News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Re:Best Setting in Golf?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »
Verandah at Barnbougle Dunes
Big Room in the R&A
Bay window of the New Golf Club, St Andrews
Main bar at New South Wales
Clubhouse at Crail

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
This the deck at Musgrove Mill GC.  It is my absolute favorite place to play and be.  It is just to blooming far from my home so I only get there two or three times a year.The view of is looking out at 18 on the left and nine on the right.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:09:14 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

R_Paulis

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »
Standing on #11 green at La Purismia, when out of the corner of my eye I see an enourmous structure moving vertically. A lift off of some type of rocket/missle from nearby Vandenburg. Moments later the deep rumble reaches the course and continues for several minutes. Likely not the best setting, but perhaps the most unique.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 05:26:45 PM »
Sitting on the veranda at Spanish Bay with a cocktail at sunset listening to the bagpipes after a round at either Pebble or Spyglass can be a good end to a day and bring anticipation for the next days round .

Mark_Fine

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
It does not get any better than this!  

J_ Crisham

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 05:46:32 PM »
Mark, Is that the view from outside ClubIX?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 05:49:02 PM »
Sitting in the room I had at The Old Course Hotel overlooking the 17th and back towards the R&A Club House...

Eric Olsen

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »
Playing 16 at Bandon Dunes as the sun sets, then playing 17 and 18 in twilight.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
5th tee on the River Course at Kohler in the fall. . . leaves turned, huge salmon following some sort of genetic instruction to swim back up the river, elevated tee shot over the river, elevated green 400 yards to the east, to be followed by an incredible nine holes on this side of the property.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »
Jack,
That is the view from my room at The Lodge.
Mark

J_ Crisham

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 06:30:23 PM »
Mark, I've been to Pebble 4times (proposed to my wife the last time) but have not stayed at the lodge. Always at Spanish Bay. Any advice as to comparing the two for my next visit in May2008.

KBanks

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
This the deck at Musgrove Mill GC.  It is my absolute favorite place to play and be.  It is just to blooming far from my home so I only get there two or three times a year.The view of is looking out at 18 on the left and nine on the right.

Tommy,

Musgrove Mill is surely one of the special retreats in golf.

Ken

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »
Maybe here?

You might see one or two of these

or these

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mark_Fine

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 07:27:07 PM »
Jack,
Spanish Bay accomodations are nice but you really can't beat staying at The Lodge.  

Sam Morrow

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »
I am not as well traveled as many here but it's a special feeling stepping onto the first tee at Colonial and walking over and touching the Wall of Champions

Mike Boehm

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »
I was in awe of the view from the Bandon Trails clubhouse, looking from up high over the 1st and 18th holes of the Trails in the dunes, and with a few holes from Bandon Dunes and the ocean in the distance.  Breathtaking.  If that view doesn't get you excited for a round of golf, I don't know what will.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2007, 11:31:12 PM »
Padraig -

Hans Merensky?  Leopard Creek?  Gary Player / Lost City?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 06:05:09 AM »
Jason

It's Leopard Creek, back of the 13th hole looking out
onto the Crocodile river and the Kruger National Park,
one of my friends even saw a lion kill a buck there once.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

JESII

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 09:21:47 AM »
"Where would I most want to be sitting having a pint and looking at the golf course I just played?"

In the context of the original post...I have to put the back patio at Shinnecock on th etable.

I've not been to CPC or Sand Hills so I cannot compare them, but in terms of sitting down for a drink after a round it's pretty tough to beat the porch at Shinnecock.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:22:04 AM by JES II »

tlavin

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »
My personal favorite would be in the card room at LA Country Club.  The setting works for me because it is a classic club with two great golf courses smack dab in the middle of a busy city scene.  The confluence of my two favorite things: quiet golf to be followed by busy nightlife.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 01:39:27 PM »
As far as an overall setting for golf, I will take the Meadow Club.  It is surrounded by watershed property on 3 sides and a cliff on the 4th.  I have never felt so secluded in an urban environment.  Also it has a Gazebo/Grill that is passed 4 times in the round.
Bandonistas Unite!!!

tlavin

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 01:45:52 PM »
I am not as well traveled as many here but it's a special feeling stepping onto the first tee at Colonial and walking over and touching the Wall of Champions

Excellent suggestion.  How about Cherry Hills in Denver, with the Arnold Palmer plaque by the tenth hole which he drove en route to winning the US Open?  Not too shabby either.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 03:00:53 PM »
Give me a glass of Scotch (sorry, Rihc; whisky) on the patio of a cabin at Sutton Bay, looking across the wide Missouri (a.k.a. Lake Oahe).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:01:52 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony Petersen

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
Sitting on the back porch of the restaurant after inhaling a Peppercorn Ribeye is always serene. When it happens to be at Sand Hills, it only gets better ;)

My second nomination would be the verranda on the back-side of the golf shop at The Broadmoor in C. Springs. On a warm summer morning, with the dew on the grass and the sun peaking thru the foliage, the place absolutely reaks of classic golf and the fun to be had

Finally, what about sharing a cognac and tales on the back porch of the cabins at Sand Hills. No golf in the immediate vicinity, but the Dismal River runs hard by the cabins and the 1st tee is less than 1 mile away ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Bruce Katona

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
On the back veranda of of the clubhouse off the 18th at Kapalua Plantation Course at sunset with a mai tai.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back