News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Homsey

re: Walter J. Travis course listing
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
I had resolved to end my participation in this thread because of my sense that it had become unproductive; basically, a rehash of issues that had been thoroughly discussed in emails between Tom and me a couple of years ago. I do not wish to go through all of that again.  His claim that I have "apparently done nothing to follow up...", is false.  I took his claims very seriously and, in fact, altered some of our entries, e.g. original design versus redesign, in response to his opinion/evidence.  On the other hand, I maintain that there can be some reasonable bases for disagreements when available information is not totally clear, or is in conflict, e.g. the specific date an activity took place.  The questions he raised about Ekwanok and Youngstown have not been resolved in my mind, but steps are being taken to do that.  It was only in the last week, or so, that I have been able to examine the documentation Tom cited about Youngstown.  It is convincing, and I will pursue that issue further.  I have also raised his questions with a key person at Ekwanok and expect resolution of that shortly.  I have no idea what Tom's concern is with our listing Pasadena Golf Club as a "Consultation".  We will drop the reference to Max Behr, because we have not been able to locate the documentation for that claim, but the other information we have, in the form of correspondence, makes the case for "consultation" very clearly and reliably.  I am very comfortable with the documentation available for Travis's involvement at Spring Brook.

That is my final word on this thread.  As I've said before, I welcome hearing from anyone interesting in this topic who has information that would be of help in developing an accurate listing of Travis's golf course projects and consultations.  Some have emailed with questions about some of our entries, sincerely interested in learning more about an entry.  Others have emailed documentation regarding some of the listings in question.  That kind of interest is welcomed, and met with an appreciative response.  I would welcome hearing from Tom, with documentation that supports his claims, such as he did with the Youngstown issue.

Ed

www.travissociety.com

DMoriarty

Re: re: Walter J. Travis course listing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »
I again see mention of "Pasadena Golf Club" and so I again want to clarify the nature of the Walter Travis consultation in Pasadena.

"Pasadena Golf Club" was not the Travis project.  Rather, "Pasadena Golf Club" was an already existing 18-hole private course designed by W. Watson around 1910 or 1911.  (Some portion of the course may still remain under a different name and ownership, but that is another story.)

The mid-1920's Travis consultation with the City of Pasadena (discussed in the other thread) has nothing to do with the "Pasadena Golf Club."  Travis discussed the possibility of the creation of a new, 9-hole, sand green golf course for the City of Pasadena.   A different project all together.

The confusion with the names is probably to be expected given that so far as I can tell the Travis course was never built, and I am not sure it ever even had a name.

Again, I have absolutely no issue the Travis group listing uncompleted consultation projects as such.  In fact I agree that such projects may lead to a better understanding of any designer and applaud Mr. Homsey's efforts at creating a thorough list. 

My reason for clarifying is only my concern that the Travis project may be inadvertantly confused with either W. Watson's  "Pasadena Golf Club" which predated it, and/or with W.P. Bell's  "Pasadena Municipal" (now called "Brookside") which postdated it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:34:41 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

don_bartlett

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »
Lookout Point in Fonthill Ontaro (near Niagara Falls) is a Walter Travis design. 

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
I believe Troy Country Club in Troy, NY is a Travis design.

Dan

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
Guys, before this gets out of hand and every member of GCA lists one Travis course, go to http://travissociety.com/who-was-travis/golf-course-architect/ to see a list of his courses.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ed Homsey

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Lookout Point CC's golf course is a wonderful Travis design.  Some modifications have been made to the original design, but it's basic integrity as a Travis course has been beautifully preserved.

In response to Mr. Moriarty's comments concerning Pasadena, our listing of "Pasadena Golf Club" as a Travis consultation will be changed to Pasadena Municipal Golf Course.  That consultation should not have been listed as Pasadena Golf Club.  We have no record that the course under discussion was ever constructed.  But, we have the correspondence with the Pasadena Office of the Manager about a proposed municipal golf course, and a NY Time April 17, 1922 item about Travis being delegated to design a municipal course.  

I notice some posts coming in about Lookout Point CC and CC of Troy.  If you check our blogsite, www.travissociety.com, you will see both listed.  CC of Troy, of course, was the last of his projects to be visited by Travis.  The original layout was drawn by Travis in August 1926, and the course was under construction during the summer of 1927.  Travis wrote a letter, at the end of June, 1927, to his contractor, J. S. Melville, making arrangements fo an inspection of the course, including a "fairly comfortably arm-chair in which one can perhaps arrange to sleep.  Lying down chokes Me".  He expected that some of Melville's men would drive him from hole to hole, and that after a few days, "I'll get Mrs. Orvis to run me up to Manchester, from where my son-in-law, George N. Emroy, will bring me back home, and a few days later will find me bound Westward Ho!".  He died July 31, 1927 in Denver.  Both Lookout Point CC and CC of Troy are highly valued Member Clubs of the Travis Society.

Thanks, Ron. 

Ed Homsey

www.travissociety.com

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »
Guys, before this gets out of hand and every member of GCA lists one Travis course, go to http://travissociety.com/who-was-travis/golf-course-architect/ to see a list of his courses.

Apologize I first looked for a listing but on my iPad I couldn't find a course listing.  Thanks for posting it.  I had to cancel an opportunity to play Ekwanok last fall.  I heard is a very interesting place and the rest of my group really enjoyed it.

Dan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back