News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Pozaric

Yale as Target Golf?
« on: January 02, 2002, 07:55:11 PM »
I had the opportunity to interview an aspiring law student today, who, in her undergrad career, played on the Yale golf squad.  Being very interested to delve into her thoughts on the course (and forgetting the typical interview questions like "if you were a tree, what kind would you be?" :D ), I asked her about her thoughts on the architectural merits of Yale.  All was well until she said it was "target" golf.  

As a neophytic architecture aficianado, that puzzled me a bit, because usually I associate target golf with desert golf.  Upon reflection, though, when I thought about her explanation about needing to hit shots in the correct location to have the best reward, I thought maybe that could be considered another way to describe strategy (of course, the penalties, I would think, at a course like Yale might be much less severe than missing the target at a desert course and ending up in the junk).  

Any thoughts and/or comment on Yale as target golf.

Steve

by the way, I figure anyone that played golf in college deserved a good rating (especially if she could somehow end up on my team for the firm golf outing!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Steve Pozaric

Tim_Weiman

Re: Yale as Target Golf?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2002, 09:01:36 PM »
Stevepoz:

I would have probably never used the term "target golf" in regards to Yale, but my recollection of the course is that quite often you you need to be very precise with where you hit shots.  Maybe that's target golf.

Go ahead and hire this gal.  At least she doesn't stick with conventional thinking.
Tim Weiman

Rich_Goodale

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 06:54:30 AM »
Stevepoz

The term "target golf" was created by GBI observers to differentiate (disparage?) American golf from its links antecedents.

These days, even the most dyed-in-the-wool fanatics across the pond understand that ALL golf is target golf.  It's just that the targets on some courses are more varied and less obvious than on some others.  Excellent golf courses (such as Yale) require more skill in identifying and hitting targets than do simpler layouts.

Hire that woman!

BillV

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 06:58:45 AM »
All strategic golf is target golf.

All target golf is not strategic.  Some of it is penal.

Another vote to hire this broad.  Is she a blonde, brunette or redhead? :D

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2002, 07:14:50 AM »
Stevepoz:

Now that the early returns are in, I will confess to be somewhat jealous.  I've never had the opportunity to interview a young lady who could offer commentary on golf architecture.

With your question, however, I'm wondering if she might have been safer discussing religon or politics????
Tim Weiman

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2002, 10:42:07 AM »
As with you all, I really had only heard "target golf" used in a negative way, which is not the way she meant.  

As far as the hiring decision goes, I am but a cog in the machine run by "the man" (an associate rather than a partner, that is).

Stevepoz
Steve Pozaric

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back