News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Blue Golf's Course Directory
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/directory.htm

Just stumbled onto this as I was about to start a new thread (since abandoned) on halfway houses. Was thinking about Fox Chapel's cool HH, located in the trees/ground to the left of #10 tee and the BGCD entry for FC came up. Type in "National Golf Links" and click on the course layout image link. They do a nice job. I think that it is a terrific resource.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

Re: Blue Golf's Course Directory
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
Phenomenal, thanks Ron.

This will save me some time when I do the routings for future photo tours!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »
Wow.  This is going to be dangerous to my productivity.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
Mark & Sven...it blew my doors off. Not all courses (Crag Burn, for instance) are routed, but man, what a lot of work they've put into their package.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »
A lot of tournament information pages will have these maps attached.  Thanks for the link to the directory.

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »
Hi Ronald,

I actually work for BlueGolf. I've been meaning to create a post about the course directory since I joined but it kept slipping my mind. It is a really cool feature and I've been selfishly enjoying it for years now  ;)

The original purpose was for our BlueGolf customers to create course tours for their tournament courses as a service to their members. As such not many customers take advantage of it and some that do occasionally have inaccuracies but overall its a great resource  Since Top 100 courses rarely host local association and section events, I have personally set up the tours for a number of the great courses over the years for the heck of it.   Let me know if anyone wants a specific tour that we don't have and I'll set it up.

Also, it may not be apparent but the absolute coolest feature is the distance measuring tool. Just click your mouse anywhere on the course (it will place a green marker on that spot) and click your mouse again on another spot on the course (it will place a red marker). In the upper right it will give you the exact distance in yards between the two points.  As you can imagine this is pretty cool for a lot of things (for people like us anyway),  such as checking carry distances, width of fairways, distance from greens to the next tee, etc.  Just a neat tool for studying courses.   I would think this would be especially useful for architects involved in redesign projects.

Another note - the aerial images use google maps, so they are only as good as what Google has. Bandon for example has really poor aerials.

Mike

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:10:17 AM »
http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/directory.htm

Just stumbled onto this as I was about to start a new thread (since abandoned) on halfway houses. Was thinking about Fox Chapel's cool HH, located in the trees/ground to the left of #10 tee and the BGCD entry for FC came up. Type in "National Golf Links" and click on the course layout image link. They do a nice job. I think that it is a terrific resource.

FYI - an easier link to remember, which will re-direct to the link you posted above is: courselayout.com

Also, I set up Crag Burn: http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/cragburngcinc/aerial.htm

I think I got the routing right, but let me know if I messed anything up...

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
Mike,

Routing looks good.  Once again, this is so cool (to nerds like us  ::)), thanks.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 01:44:23 AM »
Interesting.. Very recent aerial of Fishers ... ( post Irene )

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 02:08:05 AM »
Donnie,

I'm curious what it is that identifies it as post-Irene. 14th and 15th fairways?

Donnie Beck

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 02:24:48 AM »
Donnie,

I'm curious what it is that identifies it as post-Irene. 14th and 15th fairways?

Salt damage around 4th and 5th and 10th teeboxes. Salt damage between the tee and fairway on #3 salt damage in front of #16 green and more salt damage to 12,13,14,15. It was also taken after labor day as there are signs of topdressing sand on a lot of greens and tees but the most telling sign is the is the fairway and green expansion on #10

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
And there you have it, Scott Warren!

Scott, I love that you asked Donnie for clarification and Donnie, way to come through. Such a great forum and quite indicative that we can clarify or even quarrel without stooping.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »
Thanks Donnie. If the extra fairway width on 10 is as significant as it appears in the aerial I think it's a great thing for the hole.

Ronald: Donnie is one of the best guys on the site. We're fortunate to have an authority on such a special place posting among us and so willing to share his experience and knowledge of Fishers Island.

Also, Ronald, thanks for alerting us to the bluegolf website.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back