those. It would be a sensitive point with the locals keeping the dunes untouched and the land is quite choppy. You can get a decent look at the dunes from across the water in a place called Lewisham.
I think the 4th and 6th and 8th photo's in that slide show probably give the best idea of what they like the look of. That is guessing though as I haven't set aside the couple of hours to walk up there and back yet.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
Hi Scott, I was confident re King Island too until I heard who was designing it

Dieter Jones

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
woops my bad, I didn;t open the link ans thought you were refering to the new one about to start on King Island

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »
Dieter

That's great news for Mike and co. some of that land looks jaw dropping.

It will be interesting re: the sustainability of the new golf courses developments down your way.

Brian

Me thinks they are perhaps before photos ?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »
I will try to post a link to the bastion of fine journalism that is the Hobart Mercury Newspaper:
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/11/27/279941_sport-news.html

From that article:
"We believe we can build a championship course at Seven Mile Beach that could be rated in the top five courses in Australia from day one," Mr Clayton said.

I believe that would be a course worth seeing!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
Did Michael really use the phrase "championship course" ??

Hasn't he pilloried that same phrase when used by others ?

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
The comments on the newspaper's web site are of a much higher quality than I typically see in the US.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Am I a knucklehead for thinking that picture from the air looks like Waterville?  The more the merrier in terms of great golf making it a destination trip IMO.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris Kane

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
Link?

Mark_F

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
Link?

"We believe we can build a championship course at Seven Mile Beach that could be rated in the top five courses in Australia from day one," Mr Clayton said."

Chris Kane

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
Mark, I was asking for a link where he pilloried the phrase.

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
Brian,

There is an existing nine-hole "village" course on King Island, largely maintained by volunteers.

The new planned course is additional and separate to that.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
I've been doing some googling, including aerial and street view looks around Hobart.  I did some when this subject was on an earlier thread.  Interesting demographics and geography...  With ~215K population, and I counted at least 6 golf courses, they probably could support one or two more, considering it appears to be a generally all year golf playable area.  Wiki cites that Hobart sees about 40 port calls of cruise ships as well.  One would think they may get some activity and maybe stimulate even more port calls by cruise ships with a world class golf course, offering golf and dine shore leaves.  

But, what would give me pause if I were in the development biz, is the very reasonable price of full year membership they get at Royal Hobart ( a long history-relocated, Vern Morcum design) which looks like a pretty nice track, with upgrade potential.  Then there is a intriguing sporty looking Llamherne course that is a dual fairway to 9 large greens designed by a fellow, one P. Toogoood.  (the name flows)  ;) ;D  We have a similar course designed in similar manner (dual greens and extra large fairway corridor with multiple tees so you go around twice and not play the same course for 18 hole corridors) and wait for it.....  

It is in a suburb community of Green Bay called HOBART!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Take a look!  

http://llanhernegolfclub.org.au/thecourse/thecourse.htm

Hobart TAZ:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=-42.845057,147.507505&spn=0.010494,0.026157&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=16

Hobart Wisconsin;
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rds9vb7nmt2s&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

http://golfthornberry.com/

But back to the question of this new course, the land and location looks spectacular.  It sounds like OZ is a better place to do econ development these days, so good luck.  I'd love to visit there someday.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:26:35 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
Hi Scott, I was confident re King Island too until I heard who was designing it
No offence taken mate....(much).

The existing nine holer at King Island is totally run by volunteers and its a little ripper.
Our site is way up the northern tip near Cape Wickham.

I've also seen some awesome pics of a site from the Mogford and Crafter team....Tassie is a happnin place for golf it seems.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 03:43:31 AM »
Richard, I look forward to you proving me worng and depositing large amounts of egg on my face.

Of course that would also mean I would have to try and convince my wife to get on a very small plane (anything under 120 seats is small in her terminology) to go and see it.

Let's just say that one of your groups work is not my cup of "T".

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:32 AM »
Tom,

You will be happy to know I didn't mention Championship Course at any point.  Don't believe anything that begins of ends with 'Mr Clayton said'!!

It is amazing land and Geoff was keen to talk about building one of the courses at 6400 yards - not surprising given Swinley Forest is one of his favourites.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Mike, when all is settled (hopefully) and the course(s) goes in - what grass do you think you would use?

Will there be issues if you use Fescue with the frost and ice in winter. The site is at the very end of the coal River valley (Like Royal Hobart) and the temperature is definitely hotter in Summer and colder in winter than Hobart city. For instance it is very rare for the overnight minimum to get below 5 degrees celcius in Hobart but at Seven mile Beach I would say that I start at least 7 or 8 morning rounds a year in temperatures of zero or even minus 1 (and that is only playing once or twice a week). IT generally warms up by 9.00am or 10.00am but by then a dozen groups or more should have gone off.

I know that I have been kept off the course at Barnbougle when a heavy frost settled, to protect the grass. How hardy is Fescue in those extreme's?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
Congratulations Richard on the gig at King Island  - look forward to seeing what you do down there.

Warwick Loton

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
It is amazing land and Geoff was keen to talk about building one of the courses at 6400 yards

Mike,

Fantastic news. (Thanks to Dieter for letting us know about it.)

Are you indicating there be more than one course developed there? The Hobart Mercury article referred to the site being 300 hectare (750 acre) in area.

Also, are you able to tell us more about the site?
In particular,
- Will you be permitted to route holes through dunes or near the shore?
- Is the soil and drainage better than at neighbouring Tasmania GC & Royal Hobart GC?

For those of you who haven't had the privilege, the area is spectacularly beautiful, and Tasmania GC (also surrounded by water on 3 sides) is visually stunning. Anyone able to post pics of that layout?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:05:30 AM by Warwick Loton »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back