News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Blakely

The Fairlawn Country Club (originally known at the Fairlawn Heights Golf Club) opened its first 9 holes in 1918.  William Boyce Langford designed these holes and according to Cornish and Whitten this was prior to his partnership with Theodore Moreau.  Langford returned in 1929 to add the remaining 9 holes.  The original clubhouse used to be near the current maintenance building / tennis facilities and this was where the original course started and finished.

In 2009, Craig Schreiner and the club completed a complete bunker renovation project.  Fairway bunkers were removed and repositioned.  These bunkers were typically not in the Langford style that was found on many of his later courses.  However, from past aerial photographs, it is unclear if the large diagonal bunkering that we typically associate with Langford’s courses was ever built at Fairlawn as 1918 was quite early in his career.

The course has numerous ravines that cut through the property and I felt were used quite well for some of the holes.  The course is not overly long; however, with the charm and quirk that it has, I did not feel it needed that.   The course also has the unique feature of have 6 par threes.  

http://www.fairlawncountryclub.org/features/content_page/home.cfm?CFID=3229491&CFTOKEN=82990381

http://www.csgolf.com/

FRONT  9

Hole #1: 367 yard Par4

Hole was the original 3rd hole on the original layout.  Green is set in a valley and slopes away from you on the approach.  This is one of my favorite greens on the course.

Hole #2: 353 yard Par4

Slightly up hill short par 4.

Hole #3: 521 yard Par5

Straight away par 5 that plays over the numerous ravines on the course with the tee shot.

Hole #4: 166 yard Par3

Drop shot par 3 that plays down into one of the ravines.

Hole #5: 396 yard Par4

One of my favorite holes on the course with a tee shot playing over one of the ravines to a landing area.  Once in the landing area, you are left with an approach shot back over the ravine to the green.

Hole #6: 193 yard Par3

Straight away long par 3.

Hole #7: 497 yard Par5

This is another one of my favorite holes on the golf course.  Tee shot starts out over the ravine and plays downhill.  The approach shot is then back uphill to the green perched above.

Hole #8: 399 yard Par4

Slightly downhill tee shot – tee box is at the same elevation as the 7th green.

Hole #9: 165 yard Par3

Downhill par 3 to a well bunkered green.

BACK  9

Hole #10: 445 yard Par4

New tee was added behind the 9th green that requires a carry over the ravine.  Approach shot is to an elevated green beyond another ravine.

Hole #11: 431 yard Par4

Straight away par 4 that has the fairway completely bisected by a wide creek.

Hole #12: 600 yard Par5

This is the longest par 5 on the course that has gently rolling fairway that plays to an elevated green.

Hole #13: 168 yard Par3

My favorite par 3 on the course that requires a carry over another ravine to a slightly elevated green (or it at least felt that way).

Hole #14: 419 yard Par4

The only green that is not original.  Green was redone in 1991 to USGA specifications – thankfully, this was the only one.

Hole #15: 480 yard Par5

Very short par 5 that plays shorter than the yardage.  Very fun short par 5 that has a bottle like features as one nears the green.  Green is perched right at the edge of a deep ravine behind.

Hole #16: 162 yard Par3

Mid-length redan-like par 3.

Hole #17: 347 yard Par4

Another one of my favorite holes on the course with a wonderful built up Langford green.  The plateau green feels like island-green feel as it is almost surrounded by sand.

Hole #18: 210 yard Par3

Long finishing par 3.

Finally, I would like to thank Joe Leenheer for hosting me at Fairlawn Country Club.  I am sure he will add some much better commentary on his wonderful Langford course.

Chris

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:15:59 PM by Chris_Blakely »

Will Lozier

I would love to hear Joe's thoughts but it seems the course has lost significant fairway width over time and would benefit greatly from reclaiming original mowing lines - this would recreate lost strategy by offering differing angles of approach and bring those fairway bunkers back into play.  Looks like the course has great character and potential for even more.

Cheers and thanks for the tour!

Chris_Blakely

I would love to hear Joe's thoughts but it seems the course has lost significant fairway width over time and would benefit greatly from reclaiming original mowing lines - this would recreate lost strategy by offering differing angles of approach and bring those fairway bunkers back into play.  Looks like the course has great character and potential for even more.

Cheers and thanks for the tour!

Will,

It took me some time to get this up.  Part of the problem is the  infrequency that I actually post pictures.  I hope that now that I have all of the holes up, Joe can give us more commentary that I did as he knows the course so much better than I do after playing it once.  The course has wonderful character and charm.  Your comment about recapturing original moving patterns is a good one.

