News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Nassau CC and Seth Raynor
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
I think I posted this on another thread but it probably belongs here . . .

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
"George
What are some examples of Emmet overseeing construction of Raynor plans?"

Who really knows but if there ever was a good candidate it would probably be Marion Hollins' Women's National GC. The thing to keep in mind is all those guys were friends and probably OK with one another and could work on anything together via whatever way it took. But ask a guy like Tom MacWood to understand that or how and why and it gets complicated today to say the least. The man is the worst architectural historian imaginable and that explains why the threads on this website run into multiple pages.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
The main reason that these threads run on is found in the second half of your reply, which adds nothing of value to the question/s at hand and is only made to instigate trouble.

Grow up.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 09:17:14 AM »
Jim Kennedy:

As long as the likes of Moriarty and MacWood continue to make the ridiculous claims they do on here with various siginficant subjects it's going to continue, so live with it or just do something else. This is a discussion group and disagreements and even arguments over them happen.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:18:45 AM by TEPaul »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »
Who really knows but if there ever was a good candidate it would probably be Marion Hollins' Women's National GC. The thing to keep in mind is all those guys were friends and probably OK with one another and could work on anything together via whatever way it took. But ask a guy like Tom MacWood to understand that or how and why and it gets complicated today to say the least. The man is the worst architectural historian imaginable and that explains why the threads on this website run into multiple pages. -
TEPaul

That's not a disagreement or an argument, it's purely spite.

Grow up.

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
Jim Kennedy:

It's also a fact.

But if it is spite then that's what happens with someone who accuses me and my friends of pissing on CBM's grave about 25 times on here. If you feel like you want to play the moderator on here then you should start by moderating him too.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
TEPaul,
Thanks for providing the proof in your last post that it is spiteful behavior on your part, a leftover from bygone arguments.

You made the beginnings of a contribution concerning Marion Hollins/Emmet/Raynor that got lost because you could not resist the temptaion to attack someone, in this instance it was TMac. The topic had been rolling along quite nicely and didn't need an injection of spiteful behavior, from you or anyone else.

It seems pretty simple to me, take the bullseye off your back and, eventually, the snipers won't have a target. In other words, moderate yourself and they'll be forced to follow suit.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
Another attribution for this course, around 1922:

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »
Does Nassau win the competition over Gulph Mills  in the number of architects who have touched the respective courses?  ;D ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
In the club book, Nassau Country Club – The place to be – 1896 to1996, In Chapter 10 Course redesign, 1911-1915.

With the new clubhouse finished in 1910, and its furnishing completed by October of 1911, the club could now turn to modernizing the course.
On October 26, the Directors stated: “That the links need to be intelligently bunkered to date, and the suggestions which we gathered from visiting experts are now placed in the hands of a special committee to lay out the work”

Could Raynor have been a visiting expert?   

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
If you go back on this topic you'll ssee Raynor's contributions.

I don't think anyone has ever found any information that Colt was in the U.S. after 1914, so this article isn't very factual if that is the case. Allison was reported to be in the U.S. at the time so it may have been him, and as Colt, Allison and Mackenzie worked together he may have written Colt for effect.  It may even be the case that it was Raynor and that the writer had bad info.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Nassau CC and Seth Raynor New
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:26:10 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back