News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Quirky Cotswolds Golf Break - Spring 2012
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:45:37 AM »
Spring meet taking in some of the Quirky Cotswold Courses;

Friday 30th March Painswick GC  12.00
Saturday 31st March Cleeve Cloud GC  10.15
Sunday 1st April Minchinhampton Old 11.00

All Green fees and 2 nights accomodation with breakfast at Canons Court Mews (Wootton-under-edge) Cost £125 per person.

I have now booked this and the times we could change Cleeve Cloud to 13.00 if you think thats better.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:48:40 AM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

Re: Quirky Cotswolds Golf Break - Spring 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:00:15 AM »
Definitely interested.  Only potential issue is our eldest son's birthday, which is that week but shouldn't be a problem.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »
Definitely interested.  Only potential issue is our eldest son's birthday, which is that week but shouldn't be a problem.

No problem, bring him!

Adrian, might Painswick be a bit soggy then?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
Adrian you mentioned this before and I'm very interested and I've spoken ot one other who is likewise. Great price and thanks for offering. Can confirm soon.

Is there any way that an extra round at Kington could  be squeezed in on the Saturday or the Friday? I don’t get that way often and I really want to see all those courses. This could be for a  elect few who want to do it, but it means the clubs giving agreeable times and the others playing their one game early or late. 

(PS AS someone who’s done his fair share of organising,  I do hate the smartass who suggests improvements to the plan! )
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
Chaps, I very much like the idea of it and the price greatly appeals to my Scottish sensibilities. Can anyone advise of the best way to get down from Scotland. I'd prefer to drive however that might not be the best way to do it.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Niall, laddie,
ah'm no sae shure thone preis incloodes the gowf, ye ken!!!
Fooshaboysur!
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
Damn, thought I was onto the bargain of the year. Still interested though. However the journey there and back might make me think twice.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
Bill - Yes Late March might not be the best, but it was a date that was suggested in a previous thread, it can be moved if enough want to.

Kington could be done on the Saturday, Its further up I think its 90 minutes from the accomodation, Sean will know better, the accomodation is very close to the M5, Painswick and Minch in one day is very easy. I dont know the weekend green fee at Kington but its not crazy. Alternatively add Kington to Thursday or Monday.

The accomdation if we get 4 will be a cottage, if we get 12 or close too, its a 7 room, 12 bed lodge with Sky TV, its on a little 9 hole course so theres a bar and some good pubs.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
Nial I drove to Glenrothes a few months back and it was  nearly 6 hours, its under 4 hours to Gretna (274 miles). We have just bought a flat in Glenrothes (must speak to Marty, we got outbid on Goatmilk) and its 50-50 if you drive or fly, for 1 its cheapest to fly I expect, for 2 persons I would drive, its £200 fuel.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:54:37 AM »
Adrian, is Cleeve cloud the same as Cleeve Hill? If so, that's a unique course and I suspect GCA'ers would really enjoy it...
@Pure_Golf

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Michael - Yes, Cleeve Cloud is the more recent name for Cleeve Hill, which was Cotswold Hills before and Cheltenham before.

The price £125 is for 3 rounds of golf, 2 nights accomodation and 2 breakfasts.

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »
Nial I drove to Glenrothes a few months back and it was  nearly 6 hours, its under 4 hours to Gretna (274 miles). We have just bought a flat in Glenrothes (must speak to Marty, we got outbid on Goatmilk) and its 50-50 if you drive or fly, for 1 its cheapest to fly I expect, for 2 persons I would drive, its £200 fuel.

Adrian

Many thanks for that. I'm currently biding in Elgin during the week so thats another couple of hours onto the journey. However Mr Muldoon is advising me on alternative modes of transport so hopefully one way or another it will work.

BTW - Glenrothes ? I recall you mentioning you were looking at a business opportunity there. Did that come good ? Don't answer if its an impertinent question.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
Nial - I looked at 150 acres and a collection of farmbuildings, it was called Goatmilk. Quite a nice piece of land, nice views. It was next to a golf course and with the economy and over supply it would have been difficult, though it was a cheap lot. You could bid on just the buildings and 21 acres which is what I did but we got outbid. I ended up buying a wreck in Markinch, which is about 30 minutes from St Andrews, 45 from Gleneagles, Carnoustie. I think we can convert it into 4 twin rooms with en suites, so suitable for 8, with the idea of putting together some stay and play packages. A lot of our golf members will use it I think/hope.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 04:04:15 AM »
Spangles

Kington is probably a bridge too far for this trip.  It pairs better with Church Stretton. 

Michael

Cleeve Hill is the site of the Tewksbury muni course (although a lower slope is called Cleeve Cloud), the club name is Cleeve Cloud.

Adrian

I am interested in attending perhaps one or two days, but probably not spending the night(s).  I have another trip loosely planned to Saunton around this time.  Plus I was hoping to organize Burnham Break II (or maybe the Dealies would do a break as discussed) around this time, but I am happy to let that fall away if someone else (you!) is organizing a trip. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 05:12:32 AM »
Pencil me in, though I think it would be better a few weeks later when there's less mud.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 05:14:03 AM »
Adrian,

I'm certainly interested! The chance for a return trip to Painswick is not to be missed!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 05:24:20 AM »
I could move this to April 13 14 15... If you all prefer.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:19 AM »
I couldn't do that weekend.  I'm at Troon on the Friday.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
I couldn't do that weekend.  I'm at Troon on the Friday.

Me neither...wedding
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
The April date is dodgy for me as it is probably the weekend of the East Anglian Spring foursomes at Hunstanton (date to be confirmed by HGC)

Cheers
Ben

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
The dates we will work on is March 30th 31st and April 1st.

I am going stick with Painswick, Cleeve Cloud and Minchinhampton Old, some going back north could omitt Minch Old and do Kington.

I will provisionally book for 12 persons:

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Count me in, Adrian.

I'm very impressed that so many people already know their schedule for 2012.

Apart from my wife's and kids' birthdays the only things I have in my diary are this and Buda X!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:17 AM »
just booked the days/times etc.

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »
Adrian,

Its in my diary!

I may have to skip the golf on Sunday, but will confirm nearer the time.

Many thanks for organising this!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Adrian

Dates are in my diary.  If there are places still available down the road will likely want to play maybe Friday and Saturday.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back