News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

How about them Elks?
« on: January 03, 2002, 01:54:59 PM »
It occurs to me that there seems to be a large number of golf courses associated in various relationships with the Benevolent Order of Elks Clubs.  I doubt there is any better Elks club course than Southern Pines, home course of golf's most beloved figure, (or is that "character")?  

From what I can observe, the Elks club courses in US and Canada generally are modest courses, either 9 or very short 18 holers, many built in very early part of 20th century.  In recent years, the Elks seem to be selling them off.  They are ussually run as semi-private, open to public with advance request.  Even the outstanding Ross course is very reasonably priced there at SP.  Other than a bunch of jolly corkers, who revere an 11 0'clock toast to their departed members, what is it with the strong relationship of Elks and Golf, or is it the drinkin part that bonds the passtime?  I know I had a very enjoyable time laughin and drinkin and talkin smart at SP with members in their basement bar of Elks lodge and was tempted to apply for membership on the spot!  :o

Can anyone identify other Elks courses of GCA merit?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re: How about them Elks?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 02:00:06 PM »
Dick, I beleive Lu Lu Temple was part of the Masonic Temple. Hopefully Steve can address this.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 03:35:01 PM »
RJ,
The Highlands course in Grand Rapids, Mi., is another DR designed Elk's golf course. I have heard it is very challenging and in excellent condition. Perhaps a rival for SP?
A few friends who are Elks tell me that many of the lodges maintain relationships at some very good courses, even if the lodge does not own the property.
The B.P.O.E. was founded in 1868 in New York as a drinking club by a group of actors in an informal drinking society called the Jolly Corks, formed in 1866 to circumvent New York law that closed saloons on Sundays. Additionally, the Elks, like virtually all other orders, were a white Anglo-Saxon protestant-only organization until recent years.
So, a bunch of white guys who liked to drink and who probably had lots of free time on their hands due to their profession choose golf? Figures. ;D  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 07:59:33 PM »
Last summer I had the good fortune to play the Colville Elks course, nine holer, in far NE Washington State.  Very fun course, fast, 300 yd first hole with elevated tee, 460 yard 3rd hole.  Good variety.  They are building a back nine, so life is good for the Colville Elks!

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2002, 06:31:25 AM »
The beautiful and challenging Emerald Hills GC in Redwood City, CA is indeed attached to an Elks Lodge.  I used to play it so often they invited me to join the Elks... never did, oh well.

It's a 9-hole par 3 not fitting into this conversation at all, but when did that ever stop me?

To its merit, it does have one whole the esteemed Mr. Papazian included in his "unsung wholes of San Mateo County" list....

TH

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2002, 07:32:38 AM »

The state of Oklahoma has 2 Elks Golf and Country Clubs, one a 9 hole course in Altus
and another one in Shawnee originally designed by Perry Maxwell and expanded to 18 holes.
Both are private courses. Golf and drinking do seem to go hand in hand.

Bill Steele

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2002, 09:23:30 AM »
In Southern Ohio, approximately 90 miles south of Columbus, the Portsmouth Elks have a Donald Ross 18 hole design. Pretty interesting on a scenic piece of property and about $30 for those not of their ilk...er, Elk.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2002, 01:35:53 PM »
One of the first courses I played a couple times shortly after I started playing the game in earnest was the Latrobe Elks in Latrobe, PA.  18 hole layout that I dont remember much details of.  I recall it being a decent course (at least for a guy who was still trying to figure out how to put the club on the ball).

What am I saying 12 years later and I am still trying to figure out how to put the club on the ball.

Daryl
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2002, 07:19:57 PM »
 Three Rivers Golf Course in Kelso, Washington is an interesting geologic result.  The ground was created by the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 1980 as volcanic ash came rushing down the rivers to be deposited high above the banks at the point where they enter into the Columbia River.  The ground was virtually a moonscape of sandy ash.  It drains like the dickens and would be a prime example of links soil with inland surrounds.  BUT(!!!), they turned it into an arbor test and its potential was sadly relegated to parkland alleyways with cookie cutter greens with bunkers 5 yards away at most greens. Was this some kind of 'designed-for-drunks' playability idea?  RM Graves did this one.  It's got some fun stuff and the greens are usually open in front - I like that - but this site, with its clean slate could have been a real links gem.  It gets my Underachievement Award.  

BPOE means Best People On Earth.  (So I'm told.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2002, 07:28:12 PM »
Slag, your absence around here has been all too obvious.  Where were you, rooting on the Ducks? After last night, no doubt they are #2!  :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Slag Bandoon

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2002, 11:40:52 PM »
Yea, I've been working a lot; 21 of last 24 days and homefront projects galore.  Energy reserves low.  Impulse power only.  

We're # 2!!!  We are proud of them but I think I speak for the team (and most of the nation?) that I wish it would have been Miami vs. Oregon for the national championship in Pasadena.  It would have made a better show, anyway.  Nevertheless, Miami has a great team and deserves the #1 spot.    Salute!  (I'll drink to anything)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back