Thanks,

Chris

Phil McDade

Boy, does this bring back memories -- a course I never had the chance to play, but probably drove by a thousand times in my youth. I grew up about a half-hour from this course, and we'd usually drive right past Fairlawn CC -- it sits hard by busy Market Street -- on our way to the old downtown Akron Civic Center theater, or some of the great old dives downtown where bands like Devo got their start. Fairlawn may not be nearly as well-known as nearby Firestone, but it's THE old-money club in Akron, and is located in what is still one of the nicer neighborhoods of the city. The father of one of my best friends in high school belonged here, and I recall once playing on the club's very fine clay tennis courts.

I have to say, I don't see a lot of what usually characterizes a Langford course, save for the built-up green of the 17th. But, pre-Moreau, maybe that was more in keeping with his design style back then. Always has been a well-regarded course in these parts -- not on par with the best of Cleveland, of course, but a solid club course nonetheless.

Joe Leenheer

Chris,

I don't remember being that bad the day you played.  I feel bad for you and the poor sap you suckered into playing with you!

I'll share a couple of photos I have to help give a little perspective on what the course looks like without 47 feet of rainfall in 4 months.

The Clubhouse and Putting Green

The 1st Green...NOTE there is NO hazard to the left of the green as in Chris' picture...that's just how much rain we got two days prior to round.

#2 Approach & Green

#6 Green

#9 Green

#10 Approach Shot

#17 Approach Shot & #18

Old Pic of #17 Approach Shot & 18 in Proshop

Will - The fairways are much narrower now, but still fair.  For instance, #12 (600 yards from the tips) used to have an EXTREMELY large fairway years ago...now it's only Large.  Most of the holes (not fairways) have lost width due to tree planting and growth (my super keeps the chainsaws under lock & key as every time we talk I tell him to leave one out for me overnight).  My biggest issue is the lack of shape in the fairways rather than size.  I believe it was been discussed in green's committee meeting, but is not top priority.  

Phil - The courts are almost as good the course! 

Unfortunately, Chris didn't get to experience one of the BEST parts at Fairlawn.  The homemade pies at the halfway house.  I always gauge what kind of round I'm having by how early I start thinking about pie.

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Will Lozier

Will - The fairways are much narrower now, but still fair.  For instance, #12 (600 yards from the tips) used to have an EXTREMELY large fairway years ago...now it's only Large.  Most of the holes (not fairways) have lost width due to tree planting and growth (my super keeps the chainsaws under lock & key as every time we talk I tell him to leave one out for me overnight).  My biggest issue is the lack of shape in the fairways rather than size.  I believe it was been discussed in green's committee meeting, but is not top priority.  

Unfortunately, Chris didn't get to experience one of the BEST parts at Fairlawn.  The homemade pies at the halfway house.  I always gauge what kind of round I'm having by how early I start thinking about pie.

Joe,

Yes, the fairways are very linear.  Do you not find (many of) the fairway bunkers well off the fairway?  That to me always looks very awkward.  There is that same phenomenon at Springfield CC - the old Ross gem I grew up playing I mentioned to you in your intro thread.  Having reclaimed the greens there, it seems to me a good idea to reclaim the fairways as well to bring those hazards back into play.  

Your mention of great pies at the halfway house makes me think of the greatest halfway house ever - Sunningdale and their sausage sandwiches!  MMMMMMH....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:51:27 PM by Will Lozier »

Jud_T

Chris,

Thanks! My favorite non-big-name GCA.  Can't get enough of him...Bit of a Shoreacres look to some of those ravine holes...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:49:42 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BHoover

I haven't had the opportunity to play Fairlawn CC, but I do have memories of a significant event there. My wife and I had our wedding reception at Fairlawn in December 2008. Didn't get to see much of the course thanks to the snow at the time. But it seems to be a great old club.

Joe Leenheer

Yes, the fairways are very linear.  Do you not find (many of) the fairway bunkers well off the fairway?  That to me always looks very awkward.  There is that same phenomenon at Springfield CC - the old Ross gem I grew up playing I mentioned to you in your intro thread.  Having reclaimed the greens there, it seems to me a good idea to reclaim the fairways as well to bring those hazards back into play.  

Your mention of great pies at the halfway house makes me think of the greatest halfway house ever - Sunningdale and their sausage sandwiches!  MMMMMMH....

