News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Leenheer

Which is worse?
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:57:17 AM »
Not knowing someone....or knowing someone and not being able to ask?

I say the later... :-X

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Which is worse?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
Joe,

I've seen guys from this board carry Cypress Point bags who are not a member.  Be careful for who you ask whore.

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:33 PM »
The appropriate reaction is to wait to be invited.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
John...."Be careful for who you ask whore"  ......typo?

This bag IS that of a PV member...takes a trip once or twice a year.  I've not been invited by him nor would I ever ask. I am not a whore  ;D

Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
Since I didn't recognize the logo, the post made me think of the plot for a madcap comedy of mistaken identity starring Charles Grodin,  Joe Pantoliano, Ryan Gosling, and Cameron Diaz -- with a star turn by Robert DeNiro as a fading movie mogul who owns a house nearby but who absolutely hates golf.  At some point, maybe 2/3rds of the way through, and after all manner of trouble and confusion, one of the characters yells out: "You should have waited to be INVITED!".  I think Ryan ends up learning quite a bit about himself, and about growing up, and about love and what's truly important in life, and...wait for it....he gets to play Pine Valley AND Cypress Point, on the same DAY (because he and the movie mogul fly back to California on a private jet, an account of DeNiro having gotten back into the 'game' -- literally and of course metaphorically).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
Recently when in Vegas I had a older little round man sit next to me wearing a LACC shirt.  He was also the first person I had ever met actually sporting a rubber strapped stainless steel Patek Philippe nautilus.  I asked him what he thought of the renovation work and we had a pleasant conversation.  He was clearly either a member of the course or a lurker on this site.

I was most impressed by his wife, she of same age and untrophied build.

note:  I only mention the watch because to determine if someone is a member of a rare and exclusive club you need more than one clue.  Patek seems more LACC than Riviera.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
My wife covets the Hermes hand bag...I go weak at sights like that.....

Do something nice for someone (or his child), preferably something that he cannot buy, and hope for the best....

Jim Briggs

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »

Try to make sure that he never realizes his assistant pro posed his bag and snapped a picture. You were at least thoughtful that you made sure the bag tag wasn't name side up...

Bruce Katona

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Barry!

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:58 PM »

Try to make sure that he never realizes his assistant pro posed his bag and snapped a picture. You were at least thoughtful that you made sure the bag tag wasn't name side up...

Surprisingly I thought of that!...although I could have several members who are members at PV with the same bag right?  ;D 

Also, being the TOP notch pro that I am  ;) I treat all of my members equally so no extra special service to try to get the nod.  How I look an invitation is if someone wants to invite you they will, it they don't...then they won't.  Until then...I'll always have GCA (until I get banned).

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
John...."Be careful for who you ask whore"  ......typo?

No typo, I'm sure.

The one time I wanted someone to give me an invite was while playing Pelican Hill in Newport Beach CA in 1991.  They paired me, a single, with a father and his son.  It took the father about six holes or so to announce, from out of the blue, that he was a member of ANGC.  Never asked him for an invitation, or hinted, but held hope the rest of the round.  

Later learned he was the CEO of one of America's biggest corporations.  Which was probably why the staff came out in carts on the course to make sure everything was ok with him.      

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Welcome aboard Barry!

Thanks!  Been visiting regularly for months and finally asked Ran to add me as a member.

Barry,

Just have patience.  I've been invited to play every course I have ever desired, with the exception of Augusta National, simply by being myself.  You have taken a good first step joining this site.

One thing I can promise you is that no self respecting member of a great course can be bribed into an invite.  Luckily for magazine raters, there are still quite a few non self respecting members of great clubs.

It is important to not see too many courses too quickly.  I now find myself a bit melancholy that only one grail exists and such a hack one at that.  

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »

WHICH IS WORSE  ??? ??? ??? 8)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
Welcome aboard Barry!

Thanks!  Been visiting regularly for months and finally asked Ran to add me as a member.

I now find myself a bit melancholy that only one grail exists and such a hack one at that.  

Very strategic! 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Coffee's for closers only.

