News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Balzer

Re: Top 10 "Best Courses for the Money" Courses in the US: Links Magazine
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Weatherwax. $26.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »
Mark Twain in Elmira NY ($26) used to get a lot of love on here years ago.  Pete Galea liked it.  I never have been there, but I remember pics that Pete had that looked pretty solid.   Speaking of DR courses, Southern Pines still has rates under $50 at twilight and off season.

Edit: I see Ron Montesano highlighted MTGC on his first post on HBDR.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:59:07 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 03:27:18 AM »
Not to give RJ grief, but his depiction of "twilight" and "off-season" is another annoying way to come up with a value course.  To me, value is derived from quality, in high season with no special rates involved.  If one is gladly willing to pay the full whack more than once than the course is good value.  Getting an extra price cut is the icing on the cake.   

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Scott Weersing

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
Folks gotta remember that value starts with quality.  Sometimes a $200 is great value and $0 terrible value. 

Ciao

I think the four courses at Bandon Dunes are a best value in the winter time. The rates for February, 2011 were $90 for first round and $45 for the replay.

I wonder what is the value if it takes. 5.5 hours to play a round. Rustic Canyon is slow because of the distance between tees, 12-13, 13-14, 17-18 and because they allow people to play as slow as they want. I have never seen a marshall or player assistant at Rustic Canyon. So I only play there early in the morning in order to avoid the usual So. Cal slow play.

So another value rating would be cost plus time of round. I would then say any course where you can play a twilight round in 3 hours would be the best value for me.

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »
Given that it's in the metro LA area, Rustic Canyon is probably the best value I've seen.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
I wonder what is the value if it takes. 5.5 hours to play a round. Rustic Canyon is slow because of the distance between tees, 12-13, 13-14, 17-18 and because they allow people to play as slow as they want. I have never seen a marshall or player assistant at Rustic Canyon. So I only play there early in the morning in order to avoid the usual So. Cal slow play.

Sorry not on topic...
Scott I guess the walk from 13 green to 14 tee is longer if you are playing the whites when they are up around the corner but don't think of that as one of the akward walks on the course.  9-10 however I do consider longer.

On topic...
I don't think this should be a top 10 value course in the country but for golf in Hawaii I thought Kahili was a pretty good option if you are looking for something in Maui that is easier on the wallet.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »
Links of ND
Indian Canyon
Hideout, UT
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
Olivas Links,Ventura CA
(805)677-6770

Soule Park Golf Club,Ojai,CA
(805)646-5633

Both just north of Los Angeles
Excellent and inexpensive

Allan Long

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
One not on the list, but I wouldn't miss is Wilmington Muni in North Carolina. Residents pay as little as $15 to walk, and non-residents pay no more than around $25 at peak to walk this Ross gem.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Doug Wright

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
One not on the list, but I wouldn't miss is Wilmington Muni in North Carolina. Residents pay as little as $15 to walk, and non-residents pay no more than around $25 at peak to walk this Ross gem.

Totally agree Allan. A real gem since it was restored by Ron Prichard. Omission of Wild Horse renders list questionable.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »
Am I the only one surprised to see La Purisima on this list?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
For my $$,  there is no better value out there than Willingers ($49 including cart in-season).

Minnesota folks, please start your anti-Willingers diatribes now.

I like Willinger's but The Legacy in Fairbault for $30 high season is a better value I think -- good not great but an interesting course with some cool features.

I'd add Waveland Muni in Des Moines and Gateway National in St Louis.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

William_G

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
Just played all the courses at Bandon for $75 with a $45 replay rate, LOL

check out the on course camera for today...60 degrees F with no wind!

of course 2 days ago it was 45 mph wind with rainstorm

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/pages/on_course_cameras/114.php
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:18:25 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 02:42:54 PM »
Since Garland brings up Links of ND, for people familiar with the Western North Dakota courses (LND and Bully Pulpit), does anyone know if they're getting a lot more play seeing as how there is a lot more people and money in that area than there was five years ago?  My understanding is that Williston has practically doubled in size, and it's mostly young guys making lots of money in the oil fields. I'm curious if that will lead to more infrastructure spending, which wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
Rivermont on the private sideM
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Alex Miller

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »

No, I'm very surprised.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »
I don't believe there is a better value than Triggs in Providence, RI.  Triggs is a classic parkland course by Ross.  In 2009 ranked as the 23rd best muni in the country,  but for no apparent reason not ranked in 2011.

