News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

How classy is Kinloch?
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
My fellow Dixie Cuppers undoubtedly recall the "challenging" weather we faced in Richmond a few weeks back.  Here's my brief take on how a negative became a positive, thanks to the incredible service orientation that is one of this fine club's hallmarks:

http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/joel.zuckerman/2011/11/10/virginia-s-kinloch-is-nothing

Tim Gavrich

Re: How classy is Kinloch?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »
Cool anecdote, Joel.  My dad and I experienced a similar bit of generosity after playing Bull's Bay early this year.  We played on a chilly and rainy day and we were so happy to be inside and warm that when we left, we left our soggy golf shoes behind.  When my dad picked them back up a few weeks later, he found both pairs immaculately clean, with new spikes and laces.  True class from the folks at Bull's Bay.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »
Flew to Richmond one morning for a business  am meeting and was going to play Kinloch in the afternoon. My clubs did not make the trip, and Phil Owenby and his staff completely handled me in tern of shoes, clubs, clothes ....

Great guy, great staff, great club.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
Great little story, and shows you that they truly live up to their mission statement.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

David Royer

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »
Since coming home from the Dixie Cup the two things I have said about Kinloch is it's the real deal and if I could I would.  While the vibe is totally different than Ballyneal it has all the same attributes;  great course, great staff, great service. etc.  It's a must experience,.. not just just play.  Kudos to Lester and all the staff!

Ross Harmon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »
Very kind of them indeed! Heard nothing but great things about Kinloch - look forward to playing there one day!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Is anyone having problems with the link?

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »
I had the privilege of visiting Kinloch for a couple of days.  Met a member at a local member guest several years ago and he actually was insulted when I hadn't taken him up on the offer to vist and reminded each time we saw each other.

So when I finally did go it was a wonderful experience yet different than anything else I have experienced at a club.  Staff and members had a great relationship that was incredible service but nothing close to stuffy.  Really friendly and included a lot of back and forth razzing.  The other members couldn't have been nicer and when my host had a last minute commitment there were several members who volunteered to join me, explaining what a better time I would have without him:)

The day I got there, they had just finished a intercut match with some other clubs in Virginia and we ended up playing a few holes before dark as an 10 some as the members wanted me to see the course before we had dinner.  It was a blast and everyone was great.

When we got in for dinner the person behind the bar just asked what I wanted to eat.  Name it and they'll make it, no big deal as if it happened like that everywhere.  

The service from top to bottom couldn't have been better but was done in such a friendly low key manner it really left an impression on me and as President of my club at the time it really made me think about what makes a club great.

On top of the wonderful time the course conditions were superb and I really enjoyed the layout.

While I haven't played any of Richmond's other clubs but would like to see CC of Virgina as it seems old school southern to me which I like despite being a NY'er, I can't imagine not wanting to be a member of Kinloch if I was in the area.

I didn't inquire if they have a National membership but it certainly might be something I would consider if I could.

I have played plenty of top 100 courses and never had such a wonderful experience as a guest of any club than I did at Kinloch.  I did however over indulge on the chocolate chip cookies.

Dan

Great place.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:36 AM »
10.  Now I should read the responses.  If you haven't been there..

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 05:23:30 AM »
I played there with another GCAer on the way to Dixie Cup Pinehurst Edition.  We were unaccompanied guests and never have I been treated so well by an entire staff.  The man who runs the practice area greated me with a hug, really through me off!  After a while I realized it was genuine.  They did not wash my car, they detailed it!  Everybody knew our names and I mean everyone.  Best service I have seen anywhere.

The other thing is I spent two years living in central virginia and that is one hard place to grow grass.  Not to mention bent grass.  Kinloch was at the top end of the ten best conditioned courses I have ever played/walked.  Most good places around the are about a 5 in conditions and Kinloch when I saw it was 10+.

Honestly the conditioning and service were so great that I am not sure I really could wrap my mind around the architecture.  I just kept thinking I like the course well enough but everything else is so great that it elevates the course ratings a bit.  Hard to believe the same pair of guys developed Ballyhack as the esthetics are completely different but the vibe of the culture is the same.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »
Flew to Richmond one morning for a business  am meeting and was going to play Kinloch in the afternoon. My clubs did not make the trip, and Phil Owenby and his staff completely handled me in tern of shoes, clubs, clothes ....

