News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Ross bunker types, what and where are they?
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
Lester George's comment on the Seminole thread and that I have recently played on 2 older but minor (they fall in the affordable golf category) Ross courses recently, prompted me to ask this question.

Have too many of them been altered over time to be able to recognize or categorize them now?

jeffwarne

Re: Ross bunker types, what and where are they?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
Lester George's comment on the Seminole thread and that I have recently played on 2 older but minor (they fall in the affordable golf category) Ross courses recently, prompted me to ask this question.

Have too many of them been altered over time to be able to recognize or categorize them now?

or perhaps....(gasp) they actually were  of several (or even many) different types due to soil,topography, grass or sand type, construction team, time spent on site by architect(if any), or architectural whim ;)-----thus reducing the credibility of a "Ross" expert who designs/"categorizes" them all the same way regardless of course during "restorations"

Can a Doak bunker be categorized? (I'd say not)

I'm guessing in 75 years they will not only be categorized, but there will be Doak experts splashing their one style of "Doak"  bunker on all his designs ::) ::)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:13:27 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back