News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Quirky Cotswolds Golf Break - Spring 2012
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 04:18:05 AM »
Robin. £46 that includes a breakfast. See you next weekend.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 04:31:47 AM »
Adrian

What is the state of play for the QCGB?  Who is going and how much space is there for hangers on?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:09 AM »
Sean - Theres space for you to golf on any of the days. We have lost Duncan & Brian. I assume Tony Muldoon and his friend are coming but I dont have emails.
Painswick Friday, Cleeve Cloud Saturday and Minchinhampton Old Sunday. Weather looks very good this week so the courses should be pretty good.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 05:11:26 AM »
Sean - Theres space for you to golf on any of the days. We have lost Duncan & Brian. I assume Tony Muldoon and his friend are coming but I dont have emails.
Painswick Friday, Cleeve Cloud Saturday and Minchinhampton Old Sunday. Weather looks very good this week so the courses should be pretty good.

Thanks Adrian.  Is there room for me to bring a few mates?  I am not sure which dates I am attend as I am definitely going with the weather report.  That said, unless the weather turns nasty, Painswick should be fine and I suspect they will not be on the dreadful temporary tee structures.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:14:03 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:42 AM »
Sean - Yes it wont be a problem at all.

Adrian

James Boon

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
Adrian,

Just to confirm I wont be able to join you all at Painswick on Friday, but will see you all that evening around 7.30 at the accommodation if thats okay? I hope someone has a trip out for a curry planned?  ::)

I'm then on for the Saturday and Sunday golf.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
Adrian

The physio has told me that golf is "out of the question" for 4 weeks, so what I plan to do is come down for a nice walk and a bit of a social on Saturday and Sunday, so will head directly to Cleeve Hill to meet up with the folks there and will therefore just need one night accommodation at Canons Court.  Please let me know what this will cost? 

Thanks

Robin

Beyond discussing golf course architecture, this really is what makes Golf Club Atlas great!

Guys like Robin willing to come and join in with the social side, even if he isn't able to play golf himself. Or when Brian Sheehy made the trip out to Liphook at last years Buda where he couldn't join us for the golf, just to meet us all for a few drinks and an evening meal!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
Boony - Yes I have already got you down for missing the Painswick golf, see you on the night.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
A good time with be had by one and all on those courses.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Adrian,

Just to confirm I wont be able to join you all at Painswick on Friday, but will see you all that evening around 7.30 at the accommodation if thats okay? I hope someone has a trip out for a curry planned?  ::)

I'm then on for the Saturday and Sunday golf.

Cheers,

James

I don't remember a curry spot in Painswick but there was a nice Italian place.

Niall C

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Pencil me in, though I think it would be better a few weeks later when there's less mud.

Well folks, the weekends nearly upon us and I'd like to think that after the weather we've had of late that there won't be much mud. Who's all confirmed and who else might be about on the Thursday night ?

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
Pencil me in, though I think it would be better a few weeks later when there's less mud.

Well folks, the weekends nearly upon us and I'd like to think that after the weather we've had of late that there won't be much mud. Who's all confirmed and who else might be about on the Thursday night ?

Niall
I think it will be a meet at 11 ish @ Painswick, I have times booked at 12. Not heard from Neil White.

James Boon

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
Adrian,

Sorry that this is a bit last minute, but I'm going to have to pull out I'm afraid.

Having spent the last few months with half the house as a building site, I was hoping to all be wrapped up by now, but we still have tons to do. Also the builders need to come back and want to come this weekend. I was hoping I'd be able to still fit the golf in but in the end its all making a weekend golfing a bit tricky.

A damn shame as I was looking forward to catching up with and meeting new friends. A poor show on my part, especially as Robin is coming along and he wont be able to play.

Sorry all and hope to catch up soon!

Cheers,

James

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »
Boony - you have brought great shame upon the name of Boon. 

I plan to be there at 11ish with Potts.  It will be interesting t see what he makes of The Pain.

Ciao

James Boon

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »
Sean,

I am truly ashamed!  :(

Hope everyone has a great few days!

Cheers,

James

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
AS I understand it, the economy has collapsed and at the only building site going the project is behind!  Personally I blame the Architect!!

Shame, we'll miss you James.

Just waiting for my driver to show up.

I have booked dinner for us at 7.45 if anyone else has too, lets talk.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2012, 05:47:01 AM »
I absolutely hate having to drop out, especially as Boony had talked me up so much :) but I am under doctor's orders to not walk much over the weekend, so i'm afraid i have to be a big girl's blouse and (literally) sit this one out.

