News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Warwick Loton

Re: 10 Best Courses to play in Australia
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »
Pete,

The two important things in Australian golf (from a GCA perspective) are the Barnbougle complex and the Melbourne Sandbelt. I'd have a really good look around these, and then if you have time left over, pick from the joys of NSWGC, Newcastle GC, Royal Adelaide, Royal Qld, Lake K, St Andrews Beach, The National etc, according to which other parts of the country you'd like to see.

Barnbougle's easy: you play both courses.
On the Sandbelt, I'd play a variety of courses to get a feel for the style and the variations within it. Within this context, play Victoria, Woodlands and Metro. Victoria isn't my favorite course, but it's challenging and located across the road from RM, so you can see different ways to use pretty similar pieces of land. It's also a great place to stay - handsome old clubhouse; located in centre of the Sandbelt. Obviously you must play RM & KH. Commonwealth, Yarra Yarra & Peninsula are (lovable) optional extras.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:42:47 PM by Warwick Loton »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Pete,

For a green fee at RM you can fly return to New Zealand. Three hours flight each way at very convenient times.  If you're down under I'd seriously recommend spending a week in NZ. 

The rest of the time around Melbourne - 20 odd days should be plenty for a festival of golf.

Michael

My first trip, when I was 27, I spent three weeks in Australia and one in New Zealand.

A week in New Zealand is not enough to appreciate it.  About all it will do is convince you that you have to go back to New Zealand someday.

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
Pete,

The golf looks awesome and I certainly need to go back for it (I only played one crap round when I was there on my honeymoon  :-\).  However, I certainly wouldn't go down under for a month without sampling some of the best scuba diving on the planet out on the great barrier reef (or snorkeling for you light-in-the-fins boys out there).
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »
Each of the 20+ courses I played “Down Unda” had some merit -- most were world-class. The following 10 from my experiences may not represent the truly “best 10” courses from a pure quality standpoint, but I think they would provide the best balance in terms of excellent architecture, course variety, and club atmosphere. If at all possible, play with members at each course to gain a true sense of how the game is played there.

These are the recommendations I would give to my own twin, if I had one:
Barnbougle Dunes
Royal Melbourne- West
Lost Farm
St. Andrews Beach
New South Wales
Kingston Heath (Metropolitan, Commonwealth and Woodlands are all great &  occupy similar sites, but KH is the prime example)
The National-Moonah
Peninsula-North
Victoria
Portsea
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
Others have better knowledge on golf options.

Some non golf highlights for me that you might want to take into account.
Tasmania - stayed on east coast. It felt like the end of the world.

Ocean Road - I would include Adelaide in you itinerary for the drive alone.

As for golf _ I would spend as much time as possible in Melbourne.  I regretted not seeing more of those courses. 

Tom Kelly

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
Pete,

The two important things in Australian golf (from a GCA perspective) are the Barnbougle complex and the Melbourne Sandbelt. I'd have a really good look around these, and then if you have time left over, pick from the joys of NSWGC, Newcastle GC, Royal Adelaide, Royal Qld, Lake K, St Andrews Beach, The National etc, according to which other parts of the country you'd like to see.

Barnbougle's easy: you play both courses.
On the Sandbelt, I'd play a variety of courses to get a feel for the style and the variations within it. Within this context, play Victoria, Woodlands and Metro. Victoria isn't my favorite course, but it's challenging and located across the road from RM, so you can see different ways to use pretty similar pieces of land. It's also a great place to stay - handsome old clubhouse; located in centre of the Sandbelt. Obviously you must play RM & KH. Commonwealth, Yarra Yarra & Peninsula are (lovable) optional extras.

Very sensible advice. If you try to fit Adelaide, Sydney and even Perth into a relatively short trip the mileage you would clock up would be insane. Between Melbourne and Barnbougle you have it all really. Warwick's calls on what to play within Melbourne are also correct in my mind. definitely try to play Woodlands, it doesn't get the press or status it deserves and is better than Victoria in my opinion though I may be the only person who holds that view?!

I would say though that while in Melbourne you might as well nip down to St Andrew's Beach for a game as it is the best value round of golf I have ever played and only a hour or so away, I got a weekday twilight rate of about $25 if I remember rightly which is just ridiculous for a course of that quality, though prices might have gone up since I was there last year.

