News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Blackwell Golf Club
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
i entertained a couple friends from England this past week at Musgrove Mill.  Among other places they are members at Blackwell.  Any of you play it?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul_Turner

Re: Blackwell Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
Tommy

Yes.  It's pretty good with some Simpson pinache.  The club ruined his grand bunkering recently though by turfing it down: the prime example being at the 10th.  Could do with some tree removal on the back 9.

Moderately undulating.  Some good use of streams and cool rolling greens.   Decent par 3s; I particularly liked the dropping one the 13th.  The course used to have the longest bunker in Britain at the 12th but I think Faldo/Smyer's beat it at Chart Hills.

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
Tommy

The bones of a very fine course are there.  The par 3s are very good.  Good use of water.  Interesting greens.  Trees have completely compromised the design.

#12 - the long bunker hole - par 5

#14 - an excellent hole turning left over the water.

Along with Little Aston, Blackwell is the most prestigious (as its over-priced £65 green fee is testament to) club in the greater Brum area - reknown for its wine cellar.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:37:21 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Tommy:

An old-money American friend of mine is a member of only one club in the UK, and Blackwell is it.

I could never understand it, and just figured it was because he knew a bunch of people there.  But, I saw Sean's photos a year or two ago, and it finally made sense.  A guy who's on the board at Piping Rock and Palmetto isn't going to belong to a mediocre course.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
Tom

It's a posh club!

If it was restored nicely it really would be a gem.  Some of the features of the course really reminded me of Simpson's Spa course in Belgium.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back