News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Wine valley has a sand river.
Riviera Country Club has a Famous Barrance with a base filled with sand, and the addition of the Kikuyu to the banks.

It seems like a really smart and cool feature, relatively easy to maintain as less sand will blow out than a raised bunker lip, reasonable lies for golfers and they can find their ball and play their ball unlike a water hazard.

Easily shaped to provide interesting strategic elements, particularly diagonal carry features.

Does anyone know of other examples of this feature?

I am specifically referencing bases filled with sand type hazard...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:33:26 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: Sand rivers, Barrancas, are there many use of this design feature?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:13 AM »
In Fuerteventua, Playitas G.C. I had no choice but to include the barancos, some sandy but mainly dirt, in the design.
The site was relatively small and had 2 large barancos and 3 smaller “tributaries” running through it.

The barancos came often into play, cutting across fairways and twice before the greens.

Where appropriate the banks of the barancos were grassed with Paspalum to the base.
Up until now the barancos have remained “in play” without relief.

You can see the grassed banks of this barancos in front of the 5th Green at Playitas G.C:

As a hazard from a distance they look very penal – and most of them are.

The barancos near the greens are a fairly simple recovery as a wedge will do the job.
However the fairway barancos can be so deep that a wedge will have to suffice, with the respective loss of distance.

The best use I made of the barancos were as cart paths - whenever possible I transferred the carts into the barancos where they were perfectly hidden from sight.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:13:33 AM by John Chilver-Stainer »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
They are all over courses in the desert SW. Some of them are used very well as diagonal hazards. The big variance is playability. Some of them are the type where you can go in and hack the ball out in some form and others are ball-eating hazards that play like a creek. They are often referred to as a desert "wash" around here, but I'm not sure if that's a local term or not.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 09:44:35 AM »
The sand river at Wine Valley is one of the most ingenious features I have ever seen on a course.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »
They are a "wash" in Arizona.  Would you call the bunker in front of #2 green at Pebble a "sand creek"?

Desert Forest has one that runs along and across #7 and #9.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back