News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

Re: Knoll Holes
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
I was looking forward for a Knoll hole at Old Macdonald - obviously didn't happen    :'(
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »
Olympia Fields South #6 is one of the best you'll ever play.  It's a beautiful short par-4, with a crooked creek in front of the green (90 yards out) that snakes toward the green and on the left.  To the right of the green is a steep dropoff that has long been dubbed "Hell's Kitchen", because it's really hot down there and it's hard to escape.  Perhaps Jeff Goldman can post a photo or two.  Tom Doak gave this hole some love in the Confidential Guide.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
I know that the 6th hole at Forsgate Banks is called Knoll...not sure though if it fits the knoll description

Tim Martin

Re: Knoll Holes New
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Tim,

Of course I defer to a member's greater knowledge of the course.

But while the water may not a factor strategically, I found with a wedge approach downhill off a sidehill lie, it was a challenge to control both distance and direction -- and of course that green will punish any error in either.

One of the most challenging/interesting approach shots on the course and I thought the water long was part of that.

I agree that you don`t want to hit it over the green on 14. I just don`t seem to see many shots that make it to that area unless it`s a skull. That said it is a really fun shot while the miss I see most often is short. Even a well struck short iron that finds the front of the green may spin and peel off and end up at the bottom of the slope.  When this happens I have taken to putting up the slope and onto the green rather than trying to flop or bump it up. The latter shots require young nerves. :P It really is a great short hole that requires some thinking on club selection and trajectory on the approach.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:42:45 PM by Tim Martin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back