Adrian, I hope we can do this again in the future, as I'm sure there are a good gaggle of us who are keen to get together on these great little courses.

Have a great weekend chaps.

Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

Ben Stephens

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 04:47:49 AM »
On behalf of fellow GCA'ers - I would like to thank Adrian for organising this quirky Cotswolds Break! I had enjoyed playing the three courses more than I thought I would.

The highlights were -

The green and surroundings details of all three courses were intricate and so natural - I have learned a lot and hope to implement some of those features at Westbury.

The hill climbs being a perfect Spring training for the upcoming summer golf season!

Tony Muldoon is a forgettable person - cap, jumpers etc you name it all! yet a very enthusiastic on golf courses and their features.

Niall Carlton for thinking that the Cotswolds were closer to Scotland than it actually was

David Nelson who was convinced that there was a glass surface hovering over every hole

Sean for pushing his mountain proof trolley all over these wee hills!

Adrian for his tour of the Players Club and providing the 5 star accomodation mews house.

My ecletic golf course out of the three would be:

1. Cleeve Cloud
  2. Cleeve Cloud
  3. Painswick
  4. Painswick
  5. Cleeve Cloud
  6. Painswick
  7. Cleeve Cloud
  8. Minchinhampton
  9. Minchinhampton
10. Minchinhampton
11. Painswick
12. Painswick
13. Cleeve Cloud
14. Cleeve Cloud
15. Painswick
16. Minchinhampton
17. Minchinhampton
18. Cleeve Cloud (none of these courses had a strong 18th)

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:53:45 AM by Ben Stephens »

Sean_A

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2012, 05:36:26 AM »
Yes, it was great to put a few more names to faces and see some old timers.  I didn't hear much talk about post golf sheenanigans so I am assuming the boys were tuckered after a few days of hill climbing.

Niall - the guy catches me off guard with a quick address and a slam

David - Cockeyed Nelson needs new glasses

Big Ben mashes the ball in a seemingly effortless fashion

Spangles - well, he is Spangles

Paul R - the quiet assassin

Ben

You eclectic is interesting and very close to mine.  I can also see why you chose the holes which are different to mine.

1. Minch: short par 5 - very cool shaping around the green

2. Cleeve Cloud: short par 4 - weird as hell green site

3. Pain: short par 4 - not a great selection of #3s

4. Pain: short par 4 - tough call against Cleeve, but the awesome greensite takes the day

5. Cleeve: medium par 4 - tough call against Minch, but once again, the great greensite takes the day

6. Pain: long par 3 - no brainer - best hole on any of the three courses

7. Pain: short par 3 - the odd little green takes the cake

8. Minch: longish par 3 - quite an easy choice

9. Cleeve: medium par 4 - tough call against Minch here as it has a lovely and very effective greensite

10. Pain: short par 3 - awesome blind hole which can flatter or deceive - just beats out Minch

11. Pain: very short par 4 - just a cool hole which begs golfers to bash away - just beats out Minch

12. Cleeve: long par 4 - great greensite

13. Cleeve: long par 4 - great greensite - needs two pix

14. Cleeve: long par 4 - easily the best of the three

15. Pain: short par 3 - not a great choice so Pain skims it

16. Minch: medium par 3 - all are good holes

17. Cleeve: medium par 4 - just an awesome quarry hole - its a shame the quirkies didn't get a chance to play the hole with the prevaling wind

18. Cleeve: medium par 4 - not a great choice of home holes

I reckon thats about 5000 yards with a par of 67.  Archies take note, it would be a tough course to play to your handicap!  

Ciao

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:40:18 AM by Sean Arble »

Niall C

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
Gents

A most enjoyable weekend, and yes, I will check my atlas next time I decide to sign up for one of these outings. Many thanks therefore to David, for doing the driving and being great company. Adrian, many thanks for orgainsing and giving us the tour of the Players club. Some great stuff, and need to get back to give it a play.

Everyone else, many thanks for the company. Always a pleasure to put faces to names.

Sean - if the balls there to be hit, why hang around ?!

Niall

ps. all three of these courses demonstrate that you don't need to play a great golf course to play some great golf holes. For example, each course had at least two if not more par 3's that could hold their own with any others on the great courses.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Well done, Adrian and great stuff everyone for the walks down memory row and places to look forward to.  And, yes, my heart will ache until I make my next trip to Painswick.....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ben Stephens

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »
Yes, it was great to put a few more names to faces and see some old timers.  I didn't hear much talk about post golf sheenanigans so I am assuming the boys were tuckered after a few days of hill climbing.

