News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Name the architect
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Drivable par 4. Who's the architect?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Will Lozier

Re: Name the architect
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:08:49 PM »
Garland,

I don't think I care! ??? 

Cheers

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
Will,

I think you should care. The architect has lots of ardent supporters here.

Perhaps I should detail the hole a little more. The hole is fairly forgiving for high handicappers as there is lots of room left to drive into and open up an angle into the green. Hopefully, the picture clearly depicts that the more you try to bite off and fail, the more you are penalized.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
Where is the course located?

Jim Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:29:04 PM »
Is it Coore's Rockport CC?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
Is it Coore's Rockport CC?

I don't remember that or any holes that were so open.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
Nicklaus?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
From what I can gather from one picture, there is a hole very similar to this at the Pete Dye inspired Mission Hills course at Hainan. 
@Pure_Golf

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Is it Schmidt and Curley?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
I always thought Weiskopf's specialty was the driveable par 4. 
Be the ball

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
I always thought Weiskopf's specialty was the driveable par 4. 

I like his stuff but he doesn't get much mention on here.

Will Lozier

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
Will,

Perhaps I should detail the hole a little more. The hole is fairly forgiving for high handicappers as there is lots of room left to drive into and open up an angle into the green. Hopefully, the picture clearly depicts that the more you try to bite off and fail, the more you are penalized.

Garland,

Knowing your good taste, I knew it had to have some architectural merit...but that pic just isn't attractive nor does it make the hole look at all interesting.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:02:54 PM by Will Lozier »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
Will,

Garland,

Knowing your good taste, I knew it had to have excellent designer and some architectural merit...but that pic just isn't attractive nor does it make the hole look at all interesting.  I'll have to check out the website.  As a former Bandon caddie who LOVES Trails, I am a huge Crenshaw/Coore fan for the record.

Cheers

???

I certainly didn't claim it had an "excellent designer and some architectural merit". I simple wrote that the architect had ardent supporters.

And who says I have good taste? I have a particular taste. No ponds! ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
All suggested architects are incorrect so far.

Hint:
I have only played golf west of the Mississippi River (if we agree to ignore Addis Abeba CC).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
4th hole par 3 double green with 1st hole portion of green in the background.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:11:36 PM by Garland Bayley »

Will Lozier

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
???

I certainly didn't claim it had an "excellent designer and some architectural merit". I simple wrote that the architect had ardent supporters.

[/quote]

Sorry Garland, I thought the Coore reply was from you and was the answer!!!!!!!  I've modified my reply to you accordingly - magically traveling back in time!  Do I need to modify my observation about your taste? ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »
???

Sorry Garland, I thought the Coore reply was from you and was the answer!!!!!!!  I've modified my reply to you accordingly - magically traveling back in time!  Do I need to modify my observation about your taste? ;)

Is there a pond on Bandon Trails? ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:52:46 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
From what I can gather from one picture, there is a hole very similar to this at the Pete Dye inspired Mission Hills course at Hainan. 

Hainan would certainly be west of the Mississippi.
;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
The architect features this par 3 green on his website.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
Is that another double green with the 18th on the left and the 9th on the right, wrapped around the lake?

If so, it's a dead ringer for Grand  Cypress in Orlando, a Nicklaus design known for its punitive nature.  

But could be one of the Dyes.  

Whoops, should have read the OP a bit more carefully!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:55 PM »
Is it a John Fought course?

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 11:39:45 PM »
Jim Engh

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »
Not a Dye, not a Fought.

Although I lied about only playing west of the Mississippi since St. Paul and suburbs are east of the Mississippi, I can also say I have not played in Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Nor, have I played in Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, or Arizona.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
Sean gets it. Sean, have you played the course?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »
Then what course is it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back