News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Aetna Springs (CA)
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
I drove up to play the 9-hole Aetna Springs golf course yesterday and very much enjoyed it. I had never played there prior the to T. Doak renovation of a few years ago. What is there now is a nice combination of hard & easy and simple & complex. From just 20 or 30 yards away, the greens look rather plain, but the slopes are deceptive. Many of the holes and green sites are framed by a collection of beautiful old oak trees.

Right now the course is open Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat and visitors are encouraged to phone in advance before arriving there to play. From 11:00am to 3:00pm, we were just 2 of no more than a dozen people on the course the whole day. Two loops around the 9-hole course cost $30.

I would encourage my fellow NorCal GCA-ers to pay it a visit. The drive to Pope Valley is very scenic and the vibe there might give you some sense of what Napa Valley looked like 50 or 60 years ago. The remaining buildings of the old Aetna Springs Resort (National Registered Historic Place), designed by Bernard Maybeck, are also worth a look.

http://www.aetnasprings.com/#/golf/
http://www.renaissancegolf.com/our_courses/aetna_springs_resort/      

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:57:29 PM by David_Tepper »

Joel_Stewart

Re: Aetna Springs (CA)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »
I've been meaning to do this for a few years now, thanks for the information.

What's the length of the course and do you walk or do they require a cart?  Any specific holes that are worthwhile?

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
Joel -

My wife & I both walked twice around the nine holes. There are two modest climbs to elevated tees, but otherwise the course is an easy walk. Push carts are available for $5.

There are several creeks/barrancas that run thru the property and add interest to holes #1 (par-4) and #8 (par-5). #3 is a short par-3 set in a hollow and is a "new" hole, but one that apparently existed there many decades prior. Holes #3 and #4 (par-4's running in opposite directions) share a fairway. I was told that holes #6 & #7, at the far end of the property, are both new holes created in the renovation. I especially liked the generous amount of short grass surrounding the greens. Plenty of options for putting, chipping or pitching.

I would definitely call to book a teetime before heading up there. They intend to keep the course open for play those 4 days each week, but that may change depending on the weather this winter and the amount of play they get.

The length is blue tees - 3,057, white tees - 2,733 and red tees 2,369.

DT

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:54:21 PM by David_Tepper »

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »

"... and I liked the guy ..."

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:58:17 PM »
Mike -

Thanks for posting those pics. They are:

#1 from the red tees
#5 from the blue tees
#6 green from about 100 yards away.

DT

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:48:23 PM »
Has anyone seen Langtry Farms out that way yet? I was thinkiing of heading up that way and trying both courses.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
I know the pro who was working at Aetna Springs when Tom was working on the course.  He said they did a great job and the course is a lot of fun.  Very beautiful, too.  It is too bad they put the brakes on the 18 hole course out there.  It would have been another standout. 

Tim

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
Tim Leahy -

Looks like there is a "back door" way to access the Langtry golf course. Just spring for a night at one of the Auberge inns!

http://www.aubergeresorts.com/documents/press/releases/langtry-auberge-release-july-2011.pdf

DT

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
Thanks for the update and the pictures. I was totally unaware of this course until Tom D. mentioned it in a response to me about Yountville earlier this year. The next time I'm in the area I'm going to try to make a point to go see the course...it looks like it would be right up my alley.
H.P.S.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
Tim Leahy -

Looks like there is a "back door" way to access the Langtry golf course. Just spring for a night at one of the Auberge inns!

http://www.aubergeresorts.com/documents/press/releases/langtry-auberge-release-july-2011.pdf

DT

Ouch!!!!!!!

I thought I remembered reading something about joining the wine club there got you access also.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Keenan

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »
David

I had heard that Aetna Springs had some limited housing on site is that true?

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »
John Keenan -

There looked to be perhaps 4-6 units of temporary housing there. I do not know how they are used. Perhaps they are available to the ownership group to use when they visit. I doubt they are available to the general public. There is nothing on the Aetna Springs website that mentions accommodations being available.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back