For $100 per year, 2 year minimum, you become a weekday 'member' and fees are $23 for greens fees, cart and lunch every time you play.  Weekends slightly more.  This is the northeast, Donald Ross, etc. etc.  It is the best deal in golf!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2011, 10:48:03 PM »
Copake CC is the best value I know of in golf, just edging out Shennecossett.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »

Considering the publishers, no. If you can play a US Open site for a reasonable rate, it'll probably be on such a list.

Considering the course and its proper standing, yes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Since Garland brings up Links of ND, for people familiar with the Western North Dakota courses (LND and Bully Pulpit), does anyone know if they're getting a lot more play seeing as how there is a lot more people and money in that area than there was five years ago?  My understanding is that Williston has practically doubled in size, and it's mostly young guys making lots of money in the oil fields. I'm curious if that will lead to more infrastructure spending, which wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

Bill:

I played the Lewis and Clark Golf Trail Triple Challenge last year for $140 (it includes rounds at Hawktree, Links of ND and Bully Pulpit).  I thought the value was amazing, and it seemed like I had all three courses to myself.  Granted, it was early October, but the weather was unseasonably gorgeous for the two days I played. 

My guess is that the population boom in Williston has had a slight effect on play at the Links of ND, but not necessarily to the point of over-saturation.  I'd bet that most of the folks who are moving that way are not the golfing type, and that the volume of work going on is keeping recreational activities to a minimum.  The drive from Madera to Williston was not the smoothest piece of road I've seen, and the road work going on to expand the highway for truck use was ever present.  Williston itself seemed busy, but I didn't see any signs of folks sleeping in tents or any of the other rumors you hear about boom towns. 

As part of the Triple Challenge, you are automatically entered into their yearly contest.  I ended up being chosen as the third prize winner and was included in their 2011 Golf Trail Guide (scroll about halfway down the pdf for the challenge write up:  http://www.lewisandclarkgolftrail.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Ju4VybepDxg=&tabid=38).  As of today I have yet to receive the prize package.  The beer distributor golf bag is not of much interest, but the 2011 pass would have been useful.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill Seitz

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »
Sven, I paid about $125 for the triple challenge in 2006, and there probably isn't a better value in golf. I think it's gone up a bit since then. All three courses are worth playing regardless of the deal. But a lot of the towns in that area havent seen much population expansion in decades. Ii think Sidney, MT has been in the 5k to 6k range since my dad was a kid there in the 1940s. The impact that the oil boom has had is kind of interesting to watch. The McDonalds in Sidney has had to outsource the drive through window because it has been so hard to find people to work. Rental rates are through the roof. Just curious if it has had any effect on the local golf courses.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:24:17 AM by Bill Seitz »

PCCraig

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 11:01:36 AM »
Sven, I paid about $125 for the triple challenge in 2006, and there probably isn't a better value in golf. I think it's gone up a bit since then. All three courses are worth playing regardless do the deal. But a lot of the towns in that area havent seen much population expansion in decades. Ii think Sidney, MT has been in the 5k to 6k range since my dad was a kid there in the 1940s. The impact that the oil boom has had is kind of interesting to watch. The McDonalds in Sidney has had to outsource the drive through window because it has been so hard to find people to work. Rental rates are through the roof. Just curious if it has had any effect on the local golf courses.

Bill & Sven,

I've never heard of the Lewis and Clark Golf Trail Triple Challenge but it sounds like a fantastic deal and one worth looking into next season as I'm within a days drive of ND. Thanks for the heads up.
H.P.S.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »
Does anyone really expect a National high-gloss magizine to have done the necessary research and cost comparison to truely develop a realistic list? Seriously, with 16,000 courses how could they?  This is just another internet article.  A "top 10" list that forces you to click on the site 11 times to drive the ever important "Click-Count" used in advertising rates.
As the posts here show, there are many fine "great Value" course the editors of Links Magizine probably have never heard of.
Coasting is a downhill process

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
Tim,

I agree. While I have no quibbles on the value courses on the list, I would LOVE to see someone do some real hard digging and list some of the less obvious courses.  It seemed just an excuse to parrot old faves again.

Certainly, with value golf being more regional, it could be a best in state for value, or regionally based lists.  Or fall and winter, etc.  Lots of ways to be informative, but this one missed most of them!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Leahy

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »

No, I'm very surprised.

I am not surprised. For the money it is one of the best deals in Cali. Because it is out of the way, it is almost never full either.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back