Niall - the guy catches me off guard with a quick address and a slam

David - Cockeyed Nelson needs new glasses

Big Ben mashes the ball in a seemingly effortless fashion

Spangles - well, he is Spangles

Paul R - the quiet assassin

Ben

You eclectic is interesting and very close to mine.  I can also see why you chose the holes which are different to mine.

1. Minch: short par 5 - very cool shaping around the green

2. Cleeve Cloud: short par 4 - weird as hell green site

3. Pain: short par 4 - not a great selection of #3s

4. Pain: short par 4 - tough call against Cleeve, but the awesome greensite takes the day

5. Cleeve: medium par 4 - tough call against Minch, but once again, the great greensite takes the day

6. Pain: long par 3 - no brainer - best hole on any of the three courses

7. Pain: short par 3 - the odd little green takes the cake

8. Minch: longish par 3 - quite an easy choice

9. Cleeve: medium par 4 - tough call against Minch here as it has a lovely and very effective greensite

10. Pain: short par 3 - awesome blind hole which can flatter or deceive - just beats out Minch

11. Pain: very short par 4 - just a cool hole which begs golfers to bash away - just beats out Minch

12. Cleeve: long par 4 - great greensite

13. Cleeve: long par 4 - great greensite - needs two pix

14. Cleeve: long par 4 - easily the best of the three

15. Pain: short par 3 - not a great choice so Pain skims it

16. Minch: medium par 3 - all are good holes

17. Cleeve: medium par 4 - just an awesome quarry hole - its a shame the quirkies didn't get a chance to play the hole with the prevaling wind

18. Cleeve: medium par 4 - not a great choice of home holes

I reckon thats about 5000 yards with a par of 67.  Archies take note, it would be a tough course to play to your handicap!  

Ciao

Sean,

Thanks for your version of the Cotswold Quirk Ecletic - I would say yours is more quirky than mine - I had assessed them based on the quality/playavbility/difficulty of the holes.

I was in between Cleeve Cloud and Minchinhampton - Cleeve got the vote as I thought it was more interesting from tee to green if it had Minchinhampton's surroundings it would then be a no brainer!

Still working on my swing! Control is better than agression - the driver was in pieces at Minch only one decent drive on the long 15th.

Both Cleeve and Minchinhampton definitely played longer than what was on the card. Probably because it had a couple of long par 4's in the mix with the short par 5's and par 3's

Cheers
Ben

Niall C

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2012, 08:30:59 AM »
Well done, Adrian and great stuff everyone for the walks down memory row and places to look forward to.  And, yes, my heart will ache until I make my next trip to Painswick.....

Rich

Rich

We were sitting in the clubhouse after our round at Painswick and right beside hanging on the wall was the clock presented to the club by golfclubatlas at the time of the Buda. As we were admiring it, the obviously proud greenkeeper, came up to us to inform us that it was presented by the European Association of Golf Course Architects. No one quite had the heart to put him right.

A great course. Not championship great, but great nonetheless.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »
Looks like everyone had a great time, just sorry I missed it!

Niall,

We were sitting in the clubhouse after our round at Painswick and right beside hanging on the wall was the clock presented to the club by golfclubatlas at the time of the Buda. As we were admiring it, the obviously proud greenkeeper, came up to us to inform us that it was presented by the European Association of Golf Course Architects. No one quite had the heart to put him right.
Niall

They are very proud of that clock and its always got a mention whenever I've been there, even without other GCAers.

Give it a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if it turn out to have been presented by Old Tom Morris himself?  ;D

Tony,

AS I understand it, the economy has collapsed and at the only building site going the project is behind!  Personally I blame the Architect!!

I'm not rising to that one!   >:(
 ;)

Cheers,

James

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
I had a great time and I did not even play. It was great to meet everyone and chat shop and Painswick looked the best I have seen it, the greens were as good as anywhere and it played F&F. Totally agree that birch has grown lots on the 9th now and needs the chop. It was great to find the lost 4th hole too, Ben and I went over earlier and looked at that green and its probably as small as the 10th, one of the members who was playing todays 4th remembered playing the hole...said it was a good un. I wonder if Painswick would be better reverting to the old 18th, that green is pretty wild, the new un does not find affection with our board.

I suppose maybe we should do it all again next year. Excellent company, thanks, Sean, Potts, Ben, Tony, Rich, Niall and Dave.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back