News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

John Mayhugh

Because there's no way once is enough.  

With the Australian Open last week and the President’s Cup coming up, I’m inspired to get over my laziness and post some photos from my Boomerang trip earlier this year.  After seeing Kyle Henderson’s photos, I’ve been somewhat ashamed of posting mine, but here goes.

For most Americans, I suppose a trip to Australia begins in Sydney.  Mine started there as well, though all I did was arrive from the US and head over to New South Wales for a shower, lunch, and a round. My sightseeing in Sydney ended up occurring on my last day in Australia, but I’m going to go ahead and start with a bit of the city.

Sydney is just as attractive as you think it will be from the photos.  Here’s a view of the harbor and opera house from the Sydney Harbor Bridge.

And a look at the bridge, taken from a ferry.

I guess most visitors want to be sure and see marsupials when they visit Australia.  The safest bet is to visit the excellent Taronga Zoo.

You can see:
Kangaroos, like this mother & her joey.

Tasmanian devils, not much like the cartoon.

Koala bears

And the wombat.  

I really wanted to see a dingo, but the zoo did not have one.  Already a reason to return!  I wish I had visited the zoo at the beginning of the trip, as this is some useful information.

After leaving the zoo, I had a short look around Sydney.  With only a day to spend in the city, I could barely do it justice.  Overlooking the harbor is this statue of William Bligh, who got kicked out of New South Wales years after getting kicked off his boat.  

The observatory was worth a look around.  I was fascinated to see that the park surrounding it seemed to be personal training central, with all sorts of people setting up shop. Wish I had taken a photo or two.

Sydney hospital and their replica of the Florentine Il Porcellino statue.  I gave the snout a rub, hoping it would mean a return trip to Sydney soon.

Parliament House was cool.

Gorgeous Bondi Beach.

Healthy eats are available.

But it’s not cheap to wash them down!  Our $ was very close to 1:1 with theirs, and though I picked Budweiser as an example, all the beers were similarly priced.

My visit to New South Wales was pretty jet-lagged, as I really cannot sleep on a plane.  However, the course was plenty eye opening.  First, it’s important to get the dress code right.  Shorts are OK, but hide those ankles.

A couple of odd golf tee selections.  I actually bought a super tee and liked it, but lost it in some tall grass at Cavendish.  No brush tees in sight.

Kyle posted an excellent photo tour here.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f53f884daa4ae297012cf3c753a53ca6&topic=48698.0

I’ll just share a few photos and my thoughts.  Fortunately, we were hosted by an accomplished player, GCA’s Michael Taylor.

He would not have wanted me as a foursomes partner that day.  It didn’t help that I was taking his suggested lines from the tee, and hitting it about 2/3 the distance he did.

The skyline 3rd green is a highlight.

I really liked the site of the green on the 4th. I thought this was a nice transition hole on less thrilling land.  It seemed that many of the greens were perched on hills, and this one was really understated.

This view from the 5th fairway overlooking the Tasman Sea is incredible.

As is the tee shot on the 6th.  

As gorgeous as NSW can be, it seems that it would be even better with some of the growth cut back, as a number of fairways are lined on each side.

The approach to the 13th, with a glimpse of the entrance to Botany Bay behind it.

The wild fairway on the fantastic 14th.

NSW also introduced my least course feature in Australia – the spare hole.  While I do not mind the idea, I think it makes it too easy for staff to tinker with the course as holes can be taken out of play rather easily.  It seems like NSW has been victimized a bit by that sort of freedom.

Overall, I really enjoyed New South Wales, but also think the course could be even better in the right hands.  Amazing that one can say that about a course so highly rated.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:12:44 PM by John Mayhugh »

Kevin Pallier

Re: Australia - not a once in a lifetime trip
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:39:32 PM »
John

Some good tourist snaps in there - though surely you could do better than a "bud" ?  ;D

What was your favourite Aussie beer - Coopers ? VB ? New ? Crown ? XXXX ? Boags ?