I've picked out some of the bigger changes in bunker position post renovation.

Some other big changes were on hole #1 with the fairway bunker on the right being moved up (much more in play for A player, great target bunker for most).

Hole #3-added a new fairway bunker on right and moved one on left up a bit.

Hole #4 The pond is new...it's ok.

Hole #5 Eliminated an awkward bunker some 30 yards short of the green and almost in the ravine (guessing it was initially a saving bunker). 

#6 Eliminated back right bunker (rarely in play) and added new front right bunker..big deceiving bunker.

Elimination of fairway bunker on #7 (bad move if you ask me. Tee shot is now defenseless).  Addition of fairway bunker left (100 yards) and lower bunker (40 yards).  Eliminated 2 or 3 back bunkers.

#10 used to have a fairway bunker on the left a LONG time ago...that hole doesn't need it as it is a BRUT.

#14 had one of those really awkward bunkers that was some 30 yards right of the green practically in the woods.  Both bunkers to the right of the green were eliminated and a Ross style shaved area was added instead. 

#15 Added fairway bunker (200 yards) and eliminated saving bunkers to the left and right of green.  Makes going for this short par 5 (even from 150) very intimidating.  Best sub 500 (476 from tips) par 5.....ever?

I won't bore you with anymore! 

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Joe Leenheer

Chris,

Thanks! My favorite non-big-name GCAs.  Can't get enough of 'em...Bit of a Shoreacres look to some of those ravine holes...

I know right! Holes #12 & 13 at Shoreacres look (according to the write up...haven't played it yet) and seemingly play just like Fairlawn's 4th & 5th. Before the addition of the pond I showed the Shoreacres pics to my super. They still put in the pond.

Evan Fleisher

I have to agree with Will's comments...those fairways look microscopic in comparison to what they could be to add playing dimensions and additional character to the course.

I think it's time to go break that lock, Joe!  :o

...although I will say that (from the pictures) the playing corridors certainly do not look overly tree'd or claustrophobic. I think maybe will it right that simply instead of using a linear cutting style that some other method could produce a different look that would be more appealing.

Anxious to see it in person someday, looks like a lovely place to play and enjoy an afternoon.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ronald Montesano

Dew and bridges make for a great round of golf.

#5...no tee shot view, correct? This hole reminds me of one of the quarry holes at CCBuffalo, the 11th. Plays slightly left to right, crosses the declivity (although at CCB, it's playable turf down there) then rises to a peninsula, half fairway, half green in front.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Leenheer

#5 View from Tee as requested...

Members Tee

Back Tee

#4 Green & Tee

The request of these shots forced me to play a couple this morning...and now that you mention it..the fairways are very narrow.  I guess we are preparing for an Open that I'm not aware of.

Bill McKinley

That tee shot on #5 would look so much better if you could remove all the trees on the right side and highlight the steep hillside.  Also, it should be noted that EVERY fairway looks narrow to Joe, the way he drives the ball.  The truth hurts my friend.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Joe Leenheer

That tee shot on #5 would look so much better if you could remove all the trees on the right side and highlight the steep hillside.  Also, it should be noted that EVERY fairway looks narrow to Joe, the way he drives the ball.  The truth hurts my friend.

I've spent 20+ years perfecting my game from the rough...I don't have time to start working on hitting it to and from the short grass. 

As far as the 5th is concerned...I still say ol' W.B. had it right when he pointed the tee box down the ravine.  It was as if he was trying to tell us that is were he wanted the hole to go, but didn't have the equipment. 

My dream is to give a topographical of Fairlawn to an architect/designer of modern day and see what kind of spectacular routing could be made.  I could come up with at least a top 50!   ;D

Tim Nugent

About 20 yrs ago the large amount of storm water being discharged by the shopping mall parking lot no the ravine was causing such erosion that the bottom of the ravine was being eaten away.  Consequently, the ravine side slopes were, well, sliding down.  To halt this, the check dams you see adjacent to #4 green/5 tee.  The idea was to slow the velocity of the water and by raising the spillway elevation several feet above the current water elevation, we would create a small settling pool behind each spillway and overtime, hopefully those pools would silt in and create a new, higher ravine bottom, thus halting and to an extent, reversing the effects of the erosion and halting the side slope slide.
From the pictures, it appears that it worked.
Coasting is a downhill process

Joe Leenheer

About 20 yrs ago the large amount of storm water being discharged by the shopping mall parking lot no the ravine was causing such erosion that the bottom of the ravine was being eaten away.  Consequently, the ravine side slopes were, well, sliding down.  To halt this, the check dams you see adjacent to #4 green/5 tee.  The idea was to slow the velocity of the water and by raising the spillway elevation several feet above the current water elevation, we would create a small settling pool behind each spillway and overtime, hopefully those pools would silt in and create a new, higher ravine bottom, thus halting and to an extent, reversing the effects of the erosion and halting the side slope slide.
From the pictures, it appears that it worked.