Great guy, great staff, great club.

I'm sure had they realized they would need to throw away the shoes after you wore them they would have taken a different path.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 07:06:42 AM »
Sounds like a fine club....my friend there last year and said the conditioning was second to none. Can i just say(with a smile on my face), that if the range guy hugged me i would be shocked and i have lived in the US for 18 years. If my friends visited from England and a guy on the range hugged them it could get very awkward ;) ;D

The level of service in the pro shop was above and beyond....awesome.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »
Forget about the golf,staff and atmosphere is there anybody that doesn`t want to go for the man hug alone?

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »
Kinloch is one of the classiest joints I've stepped foot in.
@Pure_Golf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
10.  Now I should read the responses.  If you haven't been there..

The Dixie Cuppers loved it a couple of weeks ago, although the temperature never got over 42o and it pissed down rain all day.   

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »
Is anyone having problems with the link?

I can't open the link either?   I went to worldgolf.com but couldn't find it.  Help please.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
Here's the blog entry cut/pasted for those of you who are having trouble viewing it.

Virginia's Kinloch is nothing but class.

Let me tell a quick story about one of the classiest golf clubs in the nation—wonderful Kinloch, in Richmond, Virginia.  I had the good fortune of visiting this superb Lester George design a few weeks ago.  What was less fortunate was the weather that day—south of 40 degrees, misting and raw, although thankfully the pelting rain abated prior to tee time.
The caddy wanted to transfer my clubs and accoutrements to a Kinloch-issue carry bag for ease of transport, which was fine with me.  As a precaution I strapped my umbrella to the outside of the bag.  At round’s end, he assured me he would transfer everything back to my bag, but only upon arriving home to Savannah did I come to realize that the strapped-on umbrella never made it back to my personal bag.
I called the pro shop, they said they would find it and send it back.  Which they did.  Along with a second, brand-new, Kinloch-logo umbrella, which I guess was their way of apologizing for what was in essence a very minor inconvenience.
So a sincere thank you to classy Kinloch, and their top-notch Director of Golf, Phil Owenby, for going above and beyond in terms of service, and attention to detail. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
It's currently the first post (Nov. 10) on Joel's blog here:

http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/joel.zuckerman
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Thanks.

There are many many clubs that have nice facilities but it's the people and the service they provide that makes it memorable.

Medalist in Florida has a number of people who make everything wonderful.  It seems like the pro shop staff and the clubhouse/locker room staff are separate.  The locker room staff can arrange anything, they make you feel like a member.  Sounds like Kinloch is the same way.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
"Classy"
"Great atmosphhere"
"Great service"
"Great conditioning"
"Great experience"
"Great vibe"

Can't disagree with any of those comments, but am compelled to ask:  Why no comments on the greatness of the architecture?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
"Classy"
"Great atmosphhere"
"Great service"
"Great conditioning"
"Great experience"
"Great vibe"

Can't disagree with any of those comments, but am compelled to ask:  Why no comments on the greatness of the architecture?

Mike

I have never played a course with so many options off the tee, split fairways, and everyone seemed to work.   Usually there's one side that no one ever plays to, but not at Kinloch.  Really fun.   I'd love to play it when I could feel my fingers.   ;D

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
"Classy"
"Great atmosphhere"
"Great service"
"Great conditioning"
"Great experience"
"Great vibe"

Mike

It's just brillant. I think the numerous options off the tee makes it unique (with Ballyhack).
Subtle yet devious breaks on the greens. Great use of streams. A couple of "shaved" greenside/lakeside slopes to add to the fun.
I can't overly stress the options you have available to play certain holes.
A must play.

BVince

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 06:05:41 PM »
Kinloch is simply Magical and Mr. Phil Owenby deserves much credit for the hospitality of the Staff and the attention to detail that helps make it one of my favorite golfing locations of all time.  I am happy this thread exist to recognize the hard work all the staff puts into making it so special.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »
How classy is Kinloch?  Very.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
How classy is Kinloch?  Very.

And all of the above!  George and Giles have built an amazing course and Mr. Owenby deserves much credit for the fantastic hospitality.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back