Some good snaps of NSW though you've duplicated the 7th instead of the 13th. Am not convinced with your statement about "spare holes" ?

PS: Look forward to seeing you back "down under" sometime - hopefully soon....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:27 PM »
John

Some good tourist snaps in there - though surely you could do better than a "bud" ?  ;D

What was your favourite Aussie beer - Coopers ? VB ? New ? Crown ? XXXX ? Boags ?

Some good snaps of NSW though you've duplicated the 7th instead of the 13th. Am not convinced with your statement about "spare holes" ?

PS: Look forward to seeing you back "down under" sometime - hopefully soon....

The Budweiser was selected to give friends back home a point of reference, though I didn't drink any.  I liked Cascade Premium the most of any brand I tried.

Thanks for letting me know about the photo duplication.  I fixed that.  Problem with not having a preview function on posts.  As to spare holes, they aren't the cause of evil-doing, but may make it easier to do.

I'll be back by 2015, hopefully sooner.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
Thanks John - I look forward to seeing the rest of your snaps and I'm sure you'll throw a dog one in sooner or later :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:16:03 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
Good stuff John.  Thanks for posting and sharing.

I'll take a Boag's while you're in that cooler.  Thanks...  ;D

And the locksmith pic?  ::)

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
That dress code thing is confusing.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
John,
Oz is a certainly a great place and I wouldn't be anywhere else for quids.
Your photos brought back many happy memories of when I first fetched up in Old Sydney Town in 1969. My girlfriend at the time worked in Sydney Hospital. I was amused to see, judging by the reflections in your photograph, that the porcine figure outside is still having another part of it's anatomy rubbed from time to time! Those Sydney nurses...I don't know!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:17 AM »
I spent 7 years there, and I still didn't get a chance to do everything I wanted (like play Royal and KH).

But that's what dual citizenships are for, right? :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 02:54:31 AM »
Looking forward to seeing more, John.

The expense of Australia isn't as straightforward as it appears and hard to compare at times.

A $100 meal in Aus (no taxes or tip to add) costs about the same all told as a $75-$80 meal in the US once you add the tax and tip.

Alcohol is expensive here, no doubt.

A schooner (425ml) of beer will cost around $5 in a major city -- a bit less in low-rent joints and more in posh spots.

A six-pack of decent beer is going to be $17+

A case (24 bottles) of 330ml bottles of beer you're looking at $35-40 for wifebeater beer and $50+ for the posh stuff. Not uncommon for posh European stuff to be $65 a case.

But transport is fairly cheap, comparitively.

Petrol is cheaper than in the UK, but more expensive than the US.

Food at a grocery store is much of a muchness, I reckon, though as a Pepsi max addict I take exception to paying $4+ for a 600ml bottle at a servo (gas station) or general store.

Part of the major issue is that wages are higher here than most anywhere else, so the cost of living for residents is fairly good, and where we used to be a cheap holiday for Americans getting AU$1.40 for their dollar, it isn't as affordable at one for one.

But with Patrick Kiser revealing a long weekend at Bandon cost him the same as two weeks Down Under, maybe we really are a cheap place to visit for great golf!

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:02:04 AM »
Fantastic stuff John, thanks for posting.
H.P.S.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »
Kevin,
If you meant dog as in canine, nowhere near as many of those as in England.

Patrick,
Boag's was fine as well.  As for the requested photo, coming up before long.

Colin,
Maybe that's for a different type of luck?!

Scott,
Agreed that something like the Big Mac index doesn't work all that well in Australia.  Some things (beer, soft drinks) seem wildly expensive, while others (transport, golf) aren't.  Overall, the cost of visiting is still reasonable, especially Barbougle.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:10:02 AM »
John, interestingly, the understated 4th green at NSW has been pushed up a few feet and a massive bunker constructed to it's right. Fairway bunkers have been added and it looks like the fairway has been re-shaped.  

The idea to move away from this understated feel on 4 must have been thought up on a calm day (or from Florida).

