News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Exceeding Expectations- Par 3's.
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »
  In my thread about Exceeding Expectations we got lots of talk about courses but now I am curious to hear about the holes that exceeded your expectations because they were under the radar.

This year I have played 2 par 3's that I never expected to be as good as they were. The first is 6 at Pines Dunes in Frankston, Texas. While Pine Dunes is considered one of the best in Texas I think it's far better than anyone realizes until they play it. The par 3 6th is a great example, it's a par 3 that plays 250ish from the back tee and straight downhill. The holes played about a club shorter for me and you can throw it out short right and feed it onto the green. There is a pond left and I hesitate to call it a Redan but it's such a cool hole. I wish I had a picture.

The other par 3 I would add is the 4th at Pensacola Country Club, instead of writing my own description I will post the link that Bill wrote here. http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/pensacola-country-club/

Two awesome par 3's on courses that we don't talk about much on this site.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Exceeding Expectations- Par 3's.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
Some great par-3s on courses we don't talk about too much:

Orchard Lake - Hole 7, 13.  13 in particular is fantastic use of land with the green perched above a 30 foot dropoff to the right of the green.

Carolina GC - Hole 3 - Long and hard, with clever bunkering and a very difficult green.  Not entirely unique to Ross, but a very good hole.

Sebonack - Hole 12.  The downhill version of Shinny's 11th, but with water in the background.

Dormie - Hole 12.  110 yards, with a unique tee box and a green that is subtle but oh so difficult.

... there are lots more

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
Some great par-3s on courses we don't talk about too much:

Orchard Lake - Hole 7, 13.  13 in particular is fantastic use of land with the green perched above a 30 foot dropoff to the right of the green.

Carolina GC - Hole 3 - Long and hard, with clever bunkering and a very difficult green.  Not entirely unique to Ross, but a very good hole.

Sebonack - Hole 12.  The downhill version of Shinny's 11th, but with water in the background.

Dormie - Hole 12.  110 yards, with a unique tee box and a green that is subtle but oh so difficult.

... there are lots more

What is unique about the tee box on 12 at Dormie?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
Sam, the tee box is tiered.  The back tee is actually lower than the forward sets.  It is an interesting concept, one I have never seen before, but one that makes a lot of sense. 

If the back tees are always at a higher elevation than the other sets, they get a visual advantage as well as minimizing the impact of their added distance.

Here's a picture:

And while I'm at it, a couple of pictures of the 13th at Orchard Lake:

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
Gibraltar at Moortown, Leeds.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
The 9th at Franklin Hills.  Even from the back tees, it is just a mid iron at 174 yards, but it plays to a wild greenfronted by two of the deepest traps on the course.  A lot of great pin positions on that green.  Wish I had a picture of it.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
Mike,

All of the par-3 at Franklin Hills are exceptional.  I find it really hard to pick a favorite.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Mark!

Pete Balzer

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »
Keystone Ranch #5

Brian Hilko

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 11:33:42 PM »
14 at Bowes creek 
Down with the brown

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »
17 at St George's was a fantastic short par 3 that surprised me.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Trey Kemp

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
Sam, here is a picture of hole 6 at Pine Dunes.  It was taken last winter so its not the greatest picture.

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:26 PM »
The 11th at Tumble Creek is fantastic.  Putting that par 3 on that ridgeline like that was sheer genuis!

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
#4 and 12 at Shennecossett
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
this one's pretty impressive the first time you see it in person:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
Four of the five par 3's [8, 12, 15, 17, IIRC] at Bald Peak Colony Golf Club in New Hampshire.  The weak sister is # 5, a dropshot par 3 that seems completely out of place.  The others are great and unique.

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
#4 and 12 at Shennecossett

+1 especially #4.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »
Exmoor, #7?  Can't remember the exact hole #.  Just remember being over by that tree!  :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back