News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Wartime losses and resurrections
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »
At this time of year we remember the dead of two world wars. Which golf courses (Addington No 2, perhaps) have been the greatest losses in architectural terms in either war, either through military action or economic disaster? Which courses (Kennemer, for example) have seen the most miraculous resurrections?

BCrosby

Re: Wartime losses and resurrections
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
Prince's.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
Mark -

Wouldn't Turnberry and Royal Dornoch make the resurrection list?

DT

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »

Sorry to be a bit off the question but when I get back to the Old World I'm going to rent a helicopter and fly through the Chunnel to Normandy and play golf on those hallowed grounds.

"Just a bit outside!"  Bob Eucker radio commentary quote from the movie "Major League"  (After a wild pitch by Wild Thing)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »
How about Askernish? Resurrection is a miracle :) The course and the experience is unbeatable!

Lester George

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »

Greenbrier - Old White

Lester

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
La Touquet La Mer perhaps... There must be a few around the north France / Holland / Belgium area...

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
Mark, interesting question.

I know Saunton must have taken some getting back to standard after the Second World War. This from the clubs website:

"In 1935 it was recognised that Saunton needed a second course and J.H. Fowler was again asked to design it. This new course is now known as the West Course.

However in 1939 a 2nd World War again 'interrupted play' and the courses and Clubhouse were occupied by the military until 1951. The whole area was extensively used as a battle training ground prior to the D-Day Landings and the Americans based a large number of tanks in the dunes.

As can be imagined, the Courses suffered immense damage during this period but the Green Staff and some German Prisoners-of-War had the East Course up-and-running by January 1952.

Meanwhile the West course was re-designed by Frank Pennink and re-opened in 1974. Further work however was required to bring the standard of the greens up to those of the East course and they were all re-laid in 1987-8."

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »
I've always found it interesting that Turnberry is hailed for Philip Mackenzie Ross's postwar resurrection, but that he gets the entire design credit for the course and nobody ever mentions who laid out the pre-war course or what part of it remains.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »
I've always found it interesting that Turnberry is hailed for Philip Mackenzie Ross's postwar resurrection, but that he gets the entire design credit for the course and nobody ever mentions who laid out the pre-war course or what part of it remains.

That's interesting.  Who did design the course, actually two courses?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »
Prince's.

Not for the better unfortunately.    I'll bet all those courses along the channel were torn up pretty good, Rye, Littlestone, Deal, Sandwich and Princes.   I think there's a major hollow near the left side landing area of the 18th at Rye that is credited to a Luftwaffe 500 pounder.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back