@Pure_Golf

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
John:

Looking forward to your picture of a Map of Tassie.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Thanks for the photos John. I'll agree that Oz offers great people, wonderful food, fantastic cities, a great climate and world class golf. Their beer however, is for the most part insipid; weak, watery lagers, which might be refreshing after mowing your lawn but fail to satisfy someone's hunger for a real ale. Next time try to find some Little Creatures Pale Ale, not world class but it at least offers some dry hopping. In a pinch Coopers Pale Ale with the yeast at the bottom of the bottle will do just fine.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:47:44 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
Am not convinced with your statement about "spare holes" ?
Kevin,
I agree with John. In the 4 years between my trip to Australia in 2007 and my trip earlier this year every course that I revisited with the exception of Barnbougle and SAB had been changed.  Now a lot of the changes I saw and heard being discussed for the future are for the better but that is mostly because a lot of the new work is fixing what was messed up about earlier changes in the golf courses.

Just thinking of the trip earlier this year - there were holes out of commission at Kingston Heath, Metropolitan, and NSW and there was working going on at RM both West and East and work recently completed at Yarra Yarra. Also Victoria had been changed since I was originally there in 2007 and when I was at Commonwealth previously they had just finished controversial work. On my only play at Royal Adelaide in 2007 there was one hole out of play.

Having said all that, I still think a Sandbelt golf trip, especially when combined with a trip to Tasmania is the best golf trip someone from the USA can take.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
Scott,

I found it very dangerous for an Australian who likes a bargain to travel to the US.  Every time I saw a pint of beer for $2 I had to buy it.  I would walk in to a shop to buy a bottle of water and walk out with a can of beer.
The reason for the expensive alcohol in Australia is government taxes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:02:28 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »
Forget the pints...

Go for the Magnums!!!   ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
DK,

The only hole that was out of play at KH in March was the spare hole. We just played them in a strange order (from memory it was 1, 12-18, 7-11, 2-6).

But generally your point is a very good one. Having travelled widely in the US, what % of top clubs have a spare hole?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
John, interestingly, the understated 4th green at NSW has been pushed up a few feet and a massive bunker constructed to it's right. Fairway bunkers have been added and it looks like the fairway has been re-shaped.  

That's unfortunate.

Sven,
Not on this site!

Pete,
I'll keep those in mind.

David K,
From the west coast, the trip to Australia is probably best.  Tough to say living a few hours further east, as England, Scotland, & Ireland are terrific as well.

David E,
That explains why you guys drink so much!

Scott,
I've seen spare holes in the US, but they are not common at all. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
After finishing up at NSW, it was back to the airport and on to Melbourne, finishing up about a 48 hour stretch awake.  But that didn’t keep me from being ready to see Royal Melbourne the next morning.

A modern, somewhat underwhelming entrance.

“Hedges” on steroids hide a car park and tennis courts from the entrance drive.

Along the entrance drive is this display of tools from the construction of the courses.  Fascinating, though I wonder how many visitors even notice it.

The clubhouse and locker rooms are modern and bit on the bland side.  Royal Melbourne didn’t seem at all pretentious, though.  Can you imagine a room where people can clean and polish their own shoes at a top US club?

The large putting green is about as centrally located as can be.

Somehow, I don’t see Tiger using this spot for his warm-up.

In Australia, buggies refer to pull carts (or trolleys), while in the UK buggies are riding carts.  Shaw might have included another country in his separated by a common language line.  Not sure if this buggy restriction is always the case at RM, as I can recall reading that rolling them across the greens was encouraged at one time.

Having a buggy is a good idea as you’ll need that to carry along your supply of sand.  Nice to not be much of a divot taker.

All that sand can make a mess.

Which way to go from here?

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
Amazing that they thought to keep the plough and scoop, really. Let alone pop them on display.

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »
My visit to New South Wales was pretty jet-lagged, as I really cannot sleep on a plane.  However, the course was plenty eye opening.  First, it’s important to get the dress code right.  Shorts are OK, but hide those ankles.

