News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Viscusi

Re: New Member Intro (Another Philly Guy)
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 10:36:39 AM »
Mike, I am from Northeast Philly.  Not many memorable public courses over here.  The only thing that is good about NE philly (other than a few nice female bartenders sprinkled about) is our proximity to I-95, a good escape route to shore golf.

Yea, I guess there's not much public golf to speak of around there.  Was Island Green near you? 

I lived in the Torresdale area for the first 5 years or so of my life, down the road from Torresdale-Frankford CC.

John Shimony

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
I presently live in Torresdale and am a member at Torresdale Frankford.  Do you still have family around here?  I'm pretty sure there are other Viscusi's around these parts.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Kyle Harris

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
Darnit.

I thought we could keep the CR arrogance off this board. There that goes.

Kyle Harris
William Tennent Class of 2001.

haha...it's nice to meet you too, Kyle...I've never actually met someone who admitted they went to William Tennent.  For those that are unaware, Tennent is like the Merion West to Council Rock's East Course...

Is that the arrogance you are referring to??? ;)

You haven't hung around here enough.  ;)

Many on this site much prefer the West to the East. In fact, there is an old quote from some golfer of significance claiming there is more architecture on the West - whatever that means.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
which western burb are you from?  I used to live and play at talamore.

What are your thoughts on Talamore?

Are you still in the area?

I live in Minnesota now (via Chicago).

Talamore is not a great course by any stretch of the imagination.  That said, it is not as bad as everyone says it is.   From a value perspective, though, especially if you live there, it is tough to beat, especially considering the middle tier of private clubs in the phily metro area

A few things

- Its a course built around a real estate development.   That limits lots of design right there and would make most of this board rank it a Doak 3 without much thought.

- some nice contours of greens and fairways and decent use of the (remaining trees).  The par 3s are actually pretty good.

- Given its location, it is very tied to Merck.  When the vioxx incident occurred and merck started cutting back, the club was hit hard.   This was the same time when they started cutting the rough short and doing some other things to make the club easier.

- A decent variety of holes; no one great hole (possible the par 3 8th), but definitely not a bad course

- The food in the clubhouse is actually very good

Scott Stearns

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Pats or Ginos.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 06:13:15 AM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »
Pats or Ginos.

My only preference is wiz wit...otherwise I'm not too picky.  But I'd probably go Geno's if I had to choose.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Thanks Joe.

Yep, sad to say but it's time for JoePa to move on.  I'm ready for the Urban Meyer era to begin.

Be careful what you wish for.   Gator fans think he's a head case.

Which Mackenzies did you like best?

That's kind of an unfair question.  It's relatively to play some Mackenzies if you grow up out west, not much of Dr Mac in your area!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back