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
For visitors from the US, it makes sense to try to structure your visit so you arrive in Sydney and head home from Melbourne -- or vice versa -- so you minimise internal travel (just as it makes sense for an Aussie visiting California to do likewise with LA and San Fran).

Mark_F

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
Definitely try to play Woodlands, it doesn't get the press or status it deserves and is better than Victoria in my opinion though I may be the only person who holds that view?!

No, anyone with a modicum of intelligence would hold that view as well.  :o

Ian Andrew

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
Definitely try to play Woodlands, it doesn't get the press or status it deserves and is better than Victoria in my opinion though I may be the only person who holds that view?!
[/quote]

I share that view and feel it is a must play - one of the highlights of my trip.

But I also really liked Commonwealth too and would play there before Vic - so I'm probaly a little out there with my opinion.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 02:57:02 AM »
Kyle, which did you prefer? Golf in Scotland or golf in Australia?

There was an ancient magic to the courses in Scotland. It holds the edge in history and ambience. Heck, aside from Gleneagles and the drive to Aberdeen from Dornoch, I was hardly ever more than a mile from the sea.  I also had warmer weather there than Australia (!!!).

However, down under, I had a great many indescribably generous and enjoyable Australian hosts/friends. David Elvins is a prince. So many -- Brian, Shane, Andrew, Mark, Brett, Richard, Scott, David Michael and Daniel, just to name a few -- rolled out the red carpet for this simple hack. I got to play golf with Terry T, Bill B, Tyler I, Sven N, Derek S, The Judge, Von Kiser, Mike W, and many other dignitaries of the game. And to top things off,  40 of our GCA compatriots joined the party in Tasmania.

My Scottish experience could not be surpassed, yet it was in Australia. So as Yogi Berra might say, given a choice between the two, do both.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:54:46 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 03:37:39 AM »
Kyle,
You write,
"My Scottish experience could not be surpassed, yet it (the best experience) was in Australia. So as Yogi Berra might say, given a choice between the two, do both."

And so say all of us!

As an immigrant Scot in Australia I have just applied for citizenship after 42 years!!! My sceptical and scathing Aussie friends are now committed to throwing a very big party for me which they all agreed to 11 years ago. To usher in the new millennium they threw me in our swimming pool in the hope that this baptism would convert me. Well it did!

Glad you have  such wonderful memories of two places in the world that have  a special place in my heart.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mark_F

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
As an immigrant Scot in Australia I have just applied for citizenship after 42 years!!!

Welcome to Australia Colin, you pommy bastard.  ;D

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
Kyle, which did you prefer? Golf in Scotland or golf in Australia?

There was an ancient magic to the courses in Scotland. It holds the edge in history and ambience. Heck, aside from Gleneagles and the drive to Aberdeen from Dornoch, I was hardly ever more than a mile from the sea.  I also had warmer weather there than Australia (!!!).

However, down under, I had a great many indescribably generous and enjoyable Australian hosts/friends. David Elvins is a prince. So many -- Brian, Shane, Andrew, Mark, Brett, Richard, Scott, David Michael and Daniel, just to name a few -- rolled out the red carpet for this simple hack. I got to play golf with Terry T, Bill B, Tyler I, Sven N, Derek S, The Judge, Von Kiser, Mike W, and many other dignitaries of the game. And to top things off,  40 of our GCA compatriots joined the party in Tasmania.

My Scottish experience could not be surpassed, yet it was in Australia. So as Yogi Berra might say, given a choice between the two, do both.

Kyle, you need to put England as a high priority - you will receive full travelling dignitary treatment I assure you!

I doubt it. Word of my character flaws is now spreading from 3 English-speaking provinces.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 02:32:01 AM »

I share that view and feel it is a must play - one of the highlights of my trip.

But I also really liked Commonwealth too and would play there before Vic - so I'm probaly a little out there with my opinion.
[/quote]

Ian

I am one that agrees with you on both counts re: Woodlands and Commonwealth v Vic

James Bennett

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 03:44:38 AM »
As an immigrant Scot in Australia I have just applied for citizenship after 42 years!!!

Welcome to Australia Colin, you pommy bastard.  ;D

Mark

in my experience, POM's are English.  Colin is of Scottish heritage, so I don't consider him a POM.

James B

ps  the lists above are all excellent, and don't need my comment.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back