I loved those complicated dress codes in Australia, especially the ones with pictures.  Short and sock length seem to have the most stringent requirements.  For shorts, the photographs of "too short" and "too long" are not real instructive other than the commonsense reaction that one should wear normal golf shorts and not screw around.  With respect to socks, there is a general requirement not to wear ankle socks but clubs seem to be making an exception for such socks with a club logo.  Also - I am a little concerned about the term "Skivvy" which is slang for underwear in the U.S.

Here are some web versions of the guidelines:

Kingston Heath:  http://www.kingstonheath.com.au/guests/etiquette/dress.mhtml

Victoria:  http://www.victoriagolf.com.au/layouts/mp_standard/Template.aspx?page=DRESS+RULES

Commonwealth has a brochure:  http://www.huntingdalegolf.com.au/upload/wysiwyg/golf_dresscode/Dress%20Code%20Pamphlet.pdf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
Amazing that they thought to keep the plough and scoop, really. Let alone pop them on display.

Probably kept them around in case any changes were needed?   :D

Jason,
Next trip to Australia, I'm making sure to bring plenty of white ankle-covering socks.  Everything else I have is compliant.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
We started out with the East, and the 1st hole provides a perfect introduction to the Sandbelt.  The somewhat blind tee shot is intimidating, even though it’s to one of the widest fairways one will ever see.  It’s shared with the 8th on the West course (and, for that matter, RMW 9th as well).  In the middle, though, is a massive bunker complex.  The steep right to left slope of the fairway makes you feel the need to play closer to the bunker.

I loved the green complex on 1.  It’s one of my favorites on either course.  Note the run-off/hollow in front.

From behind the green looking back at the enormous width and slope in front.  Lots of great hole locations possible on this green.

The tee shot on 2 was as awkward as any I experienced on the trip.  An accurate cut is called for on this long, uphill par 4, though the right side is dangerous due to thick rough.  President’s Cup players will have a bit more help spotting balls than we had.

From the green looking back at the fairway.  The tee is considerably left of the bunkers on the left.

The 3rd also doglegs to the right, though in this case it seemed better to be on the outside of the dogleg to approach the two-tiered green.

The long, uphill par three 4th is an attractive hole, though you wouldn’t know it from my single photo.  

To get to the 5th tee, it’s necessary to leave the so-called paddock and cross Reserve Road.  A similar road crossing (Cheltenham Rd.) on the West is the original reason for using a composite course for tournament play.

The holes on the east side of the road get far less attention, but I thought they were still quite good.  The short par 4 5th features a blind tee shot.

Great front to back tilt on this green.  Perfect for defending a short hole.

The par 3 6th.

Though you wouldn’t suspect it from the earlier photos, these holes on the East are closely surrounding by housing.  Overall, the course does a good job of hiding it.

The par 5 7th is open to a run-up approach if you’re coming from the correct angle.

The par 4 9th doglegs right, with a difficult approach to this narrow green.

Stunning cross bunkering complicates a lay-up shot on the par 5 10th.

The 11th features a huge landing area

With a very narrow opening in the front of the green.  Note the tilt of the green.

The approach to the long 12th.

The short par 3 13th is a nice use of a not-so useful piece of the property.

After the 14th, its back across the road to the main portion of the property.  The short 16th doesn’t allow much room to miss, and may be the best par 3 on either course.

The huge 18th fairway, with the clubhouse to the right of the green.  Practice ground is to the right of this fairway.

I’m really sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but hopefully this provides some sense of the East course.  I think it’s quite good in its own right, as it features many outstanding holes.  Too bad it’s known (at least in the US) primarily for contributing to a tournament composite course.  I would gladly play RME any chance I got.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:50:15 PM by John Mayhugh »

Pete Lavallee

John,

Thanks for the photos, looks to be a fun course. The 4th and 6th look amazingly alike! ;D
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back