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »

The correct response for the presumptuous AW:

"You see this watch? You see this watch?...That watch cost more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see, pal, that's who I am. And you're nothing.  Nice guy? I don't give a sh*t. Good father? F**k you -- go home and play with your kids!! You wanna work here? Close!! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you &^%$sucker? You can't take this"

still only the 3rd best movie of all time...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
Ha, ha - good one, Carl and John (and Jud).  You obviously all know the ABCs : A - Always, B - Be, C - Closing. Always Be Closing. ALWAYS... be closing!  Meanwhile, the rest of us are sitting at the end of a bar, drowning our sorrows: "Yeah, I was an access seeker once - tough racket".  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:31:51 PM by PPallotta »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
In the case of PV, the logo without the name can only be bought by members, so you know right off if its a member or a guest who bought in the pro shop.

As to what's worse, try this.  I once pulled some strings for a client to get on PV.  They didn't show and I got a call from both the club and my sponsor (well known to this board) asking why.  Called the cell phone, and this group got drunk at a strip club the night before and decided to skip it.

I doubt I will ever be able to get anyone, moi included, on PV again!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Michael George

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
In the case of PV, the logo without the name can only be bought by members, so you know right off if its a member or a guest who bought in the pro shop.

As to what's worse, try this.  I once pulled some strings for a client to get on PV.  They didn't show and I got a call from both the club and my sponsor (well known to this board) asking why.  Called the cell phone, and this group got drunk at a strip club the night before and decided to skip it.

That is awesome!!!   

Jeff - if you are hanging with people like this, we certainly need you at more gca outings!
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »

The correct response for the presumptuous AW:

"You see this watch? You see this watch?...That watch cost more than your car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see, pal, that's who I am. And you're nothing.  Nice guy? I don't give a sh*t. Good father? F**k you -- go home and play with your kids!! You wanna work here? Close!! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you &^%$sucker? You can't take this"

still only the 3rd best movie of all time...

Love to see your list, only makes my waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated list, memorable only for it's quotable scenes such as this one (quotable in a bad way, in this instance).

From the first draft of the screenplay (another poster from Philly fount it, I may put it up on ebay):

A: f you.

B: No, f you.

A: No, F YOU.

B: NO, F YOU!

A: NO, F YOUUUUU!!!!!

B: NO, EEEEEFFFFFFFFF YYYYYOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

A: A hole.

Repeat ad nauseum for approx 100 pages. Please remit payment for script to...

-----

Patience, John L. Good things come to those who wait.

Although I will say, the most frequent response I get from meeting GCAers is, "You should have asked me, I know so and so..."
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »

This is my biggest fear when calling upon other clubs for members.  Thankfully that has only happened to me once and it was at a club where I had a very good relationship with the Professional Staff.  I wish I could have seen the look on MY face when I saw my member and I ask how was it and he said "Oh...we decided to skip it."  ...If it were PV I might have went over the counter.

I guess to answer my own question...I would rather not have any opportunity at all then be given the hope of opportunity only to be never given said opportunity.

NOTE:  I don't do well in candy stores.

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Jeff,

Aside from being on a hospital bed getting one's stomach pumped for alcohol poising and held down by restraints or simply dying from a sick drinking contest, I can't imagine being too drunk or too tired to show up.  Doesn't speak well for the client.  I played an outing at Bethpage Black once in 95 degree heat after one of the worst benders of my career.  And aside from almost yacking in the car on the way over and at the sight of the post round beverage, it wasn't too much of an effort...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:13:10 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
Barry,

Please accept my apologies, I thought you were a child.

Michael George

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
My favorite ANGC story:

A friend of mine that helps with the Bridgestone Invt'l in Akron is a huge Steelers fan.  As a thank you for his efforts, the Exec. Director of the tournament sets him up to host Lynn Swann at Firestone following the tournament (after the pro football hall of fame game).  Anyway, a couple of months afterwards, Lynn calls him up and tells him that he would like to reciprocate.  He is taking clients golfing and needed an 8th.  My friend drives to Pittsburgh.  Lynn puts him on a private plane (owned by Lynn's employer) and tells him that they are going to Pinehurst.  When the plane lands in Augusta, my friend figures it out and he spends 2 days playing there and staying in one of the cabins off #10.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
They paired me, a single, with a father and his son.  It took the father about six holes or so to announce, from out of the blue, that he was a member of ANGC.

From what I know about the club, this member is a rare bird.  I imagine those types of announcements from actual members are few/far between to those who they have just met.  I've heard/read about members who didn't divulge their status to close golf buddies for fear of being inundated with requests to go play...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back