News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil White

New Member Intro
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
Hi All,

After many years of reading posts I have finally decided to take the plunge and become a member of this (exclusive?) club.

Some background info: 35 years old, married with 4 kids. 11 handicap. UK based, residing in Stourbridge. Not employed in the golf industry but have a real interest in design, construction and maintenance of golf courses. Favourite courses played - Notts and Dinard (France). First book was 'The Golf Course' by Fred Hawtree, most prized book 'Golf Course Architecture in America' by Geo. C Thomas - open to anyone's suggestions to further my knowledge as I try to add to my titles as and when funds allow. Dreaming of going to the Melbourne Sandbelt, Tasmania and Bandon when the kids have flown.

Really enjoy the photo tours, especially of those courses I'm unlikely to get to, but also those I am able to play - Kington this Thursday (Cheers Mr Arble).

I hope I am able to add something to the topics on this site, if only from the view of a golfer and look forward to making friends / acquaintances from those within the treehouse? (I think that's what you guys call it).

Cheers,

Neil.

Kris Shreiner

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
Neil,

Welcome to the treehouse! I encourage you to weigh in when the spirit moves you, and join the gang on some GCA course romps that various groups participate in periodically. There are some wonderful souls here and I certainly feel fortunate to have met some of them during the past several years.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
Neil,

Welcome to GCA! Great to have another UK member on board!!!

You certainly get brownie points for Notts being a favourite, well from me at least, even if nobody else!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Neil White

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »
Kris, Brian & James,

Thanks for welcome!!

As for courses played - both Beau Desert and Little Aston have yet to be added to my growing list....... although I am hoping to change this next year.

Those I have played that I really enjoyed include Coxmoor, Sherwood Forest, Seacroft, Seascale, Silloth on Solway and of course Notts which was as good as expected!

In Wales I have savored treats such as Royal St Davids, Aberdovey, Porthmadog, Welshpool and Pwllheli. The south coast of Wales has escaped as of yet although I regularly play St David City, a little nine holer in a beautiful location above Whitesands Bay, Pembrokeshire when holidaying with the family.

Scotland unbelievably is virgin territory, which again I really must rectify next year.

Close to home there is Enville, Harbourne, Edgbaston and South Staffs that are frequented as and when possible.

I regularly play in the Shropshire and Herefordshire Alliances which take in courses like Church Stretton, Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Herefordshire,  Hawkstone, Wrekin and imminently Kington - all courses of certain design merit.

All in all not a particularly impressive golfing CV but there's plenty of time.......  :)

Neil.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:01 PM »

Hi Neil

Welcome to the Holy of Holies re GCA, but don't tell half the Members they have not quite realised the site is about golf let alone golf course architecture. They think it’s a rating site to compare to many a golf Mag. The top 100 of this or the top 50 of that, forgetting that the selection equation is based upon the lowest common denominator. Then again the experience of playing the game should have conveyed to many that a course can be transformed by the weather conditions from a little breeze to a full Force 8 - that never seems to be taken into account on these blood endless lists. Mind you they are a great bunch and will happily place that knife in your back as quick as not read your post, but that's life or was as they say. ;)

In all honesty this site really does offer the potential for some great debates and is second to none when it comes to obtaining information on a course or its history. You see the real heart of GCA.com when we are all working together. 8)

Have fun, say what you feel and be yourself, it’s the only way. :-*

Melvyn

Neil White

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Hi Melvyn,

Thanks for the heads up........ I think?  :-\

Look forward to participating as part of the whole as you suggest.

Cheers,

Neil

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
Welcome Neil. You might fancy our Cotswold quirk trip in late March.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back