News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Tritabaugh

Re: Crystal Downs CC (MacKenzie/Maxwell) - A Photo Tour - Hole 1 Posted
« Reply #275 on: November 23, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »

The incremental cost of maintaining fairway vs. rough depends on the grass type.  On bermuda (couch grass for you) or paspalum, it's not much different.  But on bentgrass / poa annua, it's a lot different.  I'd hazard a guess that another 10 acres of fairways maintained to high standard would cost another $50,000 over ten acres of bluegrass rough, but I'm happy to hear from superintendents on whether my guess is over the top.

Just picking my way through this thread now that I have more time on my hands. Sorry to go back in time but I saw Tom's comment and felt compelled to respond.

IMHO, 10 acres of bentgrass fairway should cost nowhere near 50k more but that's my way of maintaining bent in the climate I am in. If 50k is spent on 10 extra acres of bent fairway it probably won't be bent for long. What is the make up of the turf at CD? Looks like a lot of Poa in the pics.

John Kirk

Re: Crystal Downs CC (MacKenzie/Maxwell) - A Photo Tour - Hole 18 Posted
« Reply #276 on: November 23, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »

After playing even fours for 10-15, I managed to finish 8-6-6 for a smooth 44.   :P

Congratulations for making birdie on #17.

Ken Fry

« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »
This has been a fantastic thread with great observations and the usual banter.  The only comment I can make is quite simple:  photos can't do Crystal Downs justice.  I've been fortunate enough to have played a few rounds there.  Each visit is a thrill ride and reminder how special the place is.  Hats off to Sleeman, Doak and DeVries for how often they've been able to play CD over the years.  They are certainly the fortunate ones...

Ken

Mike Hendren

« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53:23 AM »
Limited discussion on the 9th and 16th supports my contention that those two holes are a notch below the remaining 16.  That's about the only negative thought I can conjure up about Crystal Downs and that's picking a couple of mighty small nits.  Neither hole is chopped liver and the rather pedestrian 16th provides a nice reprieve before stepping to the 17th tee, which slopes so severely that upon first look the player wonders if it is even walkable!  I treasure my 4 there.  

While not a confrontational golf course, Crystal Downs' subtle demands are unrelenting until the ball is retrieved from the hole.   Thanks for this thread which gives me pause to rethink whether there's a better golf course in the U. S.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back