News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

Is the Chanticleer course better than Wade Hampton?
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »
Had the pleasure of playing the Chanticleer course at Greenville CC yesterday.  It had been about 15 years since I had last played it and since then, the course was renovated by Rees.  I liked the course then and came away even more impressed.  On the drive home, my son and I discussed the merits of the Chanticleer course and the subject turned to how well does it compare to Wade Hampton.  The various rankings suggest that Wade is a much better course, but in my book, the Chanticleer course has more interesting shots and is more consistent in terms of quality and strategic interest.  The one factor, for what ever it is worth, is that Wade is a wonderful experience.

What makes Chanticeer so good and one of RTJ's best designs?  For me, every shot is interesting and the greens have a wonderful variety.  And last of all, it is a heck of test- other than bombing the ball, a golfer is tested on every facet of his game.

Thoughts on the two?

Brad Sheridan

Re: Is the Chanticleer course better than Wade Hampton?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »
Having played both, i agree. I may be biased in that i worked at Chanticleer for over a year and a half and have played it countless times. I have also played WH only once. Having said that I would agree with your assumption that shot for shot Chanticleer is a better (and tougher) golf course. I especially (even more so as a shorter hitter) appreciate that Chanticleer gets it done in less than 6900 yards. When Chanticleer was a part of the BMW pro am, the course was set up at closer to 6750 and was still the stiffest test of the three courses used. I think Chanticleer separates itself in that (as both you and Gene Sarazen have put it) it requires you to think about and hit the proper shot every single time or be left out of position (or worse). WH is no doubt a great track and probably a more luxurious experience (as greenville cc's clubhouse and most other amenities are located a mile away at its other course (and WH's setting is more scenic and remote)), but purely on the merits of the course I would pick Chanticleer. Again I may have a different opinion had i played WH the same amount as Chanticleer but the former offers a fun and fair test with nary a weak link in the 18.

Lawrence Largent

Re: Is the Chanticleer course better than Wade Hampton?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:54:21 PM »
I'm a new member at Chanticleer and have wondered the same thing.  Though i'm now biased.  I think it's just an unbelievable test of golf.  I always look at courses with the thought of does it keep my interest.   If you lose interest at Chanticleer you are in really big trouble.  Every shot you have to pay attention.  There are no let up holes to speak of and you have to consistently hit very good shots or you will be penalized heavily.  How this course is not a top 100 modern I don't understand.  Conditioning is top notch and there isn't a boring green out there.  I suggest if anyone has the chance to play it don't pass it up.  If anyone is in the area and would like to play either of the courses Riverside or Chanticleer just let me know.  I would love to host anyone would like to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back