Ravine erosion has not been a topic of discussion until this year.  Your check dams seem to be working (I got a close look at them this year...but that's another story), but with some of the "gully washers" that we've had they were not enough to protect the back of 4 green.  They reworked the creek line and installed the new retention wall.  The pond was a "bonus".  Also the piping that was run underneath the range and #3 bridge feeding that ravine line is almost entirely exposed and in shambles.  No repair talk yet as new practice range proposal is ongoing  (but no one wants to sign the check).  I thought I saw "Nugent" on something in the Maintenance facility.  What else did you guys do?

Chris_Blakely

Boy, does this bring back memories -- a course I never had the chance to play, but probably drove by a thousand times in my youth. I grew up about a half-hour from this course, and we'd usually drive right past Fairlawn CC -- it sits hard by busy Market Street -- on our way to the old downtown Akron Civic Center theater, or some of the great old dives downtown where bands like Devo got their start. Fairlawn may not be nearly as well-known as nearby Firestone, but it's THE old-money club in Akron, and is located in what is still one of the nicer neighborhoods of the city. The father of one of my best friends in high school belonged here, and I recall once playing on the club's very fine clay tennis courts.

I have to say, I don't see a lot of what usually characterizes a Langford course, save for the built-up green of the 17th. But, pre-Moreau, maybe that was more in keeping with his design style back then. Always has been a well-regarded course in these parts -- not on par with the best of Cleveland, of course, but a solid club course nonetheless.

It has a lot of Langford characteristics.  Many of the greens are built up 12, 13, 15, and 16 come to mind . . . the pictures do not show it.  You have to remember that half of the course was very early on in his career and of the early Langford courses I have played that were before Moreau joined the operation, that do not seem as bold.

Chris

Chris_Blakely

Chris,

Thanks! My favorite non-big-name GCA.  Can't get enough of him...Bit of a Shoreacres look to some of those ravine holes...

Jud,

You are welcome.  Joe was a very welcoming host and encouraged me to post pictures of our day.  I LOVE Langford and Moreau golf courses.

Chris

Chris_Blakely

Joe,

Thank you for going back and taking pictures of the shots I missed.

Chris

Chris_Blakely

According to Cornish and Whitten, Fairlawn Country Club was renovated by Larry Packard in 1960 . . . I wonder if Langford's bunkering was softened then?

Chris

Mike McGuire

According to Cornish and Whitten, Fairlawn Country Club was renovated by Larry Packard in 1960 . . . I wonder if Langford's bunkering was softened then?

Chris

Either that or Moreau didn't build the originals.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:29:53 PM by Mike McGuire »

Chris_Blakely

Chris

Either that or Moreau didn't build the originals.

Moreau if he was involved, was only invovled for 9 holes as the original 9 holes were built prior to their partnership. 

Chris

Dean DiBerardino

Chris

Images of Fairlawn in 1952 (from historicaerials.com)

RJ_Daley

The course really looks like it has great old bones.  But, it is also obvious that there were old L&M gull wing bunkering with flatish sand basins, and adjacent mounding that extended more on angles.  These seemed to be modernized, mostly by softening the humps of the mounds, and in some of them, flashing sand up the formerly grass cuppy slopes of the older versions.  The old aerials from the 50s show FW mowed up to the bunker edges, that are now five yards or more into the rough.  Just think how many of those evergreens were placed in the dark age-evergreen crazy 50s and 60s.  It seems that Fairlawn followed the same model as Lawsonia in the tree and evergreen goofy era.  17 obviously screams L&M. 

With the great old course that is still there, one would only hope the club would at least have Ron Forse and Jim Nagle come in and give them a master plan to restore the old glorious course this seems it once was.  Their work at Lawsonia is a living endorsement of who is qualified and knows what to do regarding L&M resto.

The course doesn't suck as it is.  It seems like a fine day of golf at the old CC.  But, it seems fairly clear this course could be SOOOO much more.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back